UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

All Capital District Basketball team...

Quack - Hey I'm not arguing with you. I think most of what was in your original post is solid. Thanks for coming over here and stating your point of view.

Fans are Fanatics on both sides the only time I get upset with $ome $iena fans is when they get their aloof, arrogant attitude in gear.

Maybe it's their poor judgement or mine but I just don't get it.

But to you Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

ps - you do relaize the best hoop in the Capital District was played at St. Rose in the late 90s!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quack - Hey I'm not arguing with you. I think most of what was in your original post is solid. Thanks for coming over here and stating your point of view.

Fans are Fanatics on both sides the only time I get upset with $ome $iena fans is when they get their aloof, arrogant attitude in gear.

Maybe it's their poor judgement or mine but I just don't get it.

But to you Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

ps - you do relaize the best hoop in the Capital District was played at St. Rose in the late 90s!

Fair enough ... again, from my perspective it goes both ways and there are plenty of UAlbany fans who also have attitude issues when it comes from their rivals from the suburbs. By no means am I defending the craziest of Siena fans ... every fan base has their share of over the top supporters.

While St Rose had a great run in the 90's, I would certainly argue that the Hewitt teams of the late 90's were no slouches in their own right.

I can't find the original question on the survey, but wasn't part of the question to answer what players or coaches had the most impact on the team? If so, that isn't the same as asking who the best players are. If my memory is correct, that scenario lends itself well into answering the question about which players or coaches had the greatest influence on a team's historical development. In that way, schools such as HVCC and St. Rose, among others, get to contribute legitimately to the discussion without necessarily competing at the highest level.

Just a thought.

[Lastly, bob87, not for nothing, but didn't Singlais participate in putting the list together? How many other AE programs feature a full time beat reporter following their basketball team? Why not enjoy the extensive coverage your program does get rather than complain about the fairly comparable coverage that Siena gets.

Quack

You are certainly entitled to your opinion on coverage. I disagree.

I wouldn't ask how many other AE teams have a full time reporter, but how is the others local coverage compared to their peers. Example Hartford vs. Central Ct State. UMBC Vs Loyola, etc.

I see what I see in the TU in all sports. When Siena has a team that can compete with Albany like last year in volleyball, all of a sudden the TU stops ignoring that sport and writes a pro Siena article. When Siena sucks, but the Albany team is still good we are lucky we see one article when the team is playing for the ncaas and then the Albany - Siena game no longer deserves an article.

As far as Mark S participating, it looks like he had a couple of blog entries but I did not see his name on the original request or the article published nor did I see any criteria for this or who else was involved in the selections.

I loved Lillis as a player and thought he deferred to Wilson/Siggers way too much earlier in his career, but I question his inclusion on this team. (I'm sure there are more deserving Albany players from pre-D1 days that did not get honored. )

I agree that there are deserving Albany players from the pre 1 days. There are about 10 "old time" basketball players in the Albany HOF and I don't know how to rank them to each other or against Brian Lillis since I didn't see them play. Nor do I think Siena beat writer is qualified to make that call. That was one of my original points about selecting this team . In order to be valid this team would need people with that knowledge doing the rankings.

[Lastly, bob87, not for nothing, but didn't Singlais participate in putting the list together? How many other AE programs feature a full time beat reporter following their basketball team? Why not enjoy the extensive coverage your program does get rather than complain about the fairly comparable coverage that Siena gets.

Quack

You are certainly entitled to your opinion on coverage. I disagree.

I wouldn't ask how many other AE teams have a full time reporter, but how is the others local coverage compared to their peers. Example Hartford vs. Central Ct State. UMBC Vs Loyola, etc.

I see what I see in the TU in all sports. When Siena has a team that can compete with Albany like last year in volleyball, all of a sudden the TU stops ignoring that sport and writes a pro Siena article. When Siena sucks, but the Albany team is still good we are lucky we see one article when the team is playing for the ncaas and then the Albany - Siena game no longer deserves an article.

