UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

One other complaint - an event staffer told my wife she couldn't ring her cowbell - very disappointing. Said it was some kind of conference (?) rule.

NCAA rule against artificial noise makers. That's why there are no "Thunder Sticks" at college games.

An (asinine) rule that is all RPI's fault...or at least RPI was the last straw that put it into place. I'm for its removal, anyone agree?

One other complaint - an event staffer told my wife she couldn't ring her cowbell - very disappointing. Said it was some kind of conference (?) rule.

NCAA rule against artificial noise makers. That's why there are no "Thunder Sticks" at college games.

An (asinine) rule that is all RPI's fault...or at least RPI was the last straw that put it into place. I'm for its removal, anyone agree?

How did RPI affect the rule?

How did RPI affect the rule?

From the Wikipedia article on the Houston Field House.

The 1987 "Big Red Freakout!" event featured plastic horns as the giveaway. These horns made Houston Field House reverberate with noise - so much noise, in fact - that the evening's opponent, Brown, filed a complaint with the NCAA. In turn, this led to the creation of what is today known as "the RPI rule" nationwide, which prohibits fans from bringing artificial noisemakers into NCAA events.

From the Wikipedia article on the Houston Field House.

The 1987 "Big Red Freakout!" event featured plastic horns as the giveaway. These horns made Houston Field House reverberate with noise - so much noise, in fact - that the evening's opponent, Brown, filed a complaint with the NCAA. In turn, this led to the creation of what is today known as "the RPI rule" nationwide, which prohibits fans from bringing artificial noisemakers into NCAA events.

I have been meaning to catch up with everybody for a while now, as it has been a long summer, but I can't resist this one stupid question:

I noticed that the regulation clearly states artificial noisemakers. What's stopping me from bringing a rooster to the game and pinching it every time I want noise?

Archived