UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Coach Brown: Blog Entry

Well, King Dane likes to stir up controversy for no reason. Clearly he has to be the protector of another...because nothing was posted at him.

Patch said it simple- We are not coaches. Some were attacking players etc. It is not our job...and that was the PREMISE of my post.

A NY Ranger coming off the ice in the Boston Garden said it so eloquently that he had Bruin fans in stitches-- this was said to some armchair coach-- "HEY Buddy,how about I come to your accounting office, stand over your shoulder...and talk $iena about the way you do your job--- Would you like that?

And as we pointed out in the diatribes, some of us were saying, like WILL, that it is not about threes...but who takes them and when. Others, and the discussion has been ended for a week, stated that it was just about threes. And if you are going post bull$iena...post what he said: "Beautiful. That’s what we need. We don’t need to be chucking them from the cheap seats."

That is a CLEAR reference to one player who has the range and ability...but just not hitting them. Said player noticeably did not jack up shots in our BU game...it was funny to watch because you can see him GO UP ready to shoot...and pull it back down like Will was saying "I WILL BREAK YOUR ARMS OFF."

Clearly I posted the stats that showed we are shooting less of them...but the issue is WHERE we are shooting them from.

Are we going to move on...or is our friend in Florida going to stir up a two week old controversy because he has nothing better to do? I am done posting about the topic. Have been for a week.

Time to move on and find new things to debate.

Like - hopefully we'll get a night we're we'll have 3 or 4 offensive players having good nights at the same time.

To be honest I am probably willing to wait until the AE tournament and hope it happens then at the right time.

As Coach Brown has said either in the media or on his blog, he's confident this team has alot of room for growth.

D96,

I agree it's an old topic, and I was just trying to bring up the irony behind it all - I got chastized for my comments and coach echoed similar sentiments. Also, I didn't just complain about the number of 3's but I didn't like certain players shooting them. Anyways, in reference to your Rangers comment. There is a HUGE difference.

If I go to a game, I'm paying to watch my team produce. Or perhaps I'm paying for things indirectly- i.e my tuition at the time, helped pay for the team, or my tax dollars go to building an arena where the games are played. So, I am correct in critiquing or questioning certain things. However, if I'm just standing over some random guy and shouting at him to do his job better and have no vested interest in it, then I'm just being provocative.

How is us commenting or criticizing the University's current state any different from us doing the same for the Men's basketball team or any sport in general? Plenty of us have complained about the budgeting etc., and the way the money is spent. A lot of us also want a football stadium and feel that should be pushed to the forefront and made a priority. I guess it's ok for the CFO or person who is in charge of the budget to say "Hey buddy, how about you come to my office and do my job etc.", without any response being warranted? I hope you can see the difference. Using your logic, we would be wrong to question them as well.

Nope.

D96,

I agree it's an old topic, and I was just trying to bring up the irony behind it all - I got chastized for my comments and coach echoed similar sentiments. Also, I didn't just complain about the number of 3's but I didn't like certain players shooting them. Anyways, in reference to your Rangers comment. There is a HUGE difference.

If I go to a game, I'm paying to watch my team produce. Or perhaps I'm paying for things indirectly- i.e my tuition at the time, helped pay for the team, or my tax dollars go to building an arena where the games are played. So, I am correct in critiquing or questioning certain things. However, if I'm just standing over some random guy and shouting at him to do his job better and have no vested interest in it, then I'm just being provocative.

How is us commenting or criticizing the University's current state any different from us doing the same for the Men's basketball team or any sport in general? Plenty of us have complained about the budgeting etc., and the way the money is spent. A lot of us also want a football stadium and feel that should be pushed to the forefront and made a priority. I guess it's ok for the CFO or person who is in charge of the budget to say "Hey buddy, how about you come to my office and do my job etc.", without any response being warranted? I hope you can see the difference. Using your logic, we would be wrong to question them as well.

Nope.

We will have to agree to disagree to an extent on the last point-- simply because you are right in a sense (it was a Bruin fan yelling at a Ranger player). However, when I pay 90 bucks per seat...per game (yep...that is how much it costs to go to a hockey game on the lower level in Boston)...I expect my $$$-- if I am a Bruins fan-- be spent much like we argue our $ should be spent for our school.

