UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

NY economy...

reeder

Danefan I don't think it's the purpose of the stadium facility to draw fans (maybe it will draw some initially).

Without a commitment from the State???????

The goal should be full scholarship football, a better on the field product . No knock on Fordie and what his teams have done. They have overachieved against great odds. Then, make significant upgrades to University Field so you can start start bringing in some name schools for home games and more fans will come and we'll have a much improved football environment.

Unless we go full schollie we could have a beautiful stadium laying almost dormant. In fact we probably would have to bag over 1/2 the stadium like $iena does at the TU.

I know that's not the main purpose, but it has to be a major thought. Building the stadium is about building a program which you cannot do without a following. I'm not advocating for just building the stadium and scrapping everything else.

If I had a choice (which of course my opinion doesn't really matter either way) I would upgrade University Field to seat 8,000 people now. Build totally new stands on the away side now and turn that into the home side for now. I'd also upgrade the track to be able to host major track and field events. Have it done by the 2010 season at the latest. I would then try and force the NEC's hand to increase the scholarship limit to 90% of 63 which will allow NEC teams to play FBS schools. If they didn't want to move on that I'd go Indy in 2012. Hopefully that will lead to Indy for 1 or 2 years tops with a new northeastern FCS conference on the horizon by then.

Regardless of what is the choice that is made I think there has to be a timeline and plan announced to potential donors. Brochures, DVD's, etc....

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone have an inkling of how much private money UA has raised over the past few years this stadium has been a hot topic. That would speak volumes about where we are.

Maybe it's only people who are on this board that see it as a big deal, if so that would be very depressing!!!!

Anyone have an inkling of how much private money UA has raised over the past few years this stadium has been a hot topic. That would speak volumes about where we are.

Maybe it's only people who are on this board that see it as a big deal, if so that would be very depressing!!!!

I too would love to know that figure. I wish they had some sort of chart showing how much they've raised - like they have the thermometers for hospital fundraisers! :D

I would hope it is a large amount but I don't know. I have spoken to many alumni that I have tried to convince to donate, but they have been reluctant and the vast majority of them are unwilling to donate at this point because they are waiting for a plan to be announced regarding the future of the program. People who aren't active (like us) really have no clue what the deal is. The TU hasn't really covered anything. The Sports Information department doesn't have the resources to devote the time necessary to promote the football program when there are so many nationally successful programs at UA to promote. It would be a lot easier if we were a one-trick pony (see SBU or Buffalo), but we're not.

People keep asking why we are still in the NEC at apparently 26 scholarships with SBU at full scholarship and other similar questions. No one has ever really addressed that issue and I'm not sure they ever will (maybe its not an issue for the fans to know about).

This is not a knock on the people who are trying extremely hard to get this done. I know the folks in the fundraising department work tirelessly raising money. They are handcuffed here though. Seems like everyone in NY is stuck in limbo land right now.

I think getting funding from the state is going to be tough. Its time for our leadership (UA and legislative) to step forward and find some creative solutions whether that be public-private partnerships, loans or capital campaigns. Leadership proves itself it tough times. Anyone can be a leader when things are good.

If this economic crisis proves anything, it that NYS it too dependent on NYC. NYC is too dependent on the financial sector on Wall Street. NYS should make efforts to diversify and initiatives like Albany Nano is a perfect way to begin. Maybe the SUNY Centers will finally be allowed differential tuition? If NYS can't support the university; the university needs to support itself. Starving the university is not acceptable.

while i all think it depends on what other campuses are asking for, if it doesn't happen this year, it won't happen for another 5-10 years...to which then the athletic department needs to seriously consider just focusing university field and upgrading that with whatever they can get from the state or private donors.

GreatDanes06,

Just out of curiosity --- and I think we can both agree that we hope the statement quoted herein is inaccurate --- what is the basis for your conclusion, with regard to funding for the stadium, that "if it doesn't happen this year, it won't happen for another 5-10 years."

Absent some facts backing that up, I think, respectfully, that that claim is rather cacophonic. Where am I going wrong? Are you concerned about the current trends of the economy, the stock market, or some other macro-level economic variable? Or are you aware of something specific to our stadium issue? Reading that our stadium might not receive funding for another 5-10 years upsets me (and everyone else on here), so I'm just trying to explore that statement a bit, that's all! :)

Recently, I was corresponding with several people that would have specific knowledge about our concerns.

I specifically asked what the total of the stadium fund was at that moment, and asked what would be our plan if again, in this year's budget, we failed to get stadium funding. These questions were among several that I presented. I was NOT surprised that neither question was even acknowledged in the responses that I actually received.

I was very surprised that we did not receive any funding for the stadium last year. Although things might have been tightening a bit, there were alot of projects in SUNY that should not have been funded, if our stadium didn't get it.

One point of optimism, the stadium should be #1 on the list, as stated by Interim President Philip declared. If I were to guess, I'd say that if funding fails to go through in this year's budget, then we won't get it for quite a few years from the State of New York.

It is advisable for the University to have a contingency plan ready for deployment in the Spring. Low interest loans, etc...... Who here knows what we can do if we don't get the funding?

