UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Flagship Update

ATL_DANE

Not particularly critical to the current thread topic, but relevant nonetheless. I rec'd this email from the UB Alumni Association yesterday:

Ever since UB 2020 was launched four years ago, and with the addition of UB Believers last summer, steady progress has been made toward fulfilling the goals of the university’s strategic growth plan.

We have engaged many constituencies, particularly alumni, to enhance their understanding of how they can strengthen UB and contribute to the economic revitalization of the region and the state. We are fortunate to have broad support of alumni and friends, the community, regional business leaders, legislators and a broad array of other officials in Albany.

Recent changes in the executive leadership of New York State neither deter our vision nor our plans. In his prior visits to UB, and throughout his career in the New York State Senate, Governor Paterson has shown a great interest in UB, in SUNY and in issues of public higher education. We look forward to working with his administration to promote UB 2020 and our collective aspirations for UB, and we thank you for your continued support.

The feeling I got from UAlbany Day is that the "flagship" proposal is dead or dying. People feel comfortable speaking out against it. UB isn't going to win that one... just my opinion. I don't have any animosity to UB or their UB2020 plan as long as they don't try to screw UA in the process. They may continue to get disproportionate funding but they lost their biggest cheerleader (Spitzer). UA needs to learn from this close call and put together a strategic plan for themselves. UA2020? Growth, Growth Growth. That's what we need.

You hit the nail squarely on the head with the last part of your post. UA must get a permanent president in here.....we also MUST put together a long term plan that will serve the University and the Community well. For that to happen we cannot continue to language without permanent leadership.

Is there ANY progress being made to correct this glaring issue?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be surprised to see a new President before a new Chancellor is named. Why would a qualified candidate (the last thing we'd want to do is 'settle') agree to head up a University, especially one in an 'interesting' time like we're in now (for lack of a better term..flagship, capital projects, etc) when they have no idea who their boss is going to be??

And SUNY won't be quick to 'settle' either..and it might take more time to find that person because of the recent shake up in the Executive Chamber. Again, who would want to take a job when they don't yet know exactly how their boss (Paterson) will view their sector (higher ed/SUNY)?

These positions don't operate in a vacuum indepedent of each other..they all have major impacts and influences. Is it going to take longer than usual to find these replacements?...sure...because that's what the environment around UAlbany/SUNY/NYS is dictating right now.

I'll be surprised to see a new President before a new Chancellor is named. Why would a qualified candidate (the last thing we'd want to do is 'settle') agree to head up a University, especially one in an 'interesting' time like we're in now (for lack of a better term..flagship, capital projects, etc) when they have no idea who their boss is going to be??

And SUNY won't be quick to 'settle' either..and it might take more time to find that person because of the recent shake up in the Executive Chamber. Again, who would want to take a job when they don't yet know exactly how their boss (Paterson) will view their sector (higher ed/SUNY)?

These positions don't operate in a vacuum indepedent of each other..they all have major impacts and influences. Is it going to take longer than usual to find these replacements?...sure...because that's what the environment around UAlbany/SUNY/NYS is dictating right now.

I'm not so sure the Chancellor plays that big a role in the selection of a campus president.

The College Council makes a recommendation to the Chancellor for approval of the candidate.

The laborious process is described in detail

http://www.albany.edu/presidentialsearch/guidelines.shtml

I'm not so sure the Chancellor plays that big a role in the selection of a campus president.

The College Council makes a recommendation to the Chancellor for approval of the candidate.

But if you were a candidate for a university presidency wouldn't you want to know who your boss would be before you accept any position?

The one thing I don't understand is why it takes so long. Put the word out, get some applicants, recruit the person you really want and move along.

In addition to danefan's comments, I can tell you the he/she does, both directly and indirectly. While the number can sometimes be different, the recommending body (this time the search committee/council) will usually offer 3 candidates to the Chancellor..the Chancellor will pick one of those (usually the recommending body's top choice..but isn't required to be) to submit to the SUNY BOT for official approval/hire.

Just caught up on all the posts on here. I've been out of the country since early february, and just got back.

GREAT to hear Spitzer trashed his career!

GREAT to hear that the University had UAlbany day. Question: was Interim President Philips responsible for setting that up? ............... If so, that showed fine leadership, when leadership was/is needed.

Thanks to those of you who ATTENDED. That's REAL committment to our University. Thanks brothers.

To those of you who attended, did you get a chance to chat with Philips, or at least hear him speak and relay his thoughts and views? .......... I'm curious on what kind of leader he is, and/or can be, in the future.

