UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Regular Season Review

GDG,

Is that a general policy? A friend of mine and I went to a Cuse game at the Garden a few months back, and he was shocked/pissed that they didn't serve alcohol there. He says he always drank at games at the Carrier Dome. I dont understand the rules. Perhaps they consider the Carrier Dome a seperate entity - but then I've heard from numerous people you just cant drink at NCAA events in general.

Any idea?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Greek life itself isn't very big at UAlbany as a whole, not just at basketball games.

Can't serve alcohol at NCAA sponsored events on campus.

Why do they serve beer at the Carrier Dome during SU football/hoops games? Isn't the Carrier Dome on campus? I always thought that the private schools could do whatever they wanted, but I guess the NCAA levies that rule. How does SU do it you think?

GDG,

Is that a general policy? A friend of mine and I went to a Cuse game at the Garden a few months back, and he was shocked/pissed that they didn't serve alcohol there. He says he always drank at games at the Carrier Dome. I dont understand the rules. Perhaps they consider the Carrier Dome a seperate entity - but then I've heard from numerous people you just cant drink at NCAA events in general.

Any idea?

JustDrastik, looks like we crossed posts, posting the same question at once!

Others would surely know more than me, but I believe that's a general policy. I believe the Carrier Dome somehow skirts the issue as it's technically not part of the SU campus, even though it's right in it.

I believe it's only NCAA events on-campus, as the TUC sells beer during Siena games.

31.1.15 Availability of Alcoholic Beverages. Alcoholic beverages shall not be sold or otherwise made

available for public consumption at any championship event sponsored by or administered by the Association, nor

shall any such beverages be brought to the site during the championship (during the period from the time access

to the site is available to spectators until all patrons have left the facility or area used for competition).

31.6.2 Concessions. The following conditions or restrictions apply to all concession items sold at any event

sponsored or administered by the Association:

(e) No alcoholic beverages shall be sold or dispensed for public consumption at any event sponsored by or administered

by the Association.

From http://www.ncaa.org/library/membership/div...8_d1_manual.pdf

There are the actual rules, as opposed to the recommendations, but no way are these enforced. The references above are from "Article 31 - Executive Regulations." Does the Knick/Pepsi/TUC really sell beer at $iena games? Do they sell it during the MAAC tourney also?

Apparently though, NCAA Rules with respect to alcohol apply only to championship events.

The NCAA has jurisdiction only over championship games, where it forbids the sale of alcohol, said Stacey Osburn, associate director of public and media relations for the NCAA.

“During regular season games, each school is responsible for setting its own alcohol policies,” Osburn said.

From http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/...ns-beer-stands/

Alcohol no longer sold at pre-season NIT at MSG as of 2005.

http://dailybruin.ucla.edu/archives/id/34592/

I guess the next question would be whether an entire conference tournament is considered part of the championship, or whether the TUC could sell beer for the tournament games but not the champtionship. I'd have to imagine that the entire tourney is part of the "championship event" but who knows.

B)-->

QUOTE(Zalman B @ Mar 3 2008, 04:44 PM) 32159[/snapback]
Apparently though, NCAA Rules with respect to alcohol apply only to championship events.

The NCAA has jurisdiction only over championship games, where it forbids the sale of alcohol, said Stacey Osburn, associate director of public and media relations for the NCAA.

"During regular season games, each school is responsible for setting its own alcohol policies," Osburn said.

From http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/...ns-beer-stands/

Alcohol no longer sold at pre-season NIT at MSG as of 2005.

http://dailybruin.ucla.edu/archives/id/34592/

I guess the next question would be whether an entire conference tournament is considered part of the championship, or whether the TUC could sell beer for the tournament games but not the champtionship. I'd have to imagine that the entire tourney is part of the "championship event" but who knows.

I know one thing....you can buy beer at the Albany/Siena game (although they max you at 2 per person at a time). That is based on personal experience. I of course had to make multiple trips to verify that information.

Archived