UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UB Growth and Dominance

ATL_DANE

Due primarily to the rapid expansion of the nano tech programs, Albany has passed both Buffalo and Stony Brook in direct research expenditures.

154 million for UA

149 million for SBU and

102 million for UB

BU is much smaller at 24 million. Albany was perennially 3rd until now.

woot!

Maybe we should rename the thread 'UA Growth and Dominance'.

That number...will be closer to 200mm before the end of the decade. STAGGERING!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Due primarily to the rapid expansion of the nano tech programs, Albany has passed both Buffalo and Stony Brook in direct research expenditures.

154 million for UA

149 million for SBU and

102 million for UB

BU is much smaller at 24 million. Albany was perennially 3rd until now.

I'm just wondering, where were these numbers found? What defines "direct research expenditures? The most recent report from the National Science Foundation showed the following:

School.....................................ALL R&D Expenditures...............Federal Government

SUNY Buffalo all campuses:...............$267 Million.............................$151 Million

SUNY Albany....................................$259 Million.............................$103 Million

SUNY Stony Brook all Campuses:.......$212 Million............................ $125 Million

Source

I'm not trying to make it an, "Our **** is bigger than your's" thread, just wondering what those numbers entail. Albany has no doubt increased its technology research capacity (kudos to your nanotech drive), but don't neglect UB's new New York State Center for Excellence in Informatics and Life Sciences, along with the potential for an official UB Medical Center, newly designated from one of the existing hospitals in Buffalo. SUNY is dolling out new centers of research excellence to both institutions, and performing the task wisely so there is minimal redundancy.

When it comes down to it, the UB 2020 initiative is good for all 4 SUNY Center's, as part of our plan involves lobbying for SUNY Central to separate us ALL from the Colleges by allowing us to raise tuition as the Center's see fit. Our plan is also not just about growth, but also helping to pull the Western New York economy up off it's face, even if it is only $1.1 Billion of overall economic impact ($1.5 Billion now, $2.6 projected). The best part for the students is the re-design of many places on all three campuses to create more memorable and appealing streetscapes (Especially our North Campus. Bluh!). You can read more at UB2020

I wish the talk of UB returning to 1-AA would cease, but all of us fans understand how others perceive our team's play. It's just, we have invested so much into 1-A and the MAC, and we have not dropped any of our Olympic sports as other schools have (wrestling, baseball, tennis) AND we have kept women's crew, which is a big money drain needed to balance out our men's scollies (although our crew team performs much better than our other sports).

Holy cow, I have to end this now, UB just posted plans for the instillation of a new video board at UB Stadium, and I have to break the news on our fan-site. No joke. Not a dig at Albany's situation, I think it stinks that Albany is left with D-3 football facilities. The school deserves better. I know because I attended Albany out of high school (1996, Albany was at D-2 sports level) before transferring to UB (UA_MA_2000, I know you relate to some degree to my situation).

Holy cow, I have to end this now, UB just posted plans for the instillation of a new video board at UB Stadium, and I have to break the news on our fan-site. No joke. Not a dig at Albany's situation, I think it stinks that Albany is left with D-3 football facilities. The school deserves better.

lol

Holy cow, I have to end this now, UB just posted plans for the instillation of a new video board at UB Stadium, and I have to break the news on our fan-site. No joke. Not a dig at Albany's situation, I think it stinks that Albany is left with D-3 football facilities. The school deserves better.

lol

Anyone know why UB's getting the spoils while UA is getting hosed in all of this? Can it be chalked up to an oblivious governor, lack of a president, or both?

UA needs a Simpson...not a DeFleur or Kenney. UA needs ANYONE at this point and elongating the president search is only leading to a chain reaction of things being in flux at the school that damages our outward view to the community and beyond. If McElroy says that the Capital Region needs this stadium, why then haven't we seen a major PR campaign--TU, news stories, that sort of thing--for it?

lol

Anyone know why UB's getting the spoils while UA is getting hosed in all of this? Can it be chalked up to an oblivious governor, lack of a president, or both?

UA needs a Simpson...not a DeFleur or Kenney. UA needs ANYONE at this point and elongating the president search is only leading to a chain reaction of things being in flux at the school that damages our outward view to the community and beyond. If McElroy says that the Capital Region needs this stadium, why then haven't we seen a major PR campaign--TU, news stories, that sort of thing--for it?

What are you talking about? How are we getting hosed. IN 1991, local business leaders wanted the World Games to go to Buffalo. The state also wanted it. They gave UB millions for the stadium and facility upgrades. 1990, UA got the RACC money. 2000 or so, Bing, Stony, Albany, all were up for dormitory authority infrastructure $$$. Bing built the Events Center (they needed it) while LaValle helped steer the money towards a football stadium down on the island.

Albany's President Hitchcock built a sculpture studio, new parts of CESTM, the life science building, upgraded cable/phone/internet lines for the dorms, police facility, upgrade the roads to make more space, and helped start the new housing. All (but for the sculpture) were necessary.

Sure, not having a President hurts because quite frankly...we need one ASAP for many things...including big donations for the stadium.

