UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UA/UMBC

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brent has struggled recently, but lets NOT throw this kid under the bus. He has done some great things for this program.

I agree. Let's not forget, UMBC is SECOND in the nation for fewest turnovers per game, and Greene is 4th in the nation in assists. Moreover, 4 UMBC starters average double digits. They can simply score. While I think many of their shots are reckless, this UMBC team is very solid. I think the Fox 980 announcer mentioned that Ray "arrgghhh, I'm a pirate" Barbosa had 32 points against Ohio State earlier this year.

Bottom line is UMBC is a solid team, and we played well over the past 10 minutes to arrive at a 4-point loss on the road against arguably the best team in the conference. We had a tough time with UMBC last year too at their place, when, I believe, we only won by about 5 points or so. Below are UMBC's recent results. Interesting to see smaller teams with solid backcourts give them more of a run "for their money" -- i.e., Bingo, Hartford, and Maine. While we lost by 4 points tonight, look how Vermont lost to UMBC at UMBC by 18 points.

12-29 at Ohio St. 15-6 (6-2) 19 83-92 L

01-03 at Stony Brook 4-15 (1-6) 332 76-62 W

01-06 at New Hampshire 5-13 (3-4) 298 86-73 W

01-09 Vermont 10-9 (5-2) 197 78-60 W

01-12 Maine 5-14 (2-5) 317 74-77 L

01-16 Hartford 10-12 (4-3) 228 86-85 W

01-19 at Binghamton 10-10 (6-2) 226 59-62 L

01-22 at Boston U. 5-14 (2-5) 299 62-40 W

01-30 Albany 9-11 (4-4) 214 69-65 W

This is gonna sound terrible, but I wish I didn't care if we won or lost. This has been a tough season! When this season is over I'm gonna have to decompress for like 2 month's before I come back. :wacko:

I hear ya. I think I've given myself an ulcer watching this team this year. I still think we can turn it around. We just need to play forty good minutes over the span of one game; instead of 2 or 3.

I think Coach Brown made a pre-game comment (or maybe it was in the Times Union Blog, I forget) about how the Conference winnner may finish 11-5. While I think UMBC will go 12-4 to win the conference title, I would be thrilled with a 10-6 finish for UAlbany. That would mean that we have to go 6-2 over the span of our final 8 games. Luckily, I suppose, our toughest games that remain are at Bingo, at UVM, and UMBC (home).

If we get our act together and play consistent and with the sense of "urgency" that coach talks about, a 10-6 finish is very feasible for us. It would be nice to shoot for one of the top 3 seeds (probably #2 or #3), and here's why:

If we are the #3 seed, we control our own destiny with regard to hosting the AE Conference Tournament Championship game to the extent that the #1 seed (let's assume UMBC) falls. Because I agree with Coach Brown that it is likely the #1 seed won't necessarily be the host for the AE Title game, a #3 seed allows us to win the first two games in the tournament (beating the #6 seed and, then, probably the #2 seed), and host the AE Title game (again, assuming the #1 seed gets upset in one of the first two rounds in the Tourney). Oh well ... I suppose it's all just speculation at this point. Let's just beat Stonybrook this Saturday.

This is gonna sound terrible, but I wish I didn't care if we won or lost. This has been a tough season! When this season is over I'm gonna have to decompress for like 2 month's before I come back. :wacko:

I hear ya. I think I've given myself an ulcer watching this team this year. I still think we can turn it around. We just need to play forty good minutes over the span of one game; instead of 2 or 3.

Ask me tomorrow, I'll be wearing my purple glasses. I remember playing Monopoly when I was like 9 or 10 and crying when I didn't win against my older siblings and mom. I freaking hate to lose and when we lose, I say some stupid things. Thats why I said, just throw what ever I say right out the window. Probably just me crying the sky if falling.

“This is a very interesting team, the most difficult team I’ve ever had to coach,” Brown said. “My 5-23 teams were easier to coach than this team. That’s not a knock on this team. It’s just that you don’t get that sense of urgency, like this is the most important thing going on. Tomorrow night, for the last two years, it’s the most important thing going on in those teams’ lives. Right now, you’ve got girlfriends, you’ve got other things that I don’t feel are important. Outside family and academics, (basketball) is the most important thing that should be going on in their lives. Right now, we have some happy, go-lucky guys that are happy to be a part of it. When you’re happy to be a part of something and you don’t realize it’s a prvilege, you end up mediocre. The program has come too far for anybody to settle for mediocrity.” - Coach Brown

This has been a STRANGE season so far!

I wonder how many "Carl Rosses" there will be on this year's team after the season ends?

Archived