I don't see much of a difference because fan $$$ support all programs, college or pro.

As for the guys shooting the threes...I think we all know what Will meant by the cheap seats...and I think we all agree with him...and I think we all know WHO he meant.

Ironic, because generally that player gets the GREEN LIGHT.

Heres a question I was thinking about - figured it would be a good topic. Lillis is PLAYING OUT OF HIS MIND. Are we better off with him scoring a ton, or is that showing that we are that depleted offensively? I.e is it better we finally have a go-to guy or should our offense be more spread out ultimately? For example, he's been scoring in some cases, close to half of our point totals. Would you rather have a go to guy who is scoring at will and dropping 20-25ppg or 1 guy averaging 15 and another averaging 10? Lillis' shot selection and fg% is so good that it's hard to make an argument against him being the go-to-guy, but I figured it would be good convo.

Heres a question I was thinking about - figured it would be a good topic. Lillis is PLAYING OUT OF HIS MIND. Are we better off with him scoring a ton, or is that showing that we are that depleted offensively? I.e is it better we finally have a go-to guy or should our offense be more spread out ultimately? For example, he's been scoring in some cases, close to half of our point totals. Would you rather have a go to guy who is scoring at will and dropping 20-25ppg or 1 guy averaging 15 and another averaging 10? Lillis' shot selection and fg% is so good that it's hard to make an argument against him being the go-to-guy, but I figured it would be good convo.

Excellent question. I think it is a combo of a bit of depletion (having Timmy understand the game enough for him to be out there would help-- he is our most talented offensive player) plus BRIAN having that emotion to say "I WANT TO WIN." It is something the young guys need to learn.

We have to remember, Brian, John, and Brent were with the team when we were REALLY REALLY bad. They know what work was needed to get to this level. The young guys, they have not come into a situation when they had to claw their way out.

So, I think having Brian go bananas is actually good...because it is showing these guys what needs to be done. You see the difference already in guys like Jerel; He has attacked the rim with consistency and you can see it opening up the rest of the offense.

I think we would all rather two guys at 15 and 10...but until that person steps up...we have to go with what we have. I think, IMHO, JEREL can be that guy.

Well, King Dane likes to stir up controversy for no reason.

Not so, my friend.

You have said on more than one occasion, that criticism is why coaches hate message boards. Then I read Coach Brown's blog and noted that some of his observations mirrored the very posts you criticized in the past.

As far as the hockey player screaming behind the accountant -please, its an absolutely invalid analogy. When you sign a contract to play pro sports, the paycheck also covers any and all adulation and/or abuse that comes your way - from all quarters.

Being a fan offers few free privileges. Commenting on your team's performance, whatever form that comment takes, is fair game.

I agree. I am happy that someone has stepped up and is able to take the last shot. Brian showed that in the Vermont game countless times. I think Jerel reminds me a lot of Siggers. I'm happy we have him for another year and can watch him further develop. I see no reason why he can't be a 15 ppg person next year if he can stay aggressive. I'm hoping though that Brent can step it up. We need production from him since he isn't a low-down presence and doesn't rebound very well. If he's not shooting the 3 well, they can throw a guard on us, and it makes our big lineup, less efficient. If he's on, we're that much better.

Well, King Dane likes to stir up controversy for no reason.

Not so, my friend.

You have said on more than one occasion, that criticism is why coaches hate message boards. Then I read Coach Brown's blog and noted that some of his observations mirrored the very posts you criticized in the past.

As far as the hockey player screaming behind the accountant -please, its an absolutely invalid analogy. When you sign a contract to play pro sports, the paycheck alsocovers any and all adulation and/or abuse that comes your way - from all quarters

Being a fan offers few free privileges. Commenting on your team's performance, whatever form that comment takes, is fair game.

Coach Brown has stated...to the public...that he dislikes the boards for EXACTLY what you are preaching...and because the kids get attacked unfairly. The criticism he spoke to (and I agree with) is SPECIFIC attacks...not otherwise.