As far as Mark S participating, it looks like he had a couple of blog entries but I did not see his name on the original request or the article published nor did I see any criteria for this or who else was involved in the selections.

I loved Lillis as a player and thought he deferred to Wilson/Siggers way too much earlier in his career, but I question his inclusion on this team. (I'm sure there are more deserving Albany players from pre-D1 days that did not get honored. )

I agree that there are deserving Albany players from the pre 1 days. There are about 10 "old time" basketball players in the Albany HOF and I don't know how to rank them to each other or against Brian Lillis since I didn't see them play. Nor do I think Siena beat writer is qualified to make that call. That was one of my original points about selecting this team . In order to be valid this team would need people with that knowledge doing the rankings.

Good points Bob (must say I am awfully surprised by the tenor of your response. Perhaps we're entering into a new era of Siena/Albany relations ... probably not. :) ) I don't necessarily agree with you, but certainly understand where you are coming from.

to Olddog, I was under the impression that they were looking for the best players not the most important to their respective programs. If not, it would seem likely that every local program would get just one on the first team (and how could you say Union's most important player deserves first team honors over Skidmores or RPI's ... etc)

The thing is, though, that it was designed to generate conversation ... which it obviously has done. It was meant to be a fun exercise not the end all and be all of local college hoops.

As always Albany fans, best of luck on the season every day except when you make the trip downtown.

to Olddog, I was under the impression that they were looking for the best players not the most important to their respective programs. If not, it would seem likely that every local program would get just one on the first team (and how could you say Union's most important player deserves first team honors over Skidmores or RPI's ... etc)

The thing is, though, that it was designed to generate conversation ... which it obviously has done. It was meant to be a fun exercise not the end all and be all of local college hoops.

As always Albany fans, best of luck on the season every day except when you make the trip downtown.

quackman,

Thanks for your contributions to this discussion. It's always nice to have rational, reasoned discussion.

I agree that the exercise was intended to be a fun exercise, and in that spirit, I think the TU wanted to generate a list of student-athletes that made a mark in the Capital District. For that reason, I think that the compilers of the information intended to get an all-rounded group of athletes that made major contributions for their times to their respective teams. For that reason, a player was included from Union College, even though it could be very easily argued that he was not the most athetic or productive team member possible out of the dozen or so members who were chosen to the TU team. He was a member of a team at the Division III level.

Otherwise, virtually the whole team of athletes would have consisted only of Siena team members since the school has been at the Division I level for at least three times longer than any other school within the region. I don't think it was the intention of Iorizzo or Singelais to make up a dream team monopolized by only one school.

As always, it's fun to speculate on such topics.

quackman,

Thanks for your contributions to this discussion. It's always nice to have rational, reasoned discussion.

I agree that the exercise was intended to be a fun exercise, and in that spirit, I think the TU wanted to generate a list of student-athletes that made a mark in the Capital District. For that reason, I think that the compilers of the information intended to get an all-rounded group of athletes that made major contributions for their times to their respective teams. For that reason, a player was included from Union College, even though it could be very easily argued that he was not the most athetic or productive team member possible out of the dozen or so members who were chosen to the TU team. He was a member of a team at the Division III level.

Otherwise, virtually the whole team of athletes would have consisted only of Siena team members since the school has been at the Division I level for at least three times longer than any other school within the region. I don't think it was the intention of Iorizzo or Singelais to make up a dream team monopolized by only one school.

As always, it's fun to speculate on such topics.

well said olddog ... I actually almost posted similar thoughts on the difference between Siena and the other programs (primarily that they were D1 longer) but chose not to as I didn't want to start a war. (I'm glad I didn't because you spelled it out much better than I would have.)

Apparently the TU is constructing an all capital district team...only people who played COLLEGE ball in the area is in consideration...13 players, plus a head coach and assistants (the assistants selected can be head coaches). What UA players do you think should be on this list?? I would think Sauers as a coach and Jamar as a player would HAVE to be a given, right?