Additionally, McElroy and Ford have been all over the place about the stadium. We have project 2010 (though it will be later) on the website. We have announced the start of phase 2.

So, while I am pissed and want the football stadium...I am not sure what Scrabbleship is talking about. We used our $$ in other ways.

lol

What are you talking about? How are we getting hosed.

UA needs the money for a stadium before UB needs a video screen. Our stadium is the shame of DI-FCS and there are nicer facilities at some NAIA schools and everything seems to be at a standstill.

2000 or so, Bing, Stony, Albany, all were up for dormitory authority infrastructure $$$. Bing built the Events Center (they needed it) while LaValle helped steer the money towards a football stadium down on the island.

Albany's President Hitchcock built a sculpture studio, new parts of CESTM, the life science building, upgraded cable/phone/internet lines for the dorms, police facility, upgrade the roads to make more space, and helped start the new housing. All (but for the sculpture) were necessary.

So while Bing and Stony get state-of-the-art facilities for sports, we spent our money on the physical plant, a unnecessary sculpture studio, and the cash grab known as Empire Commons. So-so usage of money if you ask me, especially the sculpture studio that was a total waste and has no right to exist.

Sure, not having a President hurts because quite frankly...we need one ASAP for many things...including big donations for the stadium.

Why then, at such a crucial time in the school's history, is the school taking two years to find one? Why not name Herbst the president now and save the time and money of a search when the future of the school is riding on a president that the school is taking its merry time with? SUNY Plaza should have put pressure on UA to have had a president by now, not to be getting started to find one by now, and that is a very, VERY bad move.

Additionally, McElroy and Ford have been all over the place about the stadium. We have project 2010 (though it will be later) on the website. We have announced the start of phase 2.

Why then do I not see big pieces in the TU about the severe need for this stadium? Why then do we not have billboards or mass mailings to build support? Why no radio ads? The community needs to get behind this so pressure can be put on UA to build this or on SUNY Plaza to put a president in now, not waiting a year on top of another year.

In a good world, Herbst or Phyllis Hall would have been named president already. Why UA didn't amazes me and makes me wish that SUNY would reassign someone from one of the smaller schools here.

Frankly, you are a nothing more than someone who bitches about everyone...starting with Will Brown...and now here.

Furthermore, you clearly don't understand the process:

First,. UA WAS SUBPAR TO UB AND SBU IN THE MINDS OF MANY. Getting Empire Commons, CESTM, GenSYis has BOOSTED OUR STATURE...so we can get more things for athletics.

Second, hey, I hate the fact we have a sculpture studio...but it was done.

Third, we have a better overall athletic program than ALL FOUR SUNY's right now. Yeah, UB players in the higher MAC...but they have $iena to show for it. So...OUR $$$ have been spent wisely...thank you Dr. McElroy.

Finally, how the heck does UB's scoreboard correlate to our stadium. THE STATE DID NOT PAY FOR IT...UB USED ITS FUNDS AS NEEDED.

Why to we constantly have to rehash this bull$iena to Scrabbleship and ATL_DANE. Why are you so dramatic (e..g. the most crucial time in school history...whatever...go call SUNY CENTRAL ABOUT THE PRESIDENT...and STOP BITCHING ON SPORTS BOARD.)

Since when is Phyllis Hall the qualified candidate to be President. I have met and talked with the late Dr. Hall, but being a wife of someone who is qualified does not make you innately qualified.

GROW THE FUDGE UP ALREADY! All I hear is complain, complain, complain.

I would bet you my donation to athletics (another forthcoming) that you haven't offered anything to this school's athletics in the way of financial or lobbyist support.

DO SOMETHING WITH YOUR TIME...and HELP THE SCHOOL; Anyone can bitch.

Dane96,

While I agree with the premise of your post....it reads like you are screaming the WHOLE time. IMO it detracts from the meat and potatoes of your post. Scrabble, from what I can gather is a student at UA, why not just take what he says with a grain/pound of salt?

The posters are just raising valid concerns. Like a parent, we are interested in seeing the university grow and be successful. These concerns should not be classified as 'complaining'. There is no point turning a blind eye for the sake of being positive. We have had great success but we have a long way to go. I agree, I think the point has been made at nauseum. I would suggest dropping the topic for now and reappraise our progress after another academic year. I do think it's very valid to keep a sharp eye on our competitiors... yes, Buffalo is a competitor and should be thought of that way. It's good people are engaged and talking but Dane96 is correct to the extent that the topic is beat. Let it go.

Dane96,

While I agree with the premise of your post....it reads like you are screaming the WHOLE time. IMO it detracts from the meat and potatoes of your post. Scrabble, from what I can gather is a student at UA, why not just take what he says with a grain/pound of salt?

Thanks for the lesson.

It is called POINTING OUT SPECIFICS...simply because people tend to gloss over them. Analytical skills..are lacking by many. Before LOL, IMHO, etc., putting things in caps was a point of emphasis in regular writing.

But again, thanks for the lesson. :blush:

Dane96,

Thanks for the lesson.

It is called POINTING OUT SPECIFICS...simply because people tend to gloss over them. Analytical skills..are lacking by many.

You're welcome!

Archived