A few other questions:

John Fallon Field seating-What sides will ultimately have seating (besides the bubble side)

Anything happen with the environmental impact study... and its effects on a stadium?

I hate the idea of a stadium off campus by the way. This is the University's baby, let's getter done!

Just caught up on all the posts on here. I've been out of the country since early february, and just got back.

GREAT to hear that the University had UAlbany day. Question: was Interim President Philips responsible for setting that up? ............... If so, that showed fine leadership, when leadership was/is needed.

Thanks to those of you who ATTENDED. That's REAL committment to our University. Thanks brothers.

To those of you who attended, did you get a chance to chat with Philips, or at least hear him speak and relay his thoughts and views? .......... I'm curious on what kind of leader he is, and/or can be, in the future.

A few other questions:

John Fallon Field seating-What sides will ultimately have seating (besides the bubble side)

Anything happen with the environmental impact study... and its effects on a stadium?

I hate the idea of a stadium off campus by the way. This is the University's baby, let's getter done!

Welcome back "uofalbany"!

I attended UAlbany Day and it surpassed my expectations. A job well done. My one criticism is that we need more alumni at these events. We have tens of thousands of alumni in the Capitol District and I'd bet there wasn't 100 at the event. I can't speak to your questions so I'll let others address those.

On a related "flagship" topic, I think the official designation of "flagship" is dead for now but if UA doesn't start growing and adding professional schools, this issue will come back later and we may not beat it again. I was doing some comparisons between UA and the other university centers, as well as of big flagships like Texas and Florida. UA is really missing some important schools. I hate to say it but Buffalo and Stony Brook snapped up the big professional schools. If we're going to be able to compete with those universities, we better really grow, and grow fast! Law, engineering, medicine, nursing, dental, veterinary and pharmacy are just a few schools that already exist elsewhere within SUNY. I never realized how many of these professional schools exist at UB and SBU. I have been speaking with a UA VP and I brought up our need to add professional schools. I also mentioned the stadium ^_^

Of that list of professional schools I mentioned above, I only foresee three that make sense for UA. I also don't foresee adding these schools as being easy. The only scenario I can think of is adding engineering as an off shoot of the nano college. We should also add undergraduate engineering students, I think that would help the SAT scores of our incoming class. The issue there is the other 3 university centers already have engineering colleges. Law and Pharmacy would only be added through an acquisition of the independent schools in Albany.

What do you guys think? Any chance we can add some professional schools in the near future? If we want to be admitted into AAU (and join UB and SBU), I think we need more professional schools.

A few other questions:

Welcome back "uofalbany"!

I attended UAlbany Day and it surpassed my expectations. A job well done. My one criticism is that we need more alumni at these events. We have tens of thousands of alumni in the Capitol District and I'd bet there wasn't 100 at the event. I can't speak to your questions so I'll let others address those.

On a related "flagship" topic, I think the official designation of "flagship" is dead for now but if UA doesn't start growing and adding professional schools, this issue will come back later and we may not beat it again. I was doing some comparisons between UA and the other university centers, as well as of big flagships like Texas and Florida. UA is really missing some important schools. I hate to say it but Buffalo and Stony Brook snapped up the big professional schools. If we're going to be able to compete with those universities, we better really grow, and grow fast! Law, engineering, medicine, nursing, dental, veterinary and pharmacy are just a few schools that already exist elsewhere within SUNY. I never realized how many of these professional schools exist at UB and SBU. I have been speaking with a UA VP and I brought up our need to add professional schools. I also mentioned the stadium ^_^

Of that list of professional schools I mentioned above, I only foresee three that make sense for UA. I also don't foresee adding these schools as being easy. The only scenario I can think of is adding engineering as an off shoot of the nano college. We should also add undergraduate engineering students, I think that would help the SAT scores of our incoming class. The issue there is the other 3 university centers already have engineering colleges. Law and Pharmacy would only be added through an acquisition of the independent schools in Albany.

What do you guys think? Any chance we can add some professional schools in the near future? If we want to be admitted into AAU (and join UB and SBU), I think we need more professional schools.

Great post ATL_DANE, couldn't agree more. I might actually donate some money to my alma mater Albany Law School one of these days if they associated themselves with UAlbany instead of the current, illusory relationship with "Union University."

Dear UAlbany Faculty, Staff, and Students:

On behalf of the University at Albany, thank you for your tremendous

contribution to UAlbany Day last week. As one legislator put it, he had

never seen a better event organized by a college or a university to

promote its strengths to the Legislature, and referred to our UAlbany

Day as "a model for the SUNY System."