Sauers and Jamar would have to be on the team if it is to be taken seriously.

But the request for the team is by the Siena beat writer (not a sports editor) so that ought to tell you something about the what that $iena paper is looking for and how much we should pay attention to it.

I will give it the zero credibility it deserves.

It's really easy to issue zero credibility when you realistically have a near zero chance of placing a kid on the team.

Well apparently your math is off.....we have a 20% chance of putting a kid on the team and a head coach. Man that must chap your ass....I'm sure if you had it your way, the team would be packed with Siena player and coaches. Good thing they left Hewitt off the team someone had to not make it and I'm glad it was him, he was here for only 3 season and bolted.

Bosiyid

Not just his math is off.

He just wrote an idiotic comment like most Siena or maac fans do.

Again this is a team picked by the TU and primarily the LCC beat writer. How is he an expert enough on the history of Capital region basketball to pick this team.

As I said Sauers and Jamar would have to be on the team if it is to be taken seriously. They are on the team, so his dumb point about having no one on the team makes absolutely NO SENSE.

Also the fact that the TU made a couple of obvious selections still doesn't prove they have the qualifications to select a legitimate team.

Apparently the TU is constructing an all capital district team...only people who played COLLEGE ball in the area is in consideration...13 players, plus a head coach and assistants (the assistants selected can be head coaches). What UA players do you think should be on this list?? I would think Sauers as a coach and Jamar as a player would HAVE to be a given, right?

But the request for the team is by the Siena beat writer (not a sports editor) so that ought to tell you something about the what that $iena paper is looking for and how much we should pay attention to it.

It's really easy to issue zero credibility when you realistically have a near zero chance of placing a kid on the team.

Well apparently your math is off.....we have a 20% chance of putting a kid on the team and a head coach. Man that must chap your ass....I'm sure if you had it your way, the team would be packed with Siena player and coaches. Good thing they left Hewitt off the team someone had to not make it and I'm glad it was him, he was here for only 3 season and bolted.

My math was dead on! Because the TU needed to be politically correct, you have players added to this nonsense team. There is not ONE USmallbany name that belongs there. Name the kid and I'll give you Siena names that trump big time. Sauers was a great DIVISION THREE coach and that's all. Our friend at Georgia Tech could out coach Sauers while sleeping.

My math was dead on! Because the TU needed to be politically correct, you have players added to this nonsense team. There is not ONE USmallbany name that belongs there. Name the kid and I'll give you Siena names that trump big time. Sauers was a great DIVISION THREE coach and that's all. Our friend at Georgia Tech could out coach Sauers while sleeping.

You didn't answer the question.

Bosi - Don't waste your breathe on this argumentative $iena tool, he comes here to spout his rhetoric and display his arrogance just like I told Quack happens all the time.

The fact that he's here is enough - he doesn't come to add anything he comes to malign.

Guys like him ruin it for those intelligent Siena hoop fans who from time to time come here to contribute.

The rivalry (for lack of a better term) between $iena fans and UA fans is fun and heated (in agood way) most of the time but every once in awhile an arrogant $OB $aint wonders this way just looking to start an argument, this is what we have here.

Bosi - Don't waste your breathe on this argumentative $iena tool, he comes here to spout his rhetoric and display his arrogance just like I told Quack happens all the time.

The fact that he's here is enough - he doesn't come to add anything he comes to malign.

Guys like him ruin it for those intelligent Siena hoop fans who from time to time come here to contribute.

The rivalry (for lack of a better term) between $iena fans and UA fans is fun and heated (in agood way) most of the time but every once in awhile an arrogant $OB $aint wonders this way just looking to start an argument, this is what we have here.

I agree, that's why I didn't dispute his idiotic post. He is the kind of wanna be Siena/MAAC elitist who thinks his shet don't stink and exactly the kind of poster that has people hating Siena and those outside the MAAC hating the MAAC. Every village has it's idiot....and he is the MAAC's/Siena's idiot!

Archived