UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

WILL-UMASS???

1- UMASS is not countering. The deal, from my source (which is solid) is around 4mm PER YEAR....YES PER YEAR. It is insane. I have VERY close ties to UMASS and they can't get up to the 750k range...and that would be a MASSIVE stretch if they could. Highly unlikely they can go higher than 500k. Personally, I think the OSU number is INFLATED. I think it is more in the 2mm range...which is still nuts for a guy like FORD.

2- Brown is not getting the UMASS job IMHO.

3- Tony Barbree, Derek Kellogg, Masiello, Tom Moore, and Kevin Willard would be the front-runners. Fran McCaffery and Will Brown are dark-horses.

4-IF WILL WERE OFFERED THAT JOB...I WOULD BE THE FIRST TO E-MAIL HIM and THOSE CLOSE TO HIM and SAY...TAKE IT!!!! I would offer my congratulations and undying respect for a man who has left us in a position NO ONE could fathom a mere few years ago. He has earned that job...and yes, that IS A MAJOR STEP UP and the right job for him to take.

Sadly for Will, I think he is not a front-runner. Happily for us, I would think he is back for another year...and maybe two! UMASS...would be the right fit for him, however.

The candidates --UMass alums Kellogg and Barbee have the Calipari connection. Masiello and Willard have the Pitino connection.

Moore has the Calhoun connection. Not sure if Barbee would leave UTEP--butUMass is the Alma Mater.

Will Brown would be in the mix if candidates like the above all said no. Doubtful that would happen.

Interesting post on TU-blog...

http://blogs.timesunion.com/collegesports/?p=822

Ya gotta love the stuff that surrounds these coaching moves/rumors...McCaffery COULD be a candidate...I would think that virtually anyone COULD be a candidate...LOL ....newspaper reporting aint what it used to be...nothing more than vaguely informed speculation disguised as reporting...well i guess they gotta say something even when nobody's talking...and what of this $700K buyout stuff on McCaffery's contract....heck if that's accurate the good Friars over there should actively encourage him to sign somewhere else and take the buyout proceeds...for a school of that size $700 K is still serious change for its General Fund! Something tells me that figures inflated just a little bit....

Interesting post on TU-blog...

http://blogs.timesunion.com/collegesports/?p=822

Ya gotta love the stuff that surrounds these coaching moves/rumors...McCaffery COULD be a candidate...I would think that virtually anyone COULD be a candidate...LOL ....newspaper reporting aint what it used to be...nothing more than vaguely informed speculation disguised as reporting...well i guess they gotta say something even when nobody's talking...and what of this $700K buyout stuff on McCaffery's contract....heck if that's accurate the good Friars over there should actively encourage him to sign somewhere else and take the buyout proceeds...for a school of that size $700 K is still serious change for its General Fund! Something tells me that figures inflated just a little bit....

If he goes---maybe the Will Brown to Siena rumors would start..........................

How about Brown get us a WIN in the NCAA tournament first, before he moves on to another job.

Prove to the world that he can get to the Big Dance without Jamar,

and prove to the world that he can win a NCAA tournament game.

He's certainly intelligent, by consorting with St. Bonaventure, in order to get a Big Raise with UAlbany, immediately after Jamar's career ended. Perfect time to have gotten the Big Raise, before the first season without Jamar.

He's good but how good is he?

Fran makes around $350,000 total salary. So UMass would have to pay Fran $700,000 approx to double his salary. Plus, Fran has a $700,000 buyout clause. Fran isn't going to UMass. It's BCS or bust.

I really don't have any idea if he is wanted by UMass or if he would go, but the salary increase at UMass would be a larger increase that Fran got when he left either of his first 2 jobs and the jump in schools also would be larger than either of his first 2 jumps. Up until a month ago, UMass had been to the Final 4 a lot more recently than Siena had been to the second round.

How about Brown get us a WIN in the NCAA tournament first, before he moves on to another job.

Prove to the world that he can get to the Big Dance without Jamar,

and prove to the world that he can win a NCAA tournament game.

He's certainly intelligent, by consorting with St. Bonaventure, in order to get a Big Raise with UAlbany, immediately after Jamar's career ended. Perfect time to have gotten the Big Raise, before the first season without Jamar.

He's good but how good is he?

Fran makes around $350,000 total salary. So UMass would have to pay Fran $700,000 approx to double his salary. Plus, Fran has a $700,000 buyout clause. Fran isn't going to UMass. It's BCS or bust.

I really don't have any idea if he is wanted by UMass or if he would go, but the salary increase at UMass would be a larger increase that Fran got when he left either of his first 2 jobs and the jump in schools also would be larger than either of his first 2 jumps. Up until a month ago, UMass had been to the Final 4 a lot more recently than Siena had been to the second round.

Umass cheated to get to that final four. It's no longer in the record books according to the NCAA. I believe Fran went to Siena to eventually land a BCS job, not an A10 job. Again, do you think UMass will pay a buyout that high? I doubt it.

Umass cheated to get to that final four. It's no longer in the record books according to the NCAA. I believe Fran went to Siena to eventually land a BCS job, not an A10 job. Again, do you think UMass will pay a buyout that high? I doubt it.

Look MTS, convince your self of whatever you would like and rationalize that final 4 away any way you like. I watched the game on TV. It happened.

I am not surprised any time a coach moves from one school to another for any reason. I don't follow that part of it close enough to know which coach is interested in which job or which school is interested in which coach. I already told you I don't know if UMass is even interested in Fran. But if they were and the raise was big enough, I think Fran would consider the job.

1- UMASS is not countering. The deal, from my source (which is solid) is around 4mm PER YEAR....YES PER YEAR. It is insane. I have VERY close ties to UMASS and they can't get up to the 750k range...and that would be a MASSIVE stretch if they could. Highly unlikely they can go higher than 500k. Personally, I think the OSU number is INFLATED. I think it is more in the 2mm range...which is still nuts for a guy like FORD.

Travis Ford Gets $9.1 Million Deal From Oklahoma State

Coach will receive $1.3 million a year for seven years in a deal approved Friday

Archived