Quote by danefan:

"Regardless of what is the choice that is made I think there has to be a timeline and plan announced to potential donors. Brochures, DVD's, etc.... "

I totally agree.. Establishing motivation by enlightening people on the direction of our football program and facility would help tremendously. Lots of time I personally feel left in the dark in terms of our future plans and direction.

honestly, i think it just has to do with everything economy wise. ny state is in some serious times, even worse then other states, mostly because of that connection to wall street etc...it just is a view, and its a view based just on what i read about the economy. for all i know i am wrong, and hopefully i am.

the fact is, if this is the #1 priority on the university list for the upcoming budget, and the state won't give them that, to me it means they aren't giving stuff to all the universities. knowing ny state, if they cut it off for one year, it will probably happen for at least 2-3 more years after that. the other issue is you guys are saying lets get loans to cover it...PEOPLE/BANKS AREN'T EVEN LENDING TO EACH OTHER. this is why i am seriously worried.

like i said, hopefully i am wrong.

SUNY system could be facing drastic cuts with Wall Street crisis

(Albany) The statewide budget cuts ordered by Governor David Paterson for all state agencies could have a nightmare impact on the State University system. And the recent Wall Street crisis will make things much worse.

A spokesman for SUNY central told CBS 6 news the cuts, on top of reductions called for earlier this year, could have a potential impact on all 30 suny campuses of 210 million dollars. And the president of the UUP, United University of Professions, Phil Smith said this could mean drastic cuts in student admissions, fewer courses and fewer faculty.

Smith says this situation will impact any family wishing to send their child to a SUNY school. UUP is calling on the public to go to their website and sign a letter to the Governor asking him to restore the SUNY cuts.

We contacted UAlbany to find out how the cuts will impact the school, but a spokesman told us UAlbany was in a ‘holding pattern' right now and they would not speculate on what the cuts would mean until the school with 18 thousand students saw hard numbers.

http://www.cbs6albany.com/news/street_1257...lbany_suny.html

SUNY system could be facing drastic cuts with Wall Street crisis

(Albany) The statewide budget cuts ordered by Governor David Paterson for all state agencies could have a nightmare impact on the State University system. And the recent Wall Street crisis will make things much worse.

A spokesman for SUNY central told CBS 6 news the cuts, on top of reductions called for earlier this year, could have a potential impact on all 30 suny campuses of 210 million dollars. And the president of the UUP, United University of Professions, Phil Smith said this could mean drastic cuts in student admissions, fewer courses and fewer faculty.

Smith says this situation will impact any family wishing to send their child to a SUNY school. UUP is calling on the public to go to their website and sign a letter to the Governor asking him to restore the SUNY cuts.

We contacted UAlbany to find out how the cuts will impact the school, but a spokesman told us UAlbany was in a ‘holding pattern' right now and they would not speculate on what the cuts would mean until the school with 18 thousand students saw hard numbers.

http://www.cbs6albany.com/news/street_1257...lbany_suny.html

Thanks for the link!

grrr...........seems like UAlbany has been in a "holding pattern" for 3 years now. :glare:

$2 billion more in budget cuts coming:

http://blogs.timesunion.com/capitol/archives/8886

As quoted in the news piece:

"Paterson said he’ll put his budget out before January, on Dec. 16 and will push to complete the budget before the April 1 deadline. "

Does this mean SUNY Universities will need to submit their budget requests to SUNY Central, and in turn, SUNY Central will need to submit its overall budget request, by mid December?

$2 billion more in budget cuts coming:

http://blogs.timesunion.com/capitol/archives/8886

As quoted in the news piece:

"Paterson said he'll put his budget out before January, on Dec. 16 and will push to complete the budget before the April 1 deadline. "

Does this mean SUNY Universities will need to submit their budget requests to SUNY Central, and in turn, SUNY Central will need to submit its overall budget request, by mid December?

Sounds like it. The Governor's SUNY budget is generally the budget that SUNY Central provides.

Maybe that's why the facilities page says the stadium site plan won't be released until Dec 8th.

I'm really bored. Work has been slow this week (first week all year). So I've been searching for stadiums that might fit University Field.

I think I finally found one:

Norfolk State's Dick Price Stadium. Its not nearly as flashy as the rendering we've seen, but I think it would be really nice if it was new and purple and gold!

Norfolk_aerial.jpg

This stadium seats 30,000 as is which is clearly way too big. But it shows that it could hold enough.

Build the home section on the side of the Science Library and leave make the current home side the visitors side and do not touch it yet. If you don't build the end-zone seating yet I bet it would seat 15,000.

I'd personally like to move the track somewhere else, but who knows when that could happen. I'd hate to stifle what is becoming a very good track program.

This stadium was built in 1997 for $12.2 million. I would have to imagine that UA could build a 15,000 seat version of this for under $15 million. That seems like a much more manageable number to get state funding for then $35 million. Doesn't it?

Does there come a point where UA is holding out for the best for too long and missing other opportunities to do something suitable?

Just throwing it out there. Don't kill me please.

Archived