UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Nominees for SUNY Board of Trustees

UAalum72

Ok...so i will pipe in on this.

First, I think consolidation is LOOOOONG overdue. Second, the S should be dropped from SUNY. Stupid from the get. Third, we have to think of a space issue. Arguably, the school that has the most to lose is actually Binghamton. As academically solid they are, Binghamton is not a research school like Stony Brook, Buffalo, and Albany are. They would have to spend probably close to a billion $ to get to the research level (including infrastructure for labs, etc) that the others are at.

That being said, space would be a MAJOR issue in consolidation. Albany has a space issue, compared to that of the other three. For Albany to see the size growth Spitzer discusses, he would also have to negotiate a sweetheart deal for Harriman. It is LONG overdue, but Albany should be taking the ENTIRE Harriman complex. Forget consolidation, we are nearing 20k students. In 10 years...it will be closer to 25k....20 years...30-35k. Quite frankly, we don't have that space right now.

When it is all said and done, this must all come down to a name change. I dont know how each school is going to react. Are they going to want to lose there identities and become Western (Buffalo), Northern/Central (Bing), Central/Northern/Eastern (Albany), and Southern (Stony Brook), UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK.

If you go two systems (highly unlikely), who is going to be NYS and who is going to be UNY?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I never see less than 3 or 4 flagships, I prefer just using the city names. Before nano we we're 3rd in reseach, and if that's the criteria for who's the flagship, it can change from year to year. Binghamton could become the leader in "the next big thing" and they could be no. 1. UNY? I don't care for it, and NYU is already taken.

Consolidation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forget UAlbany.......

New York State University it is!!!!!!!!!!!

Make UB, University of New York

Make Stony Brook......well forget SBU.....Long Island is a whole different state anyway isn't it? :D

As I never see less than 3 or 4 flagships, I prefer just using the city names. Before nano we we're 3rd in reseach, and if that's the criteria for who's the flagship, it can change from year to year. Binghamton could become the leader in "the next big thing" and they could be no. 1. UNY? I don't care for it, and NYU is already taken.

New York University (NYU) is taken, but SUNY can still use "UNY" or "University of new York".

My guess is the names will stay, but I think we can still have a "University of New York at Albany/Buffalo/Stonybrook/Bingo".

It's not my decision but... I see city names as a poor choice for anything that appears to be a state flagship or national university. If you're going to "kick off" something as big as decreeing a flagship(s), seems like a good time to choose the right name. Fix the problem once and for all. I've said it many times. My view of why city names are a bad idea.

• They don't differentiate a school's tier. New Paltz vs. Albany vs. Buffalo State, which is a flagship?
  • They hinder a state from gaining notoriety for their system. I didn't know UAlbany was SUNY or even NY?
  • They are counter to most state systems and leads to confusion (Kent State vs. Ohio State / Kennesaw vs Georgia)
  • The names aren't accurate. Even today UA has a growing campus in East Green Bush. I thought they were in Albany?
  • They tend not to be unique. There's about 6 Albanys nationally (one with a state college)
  • They tend to create infighting over political territory. Why does the Bronx care about Suny Albany?
  • "New York" has selling attributes to potential students, faculty, athletes etc that "Albany" does not. Hey Texas recruit, want to come to Albany?

We all have opinions and in the end it doesn't matter what we think but that's my 2 cents.

New York University (NYU) is taken, but SUNY can still use "UNY" or "University of new York".

My guess is the names will stay, but I think we can still have a "University of New York at Albany/Buffalo/Stonybrook/Bingo".

I agree 100%. Bare minimum drop the freaking "S" in SUNY. We can go with the UNC model. UNY Albany, Buffalo etc.

As a side note, I had a girl laugh in my face when I said I attended SUNY. She thought I was was joking and mistook it for the pig call sooey (sp). Anyway, she never heard of it. Florida State graduate.... says it all.

As a side note, I had a girl laugh in my face when I said I attended SUNY. She thought I was was joking and mistook it for the pig call sooey (sp). Anyway, she never heard of it. Florida State graduate.... says it all.

I just have one question: WAS SHE GOOD LOOKING? If so...let her laugh away. Other than that, Florida State is the prime example of flagship naming-- Yes, film and public admin programs are great-- But I would take my Albany education over my cousin's FSU education...any day of the week.

I just have one question: WAS SHE GOOD LOOKING? If so...let her laugh away. Other than that, Florida State is the prime example of flagship naming-- Yes, film and public admin programs are great-- But I would take my Albany education over my cousin's FSU education...any day of the week.

Absolutely! :D

I just have one question: WAS SHE GOOD LOOKING?

For a Florida girl?... In a word 'no'. Florida colleges, especially U of Florida, have the best looking student bodies. AMAZING!

