UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

SUNY Commission

ATL_DANE

Hey, maybe our President could go to bat for us......oh wait.....

That the point I've been trying to make......while SBU and BU are working we appear to be sitting with our thumb up our butt. This is just my perception based on what I've been reading FWIW. I don't pretend to me an expert in whats going on but there appears to be a huge amount of maneuvering by BU and SBU while we hover on the periphery. The untimely death of our late President Hall was a terrible and sad event but life has to go on. How much longer is it going to take to get a permanent/stable leader to LEAD our university? President Hall had a great vision, one he only began to implement but unfortunately his time was cut short. If the strides and moment he spear headed were to come to a screeching halt it would be a SHAME. BU's president is on the comitte and obviously pulling very hard for BU, we lack that voice.

I know there are politics involved, approval processes etc. but where are we with getting a permanent leader in place?

I know there are politics involved, approval processes etc. but where are we with getting a permanent leader in place?

Growth or no, I think they could have waited until we had a president before they started this commission. Is it really fair for us to have no real representation and to be at the mercy of other places because we're without leadership? Would it be really fair for any other school?

I don't mean to delve into wacko conspiracy theories, but UB and SBU basically have Albany where they want them in this. Both areas hold some resentment towards Albany as a place (Long Island given their money is funding upstate, Buffalo because they're at the mercy of state government), they know Albany is vulnerable right now with a lack of leadership, and they know that getting their way screws Albany over because they can steamroll what they want. Forget the fact that Buffalo is closer to South Bend than Southampton or that Stony Brook is just close to Jamestown VA as it to Jamestown NY, Albany by geography alone should be considered let alone how they've done so much with so little.

The commission should not make any rulings until Albany has a president in place. If not, OIC Philip should fight for Albany as hard as he can. If Simpson or Strum Kenney was to suddenly die, would UB and SBU be in the same boat as us?

Well hopefully the governor and the state government will read the report and the accompanying statistics, including the research dollars associated with UAlbany already (standing 2nd only to Buffalo, with percentage growth in line with Buffalo also), and not tolerate for the University representing the New York State capitol from not being a part of any flagship tagging.

They do mention the four University centers as a group many times in the report.

Although it wasn't very appropriate not to highlight the name University of Albany, these people are only giving an assessment. They are making statements like:

.."The 1985 report of the Independent Commission on the Future of the State University of New York, The Challenge and the Choice, recommended that the university centers at Buffalo and Stony Brook be treated as comprehensive research centers. It was prescient advice. National Science Foundation academic research data for FY2005 and 2006 reveal that both universities—Buffalo and Stony Brook—are rapidly increasing their share of national research dollars." ...

They are using analysis from 1985 first of all.

Second of all, the University of Albany has kept pace with Buffalo in terms of research dollars, and continues to dwarf Stony Brook.

It seems to me the governor takes pride in the State University sytem, and in the city in which he governors the State, and will want to include Albany equally in projected investment. I would assume the State government would also feel the same way. After all, I'm sure most of them know how important our NanoTech research has been, as well as all of the other research programs, including our Cancer Research Center.

Other States seem to have gone with the one or two campus flagship thing, but New York has always done things a little differently. Maybe four flagships would be possible, if they have any intention of labeling any 'flagships' through this whole thing.

I can't imagine UAlbany, with its impressive research programs already in place, being forgotten or labeled 'less important' than the others.

Let's hope our University being located in the state capital plays a huge role.

Ok. This was a preliminary report. What's next for the members of the commission? Is there contribution finished, or will they being doing something else down the road?

The governor has received the report. What's the next step in this process?

As ordered by the governor:

10. The Commission shall issue a preliminary report of its findings and recommendations on or before December 1, 2007. The initial report shall be made in a form and with sufficient specificity to assist the Governor and the Legislature in the budgeting process. The Commission shall issue a final report of its findings and recommendations on or before June 1, 2008. The report shall be submitted to the Governor, the Speaker of the Assembly, the Majority Leader of the Senate, the Minority Leader of the Assembly, the Minority Leader of the Senate, the Commissioner of Education, the Chancellor of SUNY, the Chancellor of CUNY and the Chancellor of the New York State Board of Regents.

As ordered by the governor:

10. The Commission shall issue a preliminary report of its findings and recommendations on or before December 1, 2007. The initial report shall be made in a form and with sufficient specificity to assist the Governor and the Legislature in the budgeting process. The Commission shall issue a final report of its findings and recommendations on or before June 1, 2008. The report shall be submitted to the Governor, the Speaker of the Assembly, the Majority Leader of the Senate, the Minority Leader of the Assembly, the Minority Leader of the Senate, the Commissioner of Education, the Chancellor of SUNY, the Chancellor of CUNY and the Chancellor of the New York State Board of Regents.

It would seem to me that the government officials above, the ones that will be receiving these reports, will be heavily involved with what is actually done after reviewing the commissions recommendations. It would also seem to me that lobbying these officials is quite important, defending the interests of the University of Albany and Binghamton.

As for OIC Philip, I wonder what his intention is, when it comes to lobbying for UAlbany in all of this. Will he be involved, actively involved, or not involved in defending our interests as a major University center in SUNY. Does he need encouragement to do so?

:ninja:

If anyone feels they can put together a highly intellectual statement............ these may help.

Governor Spitzer: http://161.11.121.121/govemail

Senate Majority Leader Joe Bruno: http://www.senatorbruno.com

Senate Minority Leader Malcom Smith: http://www.nyssenate14.com

Assembly Speaker: http://assembly.state.ny.us/mem/?ad=064&sh=con

Assembly Minority Leader: http://assembly.state.ny.us/mem/?ad=110&sh=con

President of The University of the State of New York (USNY) and Commissioner of Education: Richard P. Mills

Interim SUNY Chancellor: Dr. John B. Clark

Archived