UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Stadium Funding and UAlbany Flagship

uofalbany

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not really stadium related...but does anyone know why people are no longer allowed to park near the baseball field? Is it because of the Purple Path and John Fallon Field? Does the purple path construction close off the entrance to the field now?

Yes, the Purple Path construction starts at the baseball driveway. There are more piles of sand, gravel and rock north of Fallon Field as they're adding burying conduit for what looks like power lines, or maybe water lines for permanent toilets?

Even more digging has been going on for the lacrosse grandstand.

holy crap....it took the story all the way to the ASP for someone to point this out:

UAlbany is the only one of the SUNY research institutions to not recieve major funding for athletic facilities.

Stony Brook opened a $22 million stadium in 2002 that is used primarily for football and lacrosse.

The University at Buffalo opened a $23 million stadium in 1993 that is used for football, soccer, and track and field.

Binghamton University opened a $33.1 million events center in 2004. The events center is used primarily for basketball.

I wonder why the TU didn't print that.

Best article I have seen yet. And from the ASP?!?! Kudos to the ASP. Usually not as supportive on this stuff.

I love this:

"A phone call to UAlbany Interim President George Philip was not returned."

Are you kidding me? No one is that busy...and certainly not an Interim President. Sir-- THESE ARE YOUR STUDENTS CALLING...YOU HAVE A RESPONSIBILITY TO TALK TO THE OLDEST INDEPENDENTLY RUN STUDENT NEWSPAPER.

I am so sick of this guy and his lack of motivation.

Teed up folks-- pan me and tell me what a great job he has done...and his hands are tied. Got one word for that: BULL$iena! You don't want to talk to Alumni, fine. You don't want to talk to the public. Fine. But the STUDENTS?

Jesus...I hope this guy's salary is small.

Best article I have seen yet. And from the ASP?!?! Kudos to the ASP. Usually not as supportive on this stuff.

I love this:

"A phone call to UAlbany Interim President George Philip was not returned."

Are you kidding me? No one is that busy...and certainly not an Interim President. Sir-- THESE ARE YOUR STUDENTS CALLING...YOU HAVE A RESPONSIBILITY TO TALK TO THE OLDEST INDEPENDENTLY RUN STUDENT NEWSPAPER.

I am so sick of this guy and his lack of motivation.

Teed up folks-- pan me and tell me what a great job he has done...and his hands are tied. Got one word for that: BULL$iena! You don't want to talk to Alumni, fine. You don't want to talk to the public. Fine. But the STUDENTS?

Jesus...I hope this guy's salary is small.

He's probably out playing golf, soaking up the salary as much as he can until he gets cut off.

He's probably out playing golf, soaking up the salary as much as he can until he gets cut off.

Which at the current pace should be around Fall 2012

Or perhaps never.

I am totally not intending to wish death on anyone, but would SUNY take so long to find a new president if John Simpson or Shirley Kenney was to tragically die suddenly? Or would they expedite the process of finding a replacement?

holy crap....it took the story all the way to the ASP for someone to point this out:

UAlbany is the only one of the SUNY research institutions to not recieve major funding for athletic facilities.

Stony Brook opened a $22 million stadium in 2002 that is used primarily for football and lacrosse.

The University at Buffalo opened a $23 million stadium in 1993 that is used for football, soccer, and track and field.

Binghamton University opened a $33.1 million events center in 2004. The events center is used primarily for basketball.

Did we get money for SEFCU Arena? According to the wikipedia page, SEFCU Arena (then, the "RACC") opened in 1992. Perhaps we've received no substantial athletic facility funding since then?

I would point out that it is my understanding that Buffalo also got money w/in the past decade or less for expansion of that original $23 million football stadium. Since that Buffalo funding goes back to 1993, is the allegation that UAlbany has received no substantial funding (along the lines of the foregoing examples) for athletic facilities going back to at least 1993??

Did anyone else catch the survey/poll on the right side of the page for that article? Omg, here are the results:

http://www.albanystudentpress.org/poll/ind...playPollResults

In response to this question --- Is drug use part of your study ritual? --- those who took the poll indicated:

No way-- I'm straight edge, dude. 18%

Don't need drugs. I'm high-on-life. 13%

Just caffeine. 27%

Yes, Adderall and Ritalin enhance my concentration. 6%

Yes, cocaine gives me a clear head. 11%*

I drink alcohol to forget that I'm going to fail anyway. 9%

What study ritual? 10%

All of the above--then some. 5%

* WTF?!

Did we get money for SEFCU Arena? According to the wikipedia page, SEFCU Arena (then, the "RACC") opened in 1992. Perhaps we've received no substantial athletic facility funding since then?

I would point out that it is my understanding that Buffalo also got money w/in the past decade or less for expansion of that original $23 million football stadium. Since that Buffalo funding goes back to 1993, is the allegation that UAlbany has received no substantial funding (along the lines of the foregoing examples) for athletic facilities going back to at least 1993??

We apparently got some money for the lacrosse and field hockey fields right? John Fallon gave $250,000 to that project but one field turf field costs upwards of $1 million so the money came from somewhere.

Other then that we have not received any SUBSTANTIAL money for athletic facilities since SEFCU. The football practice fields were redone by the Giants. The football locker room was privately funded by the UAlbany Foundation (only $250,000 or so anyway).

Even the purple and gold paint and flag poles that were installed at University Field in 2002 were donated by Sands family.

Other then that ...... nada.

So yes, I would say that we have NOT received any substantial funding for athletic facilities since the Cue was built.

Did anyone else catch the survey/poll on the right side of the page for that article? Omg, here are the results:

http://www.albanystudentpress.org/poll/ind...playPollResults

In response to this question --- Is drug use part of your study ritual? --- those who took the poll indicated:

No way-- I'm straight edge, dude. 18%

Don't need drugs. I'm high-on-life. 13%

Just caffeine. 27%

Yes, Adderall and Ritalin enhance my concentration. 6%

Yes, cocaine gives me a clear head. 11%*

I drink alcohol to forget that I'm going to fail anyway. 9%

What study ritual? 10%

All of the above--then some. 5%

* WTF?!

only 11%? weak. ;)

Archived