As for my analogy, I am baffled by your response: You are actually PROMOTING my premise that players are unduly attacked sometimes, and unfairly at that, on message boards. The kids AREN'T SIGNING PRO CONTRACTS. If a PRO thought it was wrong...why should a college kid be subjected to that. The answer given, usually, is that they are being paid, via scholarship, to play. This discussion is not limited to this board...it occurs on MANY BOARDS...and DISCUSSED ON MANY BOARDS...and DISCUSSED IN THE MEDIA!

We don't have moderators like they do on call in radio shows where the Average Joe, with the right to his opinion, is put in place by the talk show host if he comes up with some ridonkulous attack-- Note...I am not saying JDrastik's attacks were....HE AND I ARE WAY PAST THAT.

I agree. I am happy that someone has stepped up and is able to take the last shot. Brian showed that in the Vermont game countless times. I think Jerel reminds me a lot of Siggers. I'm happy we have him for another year and can watch him further develop. I see no reason why he can't be a 15 ppg person next year if he can stay aggressive. I'm hoping though that Brent can step it up. We need production from him since he isn't a low-down presence and doesn't rebound very well. If he's not shooting the 3 well, they can throw a guard on us, and it makes our big lineup, less efficient. If he's on, we're that much better.

I too am very happy at Jerel's emergence. I was talking with Dane Pound at the Siena game and I pretty much stated that I was disappointed with what I saw out of him because we were told to expect so much more. I repeated the same thing to a poster of another school after watching him play again. The poster reminded me how long it takes a JUCO.

He explained that the JUCO coaches job is to get a kid to DI. A JUCO player plays to get to DI...and most JUCO's dont play great defense because of the two. Now we always knew Jerel could defend...but based on his scoring...I expected more. I think the other poster was 100% spot on. It seems like Jerel has adjusted to the other teams defenses...and is picking his spots. He is more aggressive and more confident. I, for one, forgot how long it took Jason to adjust...pretty much about 5 games before the end of his first conference season.

I really think Brent is struggling because of the injuries. It was great to see him attack underneath the first few trips down on BU's D. I think he took Will's words to heart.

I wonder how bad Brent's injuries are. I wonder if they are limiting him because of pain or because he hasn't had the opportunity to get into a rhythm. If it weren't for his senior year or warrior mentality, I would consider sitting him for a week or so to get him healthier, but I'm guessing that would never fly with him, and he's earned the right to play through injuries.

If Jerel continues to play well, does he move back to the bench (arguably the first guy in) - perhaps as the 6th man? Or does Martin assume that role? If Jerel continues to play well, I would hope that he stays in the starting 5, and Martin comes in and provides some energy and also plays a little less to help him recover from the injury.

If Jerel continues to play well, does he move back to the bench (arguably the first guy in) - perhaps as the 6th man? Or does Martin assume that role? If Jerel continues to play well, I would hope that he stays in the starting 5, and Martin comes in and provides some energy and also plays a little less to help him recover from the injury.

Martin is mentioned in this weeks game notes. Not sure if that means he can play this week or not. I was wondering about what will happen when Martin comes back also. I think you leave the starters the way they are unless things change. Martin will be a big help either way.

The early quiet reports on Martin's injury were bad. It truly is a testament to both he and the training/medical staff if he is ready to play this soon. Believe me...that injury is painful and not fun at all.

I would suspect that when Martin comes back, he will sit down and talk with Jerel and Martin after tinkering with the lineup a bit...once he decides on who starts.

I would think against teams like UMBC, Bing, and Hartford...Martin might start simply because he we need a ball handler out there. It is a default thing...not a whose better thing.

As for the question of Brian carrying the load or spreading the offense around.

I think it's better to spread it around but when everyone on the team except for Lillis is struggling we are lucky he is ABLE to carry the load.

Brent and Jon have struggled with injuries and health

Jerel is still trying to fit in but getting better

Timmy is trying to adjust

Brian C. is still working on his consistency

Josh was improving at the PG but was shooting poorly

The three bigs are still a work in progress

Hopefully if everything comes together our offense will be more diversified.

Archived