UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Construction Updates

ATL_DANE

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 Questions:

Anyone know about locker rooms and bathrooms?

Also, anyone remember the total cost of the JFF project and when/from where the money was acquired?

Do we have any money set aside for any other athletic field projects at the moment?

A sanitary line was part of the project, so I assume bathrooms will be included. Not much has been done under the stands yet, but I don't think there's space for lockerrooms under there, they'll still have to use University Gym or RACC lockers. I'm also guessing they'll pave the rest of the grounds with asphalt.

I seem to remember about 3-4 million for the stands, and the two turf fields probably under 1.5-2 million combined. Of course Fallon donated $250K seed money. The rest I don't know.

Much better with the seating.

Can't wait to see it filled.

I also can't wait to see 12,000 seats of purple and gold in a stadium!

Only 12,000? :( (Different topic, I know, and one that was already debated at length -- I'm hoping our stadium is at least (or comparable to) what UMASS's stadium is insofar as capacity and size is concerned.)

UMASS's McGuirk Stadium (seating capacity of 17,000):

1220621516.jpg

I would expect the stadium to be around 15k, and I agree with danefan that it will probably take on the configuration that he described.

I talked with the university president's assistant, asking her if the stadium was going to be placed 1st on the university priority list and asked her if the budget funding failed this coming year, do we have other options in place to proceed. I received a vague answer on all fronts.

Which got me thinking, we may need to keep the fire lit under the asses of some people that are players in the ballgame.

http://uofalbany.blogspot.com/2007/11/dr-m...bbying-for.html

We were assured at the UAlbany golf outting that the stadium was the University's #1 funding priority in this year's budget. Unless things have changed since then.....which the way the economy is.......you never know

Thanks df

By the way, I just received an email from 'Fall 2008 Facilities News and Project Updates' :

http://www.albany.edu/facilities/documents...news-9-2008.pdf

Mentioned:

►SITE PLANNING AND CONCEPT STUDY – MULTI-USE ATHLETIC FACILITY….study underway; preferred site and size selected; planned report to be completed September 2008…

I expect to only see it at 12,000-15,000 with an upper deck only on one side to start.

Put the upper deck on the other side to expand more.

I would be disappointed to see a capacity less than 15k with an expansion capability to 25k.... unfortunately we have few supporters in government, as opposed to UB and SBU.

I like 15k as a starter capacity because I want to keep up with Stony Brook. The way SBU keeps expanding they'll be at 15k by the time we’re done pouring our foundation. Keeping up with Stony Brook is a requirement! I’ve heard the arguments that we aren’t Penn State or Rutgers. I’ve heard the argument that we’re not Buffalo… but damn it, we’re at least Stony Brook!

By the way, I also received a cryptic email response from administration when I inquired about the stadium. They were hopeful but it depends on the economy…. and probably after UB adds another 10,000 seats to their stadium and Stony Brook gets an expansion and Oswego gets their share. Then they’ll consider UAlbany. I hope we have contingency plans if the state abandons UA, again.

I had heard they selected a site and size. We'll see what the reports says. I don't know if its public, so I'm not going to put it out there yet.

But I do expect JFF to get some extra use in the near future.

In other words, you know the preferred site and size?

And you expect JFF to get what kind of extra use in the near future, and how near in the future are we talking?

OK, I'm calling the seating finished.

dscn0480oa3.jpg

dscn0475fv7.jpg

There's still work to do beneath and behind the grandstand.

dscn0477ub8.jpg

dscn0476iv4.jpg

The area between JFF and Indian Quad that held dirt piles during construction has been covered with gravel, and a big modular trailer is about to be sited. Project 2010 shows a large structure to be built there.

dscn0481tb7.jpg

Of course the trailer may also be construction headquarters for the Indian Lake dredging project . Some brush was being cleared near where the old bridge crossed the pond 40 years ago (by the hockey field, for youngsters), there were two guys in a rowboat sounding the water with a big stick, and a surveyor taking readings on them from near third base. Dredging is supposed to start this month.

• 2 weeks later...

They've poured a lot of concrete for sidewalks behind the grandstand this week.

Oddly, they were removing the yellow panels from below the seats, almost half of them gone by noon today. They're still in the staircases. Did they decide it's the wrong color?

They've poured a lot of concrete for sidewalks behind the grandstand this week.

Oddly, they were removing the yellow panels from below the seats, almost half of them gone by noon today. They're still in the staircases. Did they decide it's the wrong color?

Maybe they thought it was "too much". I was kind of leaning towards that opinion too.

received this e mail recently:

Please join University at Albany Interim President George Philip and Business School Dean Donald Siegel at a dedication ceremony for the new School of Business Building on Friday, October 3rd. The event will take place at 11:00 a.m. at the Grand Entry Plaza of the University at Albany at 11:00 a.m. We hope you can be there to celebrate this important University milestone

Archived