UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

New UAlbany Brand...

MRSGDG

Email I received today on the ALL STUDENTS LIST SERVE from UA:

"Dear UAlbany Community:

Building on the success of UAlbany Day, I invite you to once again come

out and show your pride in our university. The date is Monday, April

14th, when the University launches its exciting new brand. The

announcement will take place at 12:30 p.m. in the atrium of University

Hall. I hope you will join me when we unveil to "the world" our new

marketing campaign.

Sincerely,

George Philip

Interim President"

EDIT: Sorry didn't realize there was already a thread on this http://bigpurplefans.ipbhost.com/index.php...98&hl=brand

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah...I too fail to have membership on that same list...and it is getting annoying. If it weren't for updates from our Athletic Dept contact, we would be so disjointed from the University.

Love it when I get that 8pm call from the student bank asking for funds.

Interesting how I'm only the "we want your money" list but not the "UAlbany Community" list.

Hmm........

Any word from the Capital MsGDG?

Yeah...I too fail to have membership on that same list...and it is getting annoying.

I'm on the student list, so thats why I received it. Not sure what other list they sent it out to.

As for the capital money, I am out today because I am sick, but still have access to the online bill tracking system from my apartment. They haven't seemed to update online yet the new bill numbers or updated the old A9801-9810 bills with the new amended versions that the Senate & Assembly would have to agree on. I do remember seeing a NYT article that said Silver said they were going to begin voting on them today which means they will have to assign bill numbers to the bills, once they do the text of the new budget bills should be online.. but as of right now they aren't.

If people are interested they can view the budget bills here (but right now I think they are still the non-amended ones): http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/menuf.cgi

It doesn't take much to get some of you bent out of shape, huh?..haha. I saw on the news today about a study that said about 80% of Americans are 'pessimistic' in their daily lives..I think some people on this board push those numbers higher! :P

Anyway, I'm on about 4 or 5 different email lists for/from the University (imagine how fun it is to get the same email announcement 5 times..lol) and I haven't gotten this notice yet. MsGDG mentioned she received it on the "All Students" listserv, so it obviously went to that group first.

Instead of getting annoyed, maybe be thankful that all of us on this board share info like this, so that which 'email list' we are or are not on becomes a bit moot?

Well..

1- I worked in marketing/biz development for enough years to know that the University REALLY REALLY sucks at it. AND I MEAN REALLY. They are light years behind most schools. My marketing speciality was higher education...so I kinda can speak to the issue.

They don't get how they need to maintain relationships. The athletic dept...is learning...which is VERY GOOD. They do a pretty good job of it. The overall U-- not so much.

And this has nothing to do with a President.

2- This folds to no. 2- asking for money from alumns (all of us) they are disconnected to you. You would have better luck panhandling. You can't just call and say in the 30 seconds you get before someone decides to listen, "Hey, UA is this, that, and the other, please donate.

3- I was at a reunion of over 300 people this weekend-- Alumns from the 90's. Most had no clue about Nanotech, Empire Commons, DI sports (bands, tourneys, etc.).

THAT IS SAD!

Well..

1- I worked in marketing/biz development for enough years to know that the University REALLY REALLY sucks at it. AND I MEAN REALLY. They are light years behind most schools. My marketing speciality was higher education...so I kinda can speak to the issue.

They don't get how they need to maintain relationships. The athletic dept...is learning...which is VERY GOOD. They do a pretty good job of it. The overall U-- not so much.

2- This folds to no. 2- asking for money from alumns (all of us) they are disconnected to you. You would have better luck panhandling. You can't just call and say in the 30 seconds you get before someone decides to listen, "Hey, UA is this, that, and the other, please donate.

3- I was at a reunion of over 300 people this weekend-- Alumns from the 90's. Most had no clue about Nanotech, Empire Commons, DI sports (bands, tourneys, etc.).

THAT IS SAD!