Nearly 400 people attended in all, and the enthusiasm was contagious.

The attractive displays set up by our divisions, colleges and schools

brought home the strength and breadth of UAlbany's academic and research

assets. Such elements as the UAlbany Cheerleaders, Serendipity -

UAlbany's all-female a cappella group, a UAlbany Day video, great

refreshments, colorful costumes and a student raffle all added to the

fun and festivities. Seniors Nick Fahrenkopf and Liz Gray were superb

masters of ceremony.

Among those witnessing all of this style and substance were seven

members of the Capital Region Legislative Delegation - Senator Hugh

Farley, Senator Neil Breslin, Assembly Majority Leader Ronald

Canestrari, Assembly Minority Leader James Tedisco, our own assemblyman

(as he reminded everyone) Jack McEneny, Assemblyman Bob Reilly, and

Assemblyman Tim Gordon.

Each of them spoke, voicing their support for the University, as did

Senate Higher Education Chairman Kenneth LaValle and five UAlbany alumni

who now serve in the state Assembly. On hand as well were other

legislators from Senate and Assembly, state agency commissioners,

business leaders, and program and fiscal staff from the Legislature and

Governor's office. We also cannot forget SUNY Vice Chancellor John

O'Connor, and, of course, our good friend Albany Mayor and UAlbany

alumnus Gerald Jennings.

It was a great turnout and really brought home the message that UAlbany

is a premier institution within the State University of New York System

and the State of New York. Once again, it could not have gone nearly so

well without your dedication, skill, and effort. To relive UAlbany Day,

please visit our home page at

www.albany.edu

where you can link to additional information and photos of this

memorable event.

As we look to turning UAlbany Day into an annual tradition, we would

welcome your thoughts and suggestions on making this day of university

celebration even better next year. Please forward your comments to

Kathleen Spawn at kspawn@uamail.albany.edu.

Once again, thank you for your support and participation in this most

important day.

Sincerely,

George M. Philip

Interim President

This is perhaps only tangentially relevant, but I thought I'd share the info. Buffalo did snap up one of the big professional schools - Law - but it hit a (somewhat major) bump in the road with the new 2009 U.S. News rankings. Although I don't place a lot of stock in many of the rankings, many people - especially school administrators - do.

In any event, UB's law school dropped from 77th in the country to 100th - a pretty significant drop. This is especially since (IIRC) schools past 100 are not given numbered ranks, but are merely placed in "tiers" - one tier for every 50 schools. A school that would be "ranked" 149 is considered tier 3, the same as a school that would be ranked 101.

Some other web sites have been discussing the new rankings since they were leaked, and one UB student has this to say:

"For the return on investment -- a Biglaw job for $13k a year in tuition (for the top of the class) -- many students were OK with the shortcomings of this law school. [but] with T3 looking over our shoulder, some fellow students are contemplating jumping ship....

It's hard to justify leaving for debt-ridden T25 greener pastures when L. Rev. and a market-paying job in the City are likely. No one likes to be on the Titanic, though."

The Interim Dean responded to the new rankings with a school-wide e-mail:

UNIVERSITY OF BUFFALO LAW SCHOOL -- STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK -- EMAIL TO STUDENT BODY FROM INTERIM DEAN MAKAU MUTUA

Our Dear Students:

As you may be aware, U.S. News & World Report will issue its 2008 ranking of law schools tomorrow. Unfortunately, our ranking has dropped from 77 to 100. You are the future of this Law School, and I want to assure you that we will do everything in our power to rectify this situation as quickly as possible, and move this School forward beyond our previous position. My goal is to get this law school into the top 50. We are carrying out an aggressive internal planning process to raise funds, attract star faculty, recruit a stellar class, raise our LSAT, and produce good scholarship--all important factors in how we will rank next year. In addition, we are reaching out to our employer partners and prominent alumni, all of whom remain confident in the quality of our legal education. We know that this is unsettling news for each of you. Please know that the value of your education is of the utmost concern to this administration and faculty.

Makau Mutua, Interim Dean

SUNY Distinguished Professor and

Floyd H. and Hilda L. Hurst Faculty Scholar

Although I didn't go to UB, I'm a little torn on how to feel on this issue. I suppose UB Law dropping in the rankings supports an argument that either (1) it shouldn't be a flagship over UA or (2) that it shouldn't be a flagship (and no SUNY school should), but I don't like the idea of in-state students who want to go to an affordable yet (somewhat) prestigious law school losing that opportunity.

