UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UA vs. Siena

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not to be picky but Siena's actually been to the NCAAs twice (2002 and 2008) since the rivalry was resumed!

Frankly that is being picky.

This game belongs to the community. If Siena still played on their campus (which seems to be a better fit for all but the UA game), this would be a neutral-site annual game at the TUCenter.

Even without our 2,000 seats this is by far Siena's biggest payday. They talk about attendance and they tarp their facility.

Last year taking 2,000 of their gate would have given them 11,262.

Standford and St Joes combined to draw 12,710.

Easy to see that Siena wouldn't let this game go, we should have pushed the envelope and if they were inflexible we should have walked. Other than the community who would have been hurt more?

But this is what we got. You have to play the hand your dealt.

I won $200 at work but more importantly....kicked your collective a$$es! :D

There's no pride in chalk betting.

When you go to the race track do you bet the 3/5 to show?

Just kidding. Maybe.

Sorry Hagg, the equestrian/chalk analogy is lost on me. I'm not much of a better.

Easy to see that Siena wouldn't let this game go, we should have pushed the envelope and if they were inflexible we should have walked.

But this is what we got. You have to play the hand your dealt.

I disagree. I'd rather sit out a few hands and see who loses more.

Easy to see that Siena wouldn't let this game go, we should have pushed the envelope and if they were inflexible we should have walked. Other than the community who would have been hurt more?

Patch - you hit the nail on the head. This game BELONGS TO THE COMMUNITY

for better or worse the pressure to continue this game is immense on BOTH sides

Until we are near sell out for most of our games - ending this series is not a risk the program can take

We could try to spin it any way possible - but the bottom line would be that Albany ended it

We need to COURT the COMMUNITY not ALIENATE those you are not in the fold YET

We are still in the early stages of D1 - we have had great success in our conferences with limited success beyond that

It will take time - slow and steady - I will be at THE GAME - even if it is played on the courts in Washington Park and the ticket money goes directly to $iena Tony.

It is disappointing to see the responses of some of the biggest supporters saying they would not go to THE GAME

The deal stinks no doubt about it - BUT - this is an event that even a casual fan should not miss

Sarge , Patch and King Dane

You all make some good points.

Yes, the game belongs to the community and obviously this game benefits Siena way more than UA no matter how the pro Siena group want to spin the expenses of the game. Obviously when you sell as almost many tickets in 1 game at higher prices "after the allotment" than in 2 games you are coming out way ahead.

And yes the deal stinks for UA, but again in my opinion there has to be more to it than we know about or Dr M would not have made the deal. I agree with Sarge there has to be great pressure by the politicians among others to continue the game and we do need as much support as we can get from the politicians in building the football stadium among other things. And obviously certain politicians aren't going to be happy if the game was not played. So it probably makes sense at this time to get the best deal we can.

But that doesn't mean as a fan I have to like the deal or that I am under any obligation to buy a ticket if UA sells out their allotment as they have done in the past few years.

I respect the opinion of those of you who "would not miss this game for anything" even figuratively buying a ticket with the money going to $iena Tony. I feel differently, but we see plenty of times in the major sports scalpers selling tickets to games at ridiculous prices because the person they are selling to has to go to that game at "any price." It is a common opinion.

Well I for one am happy that the game is on...the cold truth here is that there is no other venue in which this game can be played before 13-14 k fans...and unfortunately Siena by virtue of its contract with TUC can claim this publicly financed facility as thier home court...while this deal is by no means close to "parity"...its incrementally bettter... and I think that we need to view this whole issue in an incremental fashion...and over time, due principally to the economics of D-1 sports, relative size of the the two schools and local alum base a tipping point will be invariably reached where U-A sits in cat bird seat for this game, its a matter of time and dollars and cents plain and simple, not who won last year or who may win next year or two years from now,etc....I also expect that Siena will move back to L-ville for most of thier home games at some point in the next 3-5 years...they simply can't afford the TUC much longer.....in the mean time I suggest the Dane faithful remain patient, and plan on attending the game!!! Its fun for gosh sakes!!! (but buy your tickets from U-A!!!)

I also expect that Siena will move back to L-ville for most of thier home games at some point in the next 3-5 years...they simply can't afford the TUC much longer.....

I have the feeling that Siena has too much pride to move back on-campus. If the price of a more intimate on-campus facility was more than that to continuing being a tenant at the TUC, which decision would be the more financially prudent to make? If you had millions to burn, would you rather donate it towards building an on-campus arena and possibly being immortalized or by paying the rent for a huge arena? With the rising cost of materials, I sadly think that Siena isn't going to leave the TUC anytime soon given the cost of an arena will only increase as time passes; look at that boondoggle of a convention center that is superfluous and has no right to exist doubling in cost in 5 years before a single shovel has been lifted.

Archived