UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UMBC Today

Here is the link to today's story in the Times Union:

[url=http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story...sdate=2/20/2008

And the link to an article in this morning's Daily Gazette has more info on the status of our individual players:

[url=http://www.dailygazette.com/news/2008/feb/20/220_danes/

Is there much talk on campus about the game tonight?

Has anyone found a link to any article from UMBC's neighborhood about tonight's game?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a huge game. I hope we get a big crowd today, especially rowdy students to give our guys a little bit of a boost. They'll need all the help we can give them.

If we were somehow able to take over 2nd place that would be huge going into the tourney. Not only physiologically but also give us a chance at a home game on ESPN should UMBC slip. This is the time you want to be peaking, hopefully our guys will come out with the energy and defensive intensity they did against UVM.

Probably the most important regular season game in a long time. And both teams go in on winning streaks.

From the first UMBC game - my observation is that we played two games - the first was 33 minutes the second was 7 minutes. There seemed to be so much structure in our offense, that we were hurting ourselves trying to be deliberate. If you work to hard to stick to the gameplan, sometimes you turn the ball over because you're playing with your head and not with your natural ability and inclination.

During the comeback we were more reckless, but not completely undisciplined. I'd like to see the reins come off a little more. Sitting behind our bench I saw a lot of our guys on the floor looking over to the bench to confirm whether they were 'doing it correctly.' When they came out of the game there was almost always immediate critique of their performance, very often negative.

These guys grew up on basketball courts. Now that they have melded into a team - with credit going to the coaching staff, they might be more effective reading defenses and getting into their own flow.

lets not get ahead of our selves, we still have 3 more games after tonight including the bracket buster. we are a team that goes game by game. we are unpredictable. if we can pull out a win tonight that will help us for the seeding of course. i like this kind of basketball because it is more interesting and provides more challenging work for each win we produce.

Bottom line, we have to act like we are playing VERMONT again.

Here is the link to today's story in the Times Union:

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story...sdate=2/20/2008

And the link to an article in this morning's Daily Gazette has more info on the status of our individual players:

http://www.dailygazette.com/news/2008/feb/20/220_danes/

Is there much talk on campus about the game tonight?

This is a huge game. I hope we get a big crowd today, especially rowdy students to give our guys a little bit of a boost. They'll need all the help we can give them.

If we were somehow able to take over 2nd place that would be huge going into the tourney. Not only physiologically but also give us a chance at a home game on ESPN should UMBC slip. This is the time you want to be peaking, hopefully our guys will come out with the energy and defensive intensity they did against UVM.

-With regard to student turnout, winter break ended yesterday, and classes resumed at 8AM this morning.

-Also of note, the Varsity Club is putting on a pre-game party (i.e., "Club Night") this evening in the PE Gym that involves students, prize give-aways, and distribution of student tickets. See below for a better and more accurate description.

-Beyond the foregoing, and the quoted text that follows, I can't provide much more information on student interest and potential turnout (but I hope the interest is high and turnout strong!).

"On Feb. 20 get ready to see the Varsity Club intensified! The Alumni Association has partnered with the Student Association to promote the Varsity Club to current students, exposing them to the many benefits of being a donor to UAlbany athletics. We have invited students to pick up their game ticket at the “Club” and enjoy free food, and raffle prizes including an iPod and flat screen TV.

The event will be fun, exciting and full of action. The DJ will be playing music, the gym will be bathed in “Club” lighting and don’t fret…we will still have beer for the Varsity Club members. We invite you to take in the experience, rub elbows with the UAlbany student fans and let them know all the benefits of being an official Varsity Club member! We have University Auxiliary Services (UAS) to thank for underwriting the majority of the event.

The Varsity Club check-in table will be in the outer lobby of the PE building for this game. ... ."

It'll be interesting to see this UMBC team this year. The only players I'll recognize are Fry, Greene and Hodges, my first look at the transfer trio will be tonight.

The matchup that will be fun to start will be who Greene plays. If he's matched up with Lillis I'd guess he could post up and have a field day early on. Probably won't happen since our starting five tends to almost beg opponents to play zone early on. The thing I've liked about this team the past couple of games is that we have three guards (Iati, Ambrose and Martin) to bring off the bench that all offer something different. If two out of the three play and shoot well we can be pretty good, I'd like to see all three play well at some point in the same game.

Quick question for the board members..

With Cavell Johnson (one of the UMBC one-year transfers) having been plunged in problems with his James Madison team status after his DWI in VA in 2006, would it be inappropriate to make printed out 'WANTED' signs with his picture on for the game tonight?

I have a feeling I'm gonna get a wide range of thoughts on this..lol..

I think this one should be let be. We all make mistakes, and for the most part, Johnson seems to have righted his.

Way too personal and we are classier as a fan base than that. We (well...I know you can) be more creative than that.

Maybe an oompa loompa thing for Jay Greene?

Archived