• 2 weeks later...

UA sent out the 07-08 Research Leaders Report to all legislators. Highlights the accomplishments of UAs research. One step forward in educated people on how UA could be a leader of the SUNY system, and showing we do have advancing research.

I. On Buffalo Law School's Ranking

I fail to understand why Buffalo Law School is ranked ahead of Albany Law School in the national rankings. While there are several variables that make up those rankings, the most important one is typically bar-pass rate. Albany Law School, with the exception of 2003, typically beats out Buffalo Law in bar-pass rate and is generally regarded as one of the better law schools in the state. Indeed, last year, I believe our bar pass rate was 88% (which is very good). Thoughts?

II. Developing UAlbany into a Flagship University -- at Least insofar as One Professional School is Concerned

And while the issue is at hand -- and I've said this before -- but it sure would be nice to see some sort of official relationship (if by naming association only) develop between UAlbany and Albany Law School (beyond recognition of certain coursework and classes or a joint MBA/JD program). How about instead of the degree on my wall at home saying: "Albany Law School of Union University". How do the following names sound?

"Albany Law School of UAlbany" or "Albany Law School of the University of New York at Albany" or "Albany Law School of SUNY Albany"? AND, Albany Law can still march around with its slogan that it loves to market: "The nation's oldest independent law school."

III. And WTF is Union University?

The conceptual and substantive-less relationship relationship between "Union University" and Albany Law School must come to an end. It's embarrassing. Why? Did anyone think to google "Union University"? I did: http://www.uu.edu/. It's a university in Tennessee! Ugh.

The concept of Union University came about, in part, through recognition by the NYS Board of Regents. That story can be found at: http://www.union.edu/Academics/UnionUniversity/

And here is a description, available at the above cited link, of this amorphous post-graduate "consortium":

Union College, Union Graduate College, Albany Medical College, Albany Law School, Albany College of Pharmacy, and the Dudley Observatory of the City of Albany are united and recognized by the New York State Board of Regents as ”Union University.” The purpose of Union University, created in 1873, is to promote learning and the development of the several component institutions in the interest of higher education while retaining and continuing the respective and distinctive organizations, rights, powers, and corporate existence. The President of Union College, Stephen C. Ainlay, serves as Chancellor of Union University.

Students at Union College enjoy joint academic honors programs with Union Graduate College, Albany Medical College, and Albany Law School.

Ok, that's my rant for the day.

I fail to understand why Buffalo Law School is ranked ahead of Albany Law School in the national rankings. While there are several variables that make up those rankings, the most important one is typically bar-pass rate. Albany Law School, with the exception of 2003, typically beats out Buffalo Law in bar-pass rate and is generally regarded as one of the better law schools in the state. Indeed, last year, I believe our bar pass rate was 88% (which is very good). Thoughts?

The peer review factor is the loan reason. Albany Law suffers tremendously from its endeavors in the 1990's to admit a ton of students in order to turn a profit. The theory didn't work very well and it really hurt the quality of the student body. Since Dean Guernsey has taken over he has reduced the incoming classes dramatically to under 250 students as compared to over 350 that was routinely accepted in the 90s.

He has continued to go out and actively "steal" away professors from better known schools (e.g. Paul Finkelman http://www.albanylaw.edu/sub.php?navigatio...&user_id=90). He has also increased the fund raising effort to offset the decreased tuition revenue associated with lowering class size. The law school now receives over $1 million yearly in fund raising. With that being said he has had to increase tuition as well, which is almost $40,000 a year now for incoming 1Ls.

Buffalo also has the distinction as being New York State's public law school. That ways on some minds when it comes to ranking law schools. Theoretically that should put them at an advantage, but it doesn't mainly because they are more the public law school of Ohio or Canada then they are of New York.

The same goes for Syracuse. Syracuse does not even have an updated law library. They continuosly get cited as having one of the worst law libraries in the country, yet they are still ranked above Albany law which has the largest and comprehensive law library in New York State. Syracuse rides on public perception and their huge endowment (which by the way is also a factor that holds Albany law down).

And if joined to UAlbany, Albany law would not be able to continue to say they are the oldest independent law school in the nation.

Dickenson Law School was actually the oldest law school in the nation until they became associated with Penn State. After that, they no longer use the slogan and Albany hopped on it. I would imagine the same would be true if Albany became associated with UAlbany.

Archived