UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

The Budget Shaft

GreatDanes06

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would advise calling. I find that gets people's attention much more than emails. I called Ron Canestrari a minute ago. I'll Bruno's office tomorrow.

Ron Canestrari (518) 455-4474

Joe Bruno (518) 455-3191

Key points from my view:

• Albany is receiving 1/2 the athletic funding of UB and SBU
  • UB has a 30k + Stadium and SBU has a new stadium. Albany has a 40 year old HS field
  • The Governor ignored the SUNY BOT to provide disproportionate funding to SBU and UB
  • Being passed over is reflective of UA not being a peer "flagship"

It has been confirmed in private email communication with UAlbany admins that we got the shaft.

IMO, moving forward under such an assumption is well-warranted at this point.

Who exactly gave you the information that stated 'we got the shaft' ?

Who's going to make a list of budget proposal amounts for each University center?

and an itemization for each university center?

If there is such a discrepancy between ( UofB and UofSB ) and the University of Albany, it will help having an itemization for all three Universities in hand..... when discussing things with the appropriate State government representatives.

14mm, I believe, is for lights and the stands for lax and field hockey. From what I have been told, they were waiting for this to put out the public bid to build the lax/field hockey stands.

Question is...does baseball get stands?

ATL_DANE and Danefan are on the money.

if that is the case I will be a little happier. JFF and Alumni Turf Field deserve to be finished. At the same time, both softball and baseball also deserve to have finished and fan friendly facilities.

14mm, I believe, is for lights and the stands for lax and field hockey. From what I have been told, they were waiting for this to put out the public bid to build the lax/field hockey stands.

Question is...does baseball get stands?

ATL_DANE and Danefan are on the money.

if that is the case I will be a little happier. JFF and Alumni Turf Field deserve to be finished. At the same time, both softball and baseball also deserve to have finished and fan friendly facilities.

Let's get this straight...I was told this a year ago...not recently. So I would assume that is what "lighting and finishing" means.

Send a letter or email to Sen. Huge Farley --he is a UAlbany Alumnus...It is time for him to put help pony up. If he is such a loyal alum he will get his buddy Uncle Joe to help.

Contact Information

farley@senate.state.ny.us

Hugh T. Farley

Chairman of Majority Program Development

44th Senate District

Capitol Office

Room 412 Legislative Office Building

Albany, NY 12247

(518) 455-2181, toll-free (800) 224-5201, fax (518) 455-2271

Amsterdam District Office

2430 Riverfront Center

Amsterdam, NY 12010

(518) 843-2188, fax (518) 843-8363

Johnstown District Office

City Hall, 33-41 East Main Street

Johnstown, NY 12095

(518) 762-3733, fax (518) 762-3721

Anything on Fox or WNYT?

I didn't watch either station so I can't speak to those broadcasts.

I think WTEN wanted to be first so they went with the obvious story that UB and SBU was getting disproportionate funding over UA. They were general about the funding and didn't even mention the stadium specifically. I would hope for a more in depth piece after WTEN is able to interpret all the funding in that complex budget document. Of course, they would want to fact check their story first and make sure what they are saying is accurate so they probably didn't want to be too specific too soon. They obviously saw enough to feel UAlbany is getting $tiffed, to quote them.

As for the details of the WTEN broadcast, there was a guest (expert or something) on the show saying something to the affect that we'd have to see what comes of all the deliberations through April 1. A very vague and noncommittal response, if you ask me. I did like the fact that the news anchor said something to the affect of "some centers are treated more fairly than others" in response to the guest asserting that the university centers were being treated "fairly".

Here's my 2 cents. To be honest, I don't think we're getting a stadium. I don't think Spitzer sees UAlbany as an equal flagship like UB and SBU. I don't think UA is getting a fair shake... But I do think those of us who wrote an email or called a politician can feel good about themselves. All you can do is try, right?

If my reading of the proposed budget is correct....the Governor is proposing to fund ....pages 454,455,456,457

- 5 mil for CESTM Power substation

- 75 mil for ASML High Tech Center

- 75 mil for NanoTech Research Facility

- 25 mil for East Campus Cancer Research Building

---------------------------------------------------

180=mil for construction of new research facilities

Not to mention 25 mil for campus revitalization and 14 mil for completion of various athletic projects.

Thats a very large capital investment. Am I reading all of this wrong? I don't have any experience in reading these kinds of docs, so I could be WAY off here.

Granted, the one HUGE omission is the funds for the construction of a football stadium but it appears that they are still throwing a ton of money at UA. Comparable to SB and BU....NO?

SB is getting 11 mil for athletics.....(8 mil for "basketball arena" and 3 mil for "football stadium") and BU is getting 4 mil for "athletic stadium". Bingo is getting 5 mil for "athletic fields"

Strictly money being given to athletics is.....

- UA 14 mil

- Buffalo 4 mil

- SB 11 mil

- Bingo 5 mil

Can someone double check my numbers and tell me if I've gone mad?

New10 comes through again! At least getting it out there. What are we to make of this? SB and BU are out there promoting themselves as the two flagships....the deafening silence coming from University at Albany speaks volumes. It appears the "INTERIM" leadership has no idea where UA stands in the long term strategic plan. The longer this continues the worse off we will be.

SB and BU are out there promoting themselves as the two flagships....the deafening silence coming from University at Albany speaks volumes. It appears the "INTERIM" leadership has no idea where UA stands in the long term strategic plan. The longer this continues the worse off we will be.

What do you expect him to stay publically at this point?? Obviously he's reading and hearing at least the same information we are. None of us really have any idea what Phillip, McElroy, and the rest of the staff may be doing behind the scenes. It serves no purpose for an official like him to go out in public and complain to no one in particular only 24 hours after the Governor's budget proposal's released.

Most work is done behind closed doors. That's a reality.

New10 comes through again! At least getting it out there. What are we to make of this? SB and BU are out there promoting themselves as the two flagships....the deafening silence coming from University at Albany speaks volumes. It appears the "INTERIM" leadership has no idea where UA stands in the long term strategic plan. The longer this continues the worse off we will be.

I love WTEN!

Archived