Even though that wasn't what my post was directly about, a 'veteran' of marketing would also know that some people don't care to be informed..no matter how much people try to make them. If those people don't know about basics of the University over the past 8-10 years, I'm not sure they care to know in they first place.

But regardless, I'm not sure how this discussion started over an event (actually, a number of them) that is attempting to fix the exact issue you're posting about.

And danefan, feel free to sign up at http://www.alumniconnections.com/olc/pub/UAB/ to get all the announcements you could desire.

All this info is out there and easily accessible.

Well..

THAT IS SAD!

Even though that wasn't what my post was directly about, a 'veteran' of marketing would also know that some people don't care to be informed..no matter how much people try to make them. If those people don't know about basics of the University over the past 8-10 years, I'm not sure they care to know in they first place.

But regardless, I'm not sure how this discussion started over an event (actually, a number of them) that is attempting to fix the exact issue you're posting about.

And danefan, feel free to sign up at http://www.alumniconnections.com/olc/pub/UAB/ to get all the announcements you could desire.

All this info is out there and easily accessible.

Already signed up and have been for years. And I still don't get them. I can't figure out why either.

As am I...which is exactly my point-- THE UNIVERSITY HAS A MAJOR PR ISSUE.

Additionally, the firm they hired...well let's just say they SHOULD/NEEDED to look down 2 hours south to the HOST OF UA alumns who care about the school and are in the business.

BTW-- all the alumns cared to know...they were excited when I told them about stuff; some of them were watching the UCONN game in bars-- however NONE KNEW THE EXTENT OF OUR GROWTH overall in many areas.

Again, the athletic dept, IMHO, does the best job of all the UA depts...and there is plenty of room for them to grow as well.

The fact that:

A) two of us who are discussing things here (danefan and myself) after signing up with alumniconnections-- well that is sad; and

B) the fact we have to rely on the ADEPT to feed us information about the U, which they do thankfully, is ridiculous.

Glad they are "branding", however they should be reaching out-- MONEY BUILDS BRANDS. What is the point of a brand when you don't even know your market. What focus groups have they had...etc.

Whether people like it or not, the MAJORITY OF MONEY accessible to the school lies with those NOT LIVING IN THE CAPITAL DISTRICT.

The brand...should be geared towards those people.

Glad they are "branding", however they should be reaching out-- MONEY BUILDS BRANDS. What is the point of a brand when you don't even know your market. What focus groups have they had...etc.

Come on D96. How do you critique an initiative (before it's even been announced) right before you admit that you don't know the work behind it?

While I'm certainly not an expert on this initiative, I've been 'briefed' on it's development enough to know that it's been a lengthy process that's included studies, surveys, focus groups, etc.

Come on D96. How do you critique an initiative (before it's even been announced) right before you admit that you don't know the work behind it?

While I'm certainly not an expert on this initiative, I've been 'briefed' on it's development enough to know that it's been a lengthy process that's included studies, surveys, focus groups, etc.

Communication gap-- I am not critical of the new plan...rather everything they have done in the past. However, the use of a firm in IOWA (I believe) is ridiculous. I can pepper this board with a list of very affordable and very unaffordable firms and agencies UA could have tapped that both would understand the product more and have VERY VERY HIGH PLACED (and lower level) UA alumni who would have a "stake in the brand." Heck, some of these people were highlighted in the UALBANY magazine.

Put it this way-- the previous $$$ spent on marketing efforts came back with horrible results. It is why we are at our current stage of re-branding.

To not tap Y&R, BBDO, J Walter, Gray, Millett (public health), Arnold, Cohen, Hill Holiday, etc.-- in addition to LOCAL firms-- is silly and lacks vision. When Quinnipiac wanted to re-brand because they wanted to grow their endowment to support athletics and overall campus growth (including new dorms) they stayed with people who knew their market. No one can argue with the results (whether or not we support the academic side growth).

Just my opinion.

Archived