I'm always torn though when I'm asked where I went to college... do I say UAlbany or SUNY? Either way it has no name recognition and will get me a blank stare.

I usually just say a New York school and leave it at that... who cares.

I'm with Alum73 on this. A school's name recognition is built on it's reputation. UAlbany needs to continue its development as a strong research institution with equally strong academic programs, and for us athletic supporters, whether small, medium, large, or extra large, continued progress of our teams at the D1 level.

I'm always torn though when I'm asked where I went to college... do I say UAlbany or SUNY? Either way it has no name recognition and will get me a blank stare.

I usually just say a New York school and leave it at that... who cares.

Ha- I usually just say 'Albany'...and follow up with 'it's a state university in New York' if they give me a puzzled look. :)

Do any of you really think that UNY Albany is any better than SUNY Albany? If SUNY sounds too close to sunny or even a pig call, I can only imagine that nicknames coming from UNY...unitard? uni-what?

And SUNY does tier (name-wise) the schools. We are the University at Albany..New Paltz, Brockport, Cortland, etc are all college. Past that, there's not much one can do to control what name each campus unofficially brands themselves with (ie, UAlbany).

And just because I'm too lazy to quote a post, D96's enrollment estimates are quite a bit off, at least officially. Just before President Hall passed (6/06), he stated that the enrollment goal for 2010 was 18,000 total grad and undergrad (current's just a bit over 17,000), but wasn't even sure if that was possible. While we certainly have been growing over the past few years, our total yearly enrollment increases have been in the low to mid hundreds of students, not high hundreds or thousands..and much of that over the past few years has been due to higher enrollment per acceptance rates than admissions/enrollment management have anticipated. Not really too germain to the discussion, but just wanted to point that out.

Do any of you really think that UNY Albany is any better than SUNY Albany? If SUNY sounds too close to sunny or even a pig call, I can only imagine that nicknames coming from UNY...unitard? uni-what?

And SUNY does tier (name-wise) the schools. We are the University at Albany..New Paltz, Brockport, Cortland, etc are all college. Past that, there's not much one can do to control what name each campus unofficially brands themselves with (ie, UAlbany).

And just because I'm too lazy to quote a post, D96's enrollment estimates are quite a bit off, at least officially. Just before President Hall passed (6/06), he stated that the enrollment goal for 2010 was 18,000 total grad and undergrad (current's just a bit over 17,000), but wasn't even sure if that was possible. While we certainly have been growing over the past few years, our total yearly enrollment increases have been in the low to mid hundreds of students, not high hundreds or thousands..and much of that over the past few years has been due to higher enrollment per acceptance rates than admissions/enrollment management have anticipated. Not really too germain to the discussion, but just wanted to point that out.

No offense to Dr. Hall, however long-range growth planning happened WAY before him...all the way to Swygert's days. Not sure how my numbers are WAY off. We have nearly 18000 students now (17,500+). We are growing particular programs, cost of private schools are ever increasing, and the governor is talking about consolidating. Once the space issue is taken care of (and those I know in the NYS government maintain that UA will be getting a large piece of Harriman...but they feel we need it all)...there will be a massive increase in students due to consolidation and the factors above.

Before she left, Hitchcock was talking about 20k without consolidation...without the growth of Nano...etc.

Additionally, the independent "MONITOR", also predicts the rapid growth of Albany and, for that matter, all State schools across the country. Heck...RUTGERS is now nearly 50,000 students...a huge increase over previous years.

We are pretty much at Dr. Hall's 18,000 projection and we are still 3 educational cycles away from 2010. So, with all the factors above (and more) whose to think that an increase of 7,000 students wont happen in the next 10 years. Exact numbers-- No...However, I would be shocked if we didnt grow to nearly 23,000 students in that time if Spitzer gets his way by combining the consolidation with the average 5-year growth pattern at SUNY overall overall at 7.5%.

To think the campus cant grow by 13,000 students in 20-25 years, is exactly the type of thinking that has us mired in the "no national identity" crisis we are currently in. Finally, the other three centers have grown by 2000 students over five years. We have not because of space issues-- Something I pointed out that gives the other schools a boost over us. Now, over 10 years...that is 4000 students...again coming in line with 22-23000 WITHOUT consolidation in 10 years. Toss in consolidation...and you have your 25k.

Now...if we don't consolidate...I would concur. Remember, Dr. Hall was not living (unfortunately) during the Spitzer regime.

PLANNING.....

I do agree with Dane96 on acquiring part or all of the Harriman State Office campus. UAlbany could definitely use more space. Getting all of it is remote but we need some more space for growth.

I have been told the price tag is OUTRAGEOUS for all of it...however a sizeable chunk (about 1/2) could go UA's way.

Archived