UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

State of the State

ATL_DANE

A local media channel returned my call. They felt it merited further investigation and are looking into it.

I've done what I could to save my alma mater from a future of mediocrity. I live in Atlanta now. If the people of the Capitol District and UAlbany stakeholders specifically don't care, why should I?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is the timeline for implementing this? Are we looking at years before any of this even comes close to coming to fruition? I'm sure Binghamton isn't happy about this since they consider themselves the Premier Public University in the Northeast. They must be going ape as well.

From a quick glance of the Press-Bulletin's website, the silence there is even greater than the silence there. The greater concern down there is how Spitzer didn't mention anything about Binghamton--the city, let alone the school--in the state of the state. Maybe it's because Western NY gets crapped on and that Stony Brook is in NYC's shadow, but it could be that it's UB and SB jumping to conclusions rather than UA taking it like Doomsday.

If I'm not mistaken, the legislature with the governor will put this plan into action. With the money being tight....projected deficit this year is 4Bill.....who knows what movement he'll get on this issue. I just hope the people who represent the CD.....are aware that we are being left behind. Thats why we should all voice our concerns to the people who can and should be looking out for the best interest of the CD.

If I'm not mistaken, the legislature with the governor will put this plan into action. With the money being tight....projected deficit this year is 4Bill.....who knows what movement he'll get on this issue.

Here's how the funding process for SUNY/CUNY is described in the State of the State

"Given the investments we must make and the sheer size of our higher education system, this endowment initially should be at least $4 billion, which would generate $200 million in operating funds each year.

Where’s the money going to come from? We should unlock some of the value of the New York State Lottery, either by taking in private investment or looking at other financing alternatives. As we do this, we will assure that the State continues to regulate all lottery games, and that we continue to receive the more than $2 billion annually for K to 12 education that the lottery now provides."

The discussion between the governor and the legislature becomes one of methodology for funding the endowment, not within the context of the FY0-09 budget appropriation. Unless of course they reduce the SUNY state appropriation because the SUNY system will be getting all this money from the endowment :-/

I contacted the Albany affiliates of ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox and the TU. ABC (Channel 10) said they were making some calls to inquire what the facts were. I explained that a flagship is the center piece of the university system. In the future, Buffalo and Stony Brook would logically be receiving disproportionate funding, resources and faculty. Long Island and Buffalo would receive jobs and millions of dollars from the growing campuses. The flagship is by design the best university in the system and is suppose to be the face of the university system. Once the designation of "flagship" was granted, this would be permanent. It would make logical sense to build up those "flagship" campuses. In sum, UAlbany was taking a huge hit to it's prestige. It was a peer to UB and SBU. It would now be an inferior university by design. In addition, the Capitol District would lose out on the prestige, funding and growth associated with having a flagship in town. I fully understand UB being a flagship but why SBU? I thought we were trying to help Up State? When did Long Island become a part of Up State?

Anyway, so as I said I heard from ABC. They were looking into it. The TU thanked me and added a little blurb to their "Capitol Confidential". I don't think they understand what the economic impact is to the Capitol District. I'm not sure if the UAlbany community realizes what being passed over as a flagship means? I means a hell of a lot!

Per TU:

"2) The University at Albany.

Spitzer used the magic word — flagship — in talking about his goals for the University of Buffalo and the University at Stony Brook. ”UB will become an economic engine for Buffalo, and a flagship institution for a world class public university system,” he said.

But UAlbany? Binghamton? No word on his plans for them. "

http://blogs.timesunion.com/capitol/?p=6132

ATL,

You are to be applauded for your efforts. Any idea what this "big" thing is at SB?

I was on this all day. Power of the press!

I didn't ask about what was going on at SBU. At least we have Ron Canestrari on record that this "flagship" will not happen without UA. I would have rather heard it directly from Spitzer but I'll take Ron Canestrari's word that Spitzer's people are on board with UA.

Thanks for the video link Bosiydid! Being outta state can be tough.

Personally, I think this was a trial balloon. I think if there was no push back, the plan was to go with SBU and UB as flagships. The alumni are watching over UA. Don't mess with the alma mater. UA is as good as UB and SBU and should be treated equally. If they get "flagship" status so should we.

Thanks for the video link Bosiydid! Being outta state can be tough.

Personally, I think this was a trial balloon. I think if there was no push back, the plan was to go with SBU and UB as flagships. The alumni are watching over UA. Don't mess with the alma mater. UA is as good as UB and SBU and should be treated equally. If they get "flagship" status so should we.

I agree.....I've been at it for the last day and a half also. I simply am not willing at this point to accept that we will become a second fiddle to someone else. To many good things going on at UA. I don't know how many are on board, but it would behoove us ALL to at least make your voice heard to the local representatives and the University. Take a minute to author an e-mail to the likes of Canestrari to show them that this issue IS important to the community.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil (in this case evil empire, SB) is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Archived