UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

The Budget Shaft

GreatDanes06

Good call GDG.

I just got off the phone for nearly 10 minutes with Farley's office. They are not happy... Additionally, I have spoken with Bruno, Silver, and Canestrari's office.

People remember, it is not just athletics but also our business school that got the shaft. THIS WAS AN IMPORTANT PRIORITY!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW here's a possible opening for additional funding. I couldn't get the text to cut & paste, but on

p443 lines 13-33 there's $1.6 billion for "strategic initiatives" subject to development of prioritiies by SUNY and final review by something called University Capital Projects Review Board (?).

I'm sure the powers-that-be (Spitzer,Bruno,Silver, Chancellor Clark ,etc) know this is in there and it may give all of them some negotiating room for specific projects & constituencies.

Note that $1.6B is apparently for SUNY & CUNY.

Jeez this stuff is obtuse :wacko:

FWIW here's a possible opening for additional funding. I couldn't get the text to cut & paste, but on

p443 lines 13-33 there's $1.6 billion for "strategic initiatives" subject to development of prioritiies by SUNY and final review by something called University Capital Projects Review Board (?).

I'm sure the powers-that-be (Spitzer,Bruno,Silver, Chancellor Clark ,etc) know this is in there and it may give all of them some negotiating room for specific projects & constituencies.

Therefore, these funds haven't been claimed as of now? Or even hinted at being used for specific projects?

Therefore, these funds haven't been claimed as of now? Or even hinted at being used for specific projects?

That seems to be the case. So all the units of SUNY & CUNY will develop their lists (I'll bet they already have them) and make their case. Apparently, for SUNY, someone (Board of Trustees, Chancellor, or ??) make the first cut. Then University Capital Projects Review Board looks at all of SUNY & CUNY and makes the final cut. By then FY 08-09 is just about over, so the funds appear in FY09-10 as Re-appropriation. How's that for convoluted :o

After my long conversation with Assemblyman Canestrari, 72/74's post is on the money. There is still hope...but we still need to fight. There is the seperate 07-08 budget...what we saw is the 5-Year plan...something separate.

However, it should be noted that SPECIFIC ATHLETIC FACILITIES WERE NOTED IN THE 5 YEAR PLAN....and we got the shaft on both athletics and the business school. Why? That is why we must still fight.

Additionally, this 5 year plan still shows us as a NON-Flagship.

That seems to be the case. So all the units of SUNY & CUNY will develop their lists (I'll bet they already have them) and make their case. Apparently, for SUNY, someone (Board of Trustees, Chancellor, or ??) make the first cut. Then University Capital Projects Review Board looks at all of SUNY & CUNY and makes the final cut. By then FY 08-09 is just about over, so the funds appear in FY09-10 as Re-appropriation. How's that for convoluted :o

Welcome to state politics.

Welcome to state politics.

What state flips the bird to the preeminent institution of higher learning based in their state capitol? As I've been saying, there is a serious hatred of Albany (as a city) both downstate and in Western New York and this is their way of getting back for the "abuse" that "we"* have subjected them to.

* We meaning the people of Albany i/l/o politicians who wouldn't give a rat's behind if they weren't one.

FLAGSHIPS IN OR NEAR STATE CAPTIALS:

Arizona State

Colorado University

UCONN

Florida

Hawa'ii

Boise State

LSU

Michigan State

U Minnesota

North Carolina

North Carolina State

Ohio State

URI

University of South Carolina

University of Texas

University of Utah

University of Wisconsin

University of Wyoming

Eighteen states. And arguably, there are more with in striking distance (example would be UMASS).

It's a bit of heresay, but is coming from someone who isn't the gossiper/sneak info type. Well-placed University employees told him that the Governor's budget includes money for both our Campus Center and Business Building. I obviously have no numbers to show (perhaps it's part of $1+ billion in campital money?), but I said to him that it sucks that the budget didn't include stadium money..his response was 'at least we got the CC and business building..I was like 'WHAT??'..haha.

It'll be interesting to see it all play out.

All right, I have been silent for a while.

Where do you want me?

Making phone calls, writing letters, or holding a sign outside the Capitol?

As I have always carried much disdain for the political realm I may need to be coached in diplomacy, and force-fed some facts, but I am willing to volunteer some time.

All right, I have been silent for a while.

Where do you want me?

Making phone calls, writing letters, or holding a sign outside the Capitol?

As I have always carried much disdain for the political realm I may need to be coached in diplomacy, and force-fed some facts, but I am willing to volunteer some time.

Where have you been hag? We've all been working double overtime here...calling...writing etc. Start with some e-mails....read up on the people to contact.

The news is begining to spread. Here is the second story.

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story...sdate=1/24/2008

I wrote the following letter today. Please feel free to copy, add, modify etc. I have also emailed the ASP to let their editors know. The students don't follow the budget but this is their school. It affects their degree's value if it's not a flagship anymore.

----------------------------------

Dear XXXX,

I see that the story is beginning to spread as news seeps out into the Capitol District community. I hope you see this as the beginning of a story, not the end. The UAlbany community is very concerned at what we see.

UAlbany has not had a permanent president in over a year. This is hurting us in our efforts to defend the university. First we saw the SUNY Commission call for a two flagship policy. UAlbany was not mentioned. Second, we heard the governor in the State of the State call for a two flagship policy. UAlbany was not mentioned. The governor has made vague references to the affect that there could be room for "others" but he never specifically said UAlbany is a "flagship". Lastly, in reviewing the budget we see UAlbany is being under funded relative to the flagships of UB and SBU. I think the stadium is a perfect comparison. There are only 3 NCAA Division 1 football teams in SUNY. Compare the facilities of the 3 and guess which ones are "flagships".

1) Buffalo (Renovated 1999)

Capacity 31,000

Picture: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...l%3Den%26sa%3DN

2) Stony Brook(Built 2002)

Capacity 8,5000

Picture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_P._LaValle_Stadium

3) Albany (Built 1960's)

High School Quality Field - No Stadium, despite the request.

The lack of funding of UAlbany athletics is not because of a bad economy either. Other campuses are receiving funding. In fact, non-flagship campuses are receiving a lot of athletic funding. Please see below from the governor's budget.

SUNY Utica-Rome - $20,000,000 for a fieldhouse.

SUNY Brockport - $24,000,000 for Special Events and Recreation center

SUNY Canton - $18,000,000 for Athletics and Recreation center

Tompkins Cortland Community College Athletics Complex - $10,000,000

UAlbany is getting very little funding when you remove research and you compare across the "flagships". We support nano but as you may know, nano has very little impact on the majority of the university community. Most undergraduates are not working on nano technology. The majority of student's impacted are a small number of PhD candidates. Look at these funding comparisons when hospitals and nano are removed. Estimated of course...

Funding minus hospital or nano... what an undergraduate might see.

SBU - $392,730,000

UB - $331,151,000

UAlbany - $272,923,000

Bing - $234,577,000

We have only begun a letter writing campaign. We are very concerned for obvious reasons. Consider these examples of flagships versus non-flagships. Have you ever heard of the non-flagship? Do you think the campus is as nice? Do they have the same economic impact? We are talking about prestige. We are talking about jobs. Major impacts here.

1) U of Michigan vs. Central Michigan

2) U of Georgia vs. Kennesaw

3) Ohio State vs. Kent State

4) U of California vs. Cal State Northridge

5) UConn vs. Central Connecticut State

Archived