UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Recruiting

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you guys think we can get this kid? I'm thinking with his old man coaching Iowa St, they have to be the favorite.

He's only a 3 star prospect...probably not good enough to play at Iowa St. unless he would have committed already I would think

From what I've heard/seen, he might walk on for his dad, don't know how probably or likely it is but we will be looking for a PG and a post player in the '10 class. He was the sixth man for his team this year as a junior, his team won the state championship one of the kids on that team is holding an offer from Duke, UCLA and a couple of other big time programs like that. Doug has impressed on many occasions even being overshadowed by a huge talent like this....he will start his senior year and will probably continue to improve so the number of suitors will probably increase.

• 1 month later...

For what it's worth the GoCyclones site still has us as offering McDermott - Story about him here.

McDermotts travel to Cali for camp

By Courtney Linehan

Date Posted: 2009-05-29

For years Greg McDermott and every other Division I basketball coach has spent the month of April bouncing from city to city, watching elite high school athletes compete in AAU tournaments and events. A recent NCAA ruling says they cannot continue doing so in 2009.

The change came at a perfect time for the Iowa State basketball coach, whose son, Doug, had a breakout junior season at Ames High and is now in the midst of a busy summer loaded with AAU tournaments and invitation-only camps.

“We couldn’t go to the certified events on the weekends in April this past year where in the past we were able to, so I was able to go to watch him play in Arkansas and then again in Dallas during the April period, have been able to follow him a little bit in May as a dad,” McDermott said.

This weekend father and son are in Los Angeles, where Doug is participating in the Pangos All-American Camp. Doug’s Ames High teammate Harrison Barnes is also at the invitation-only event, where some of the top high school basketball players in the country will show off their skills.

“It’s going to give Doug some exposure against some different types of players and some very talented players and will help him see where he stands,” McDermott said. “It’s an honor for him to be invited, I know he’s excited about it and excited about the challenge the weekend will present.”

While Doug spent much of the Ames High season as the team’s sixth man, he had a breakout stretch in January and dipped in and out of the starting lineup. When the Little Cyclones finished 27-0 and won the Class 4A state title, Doug was named to the All-State Tournament team.

McDermott said Doug has continued that success on the AAU circuit. Doug is now ranked as a three-star prospect by recruiting Web site Scout.com. He has scholarship offers from Albany, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Northern Iowa.

“I’m really proud of him; he’s working extremely hard at the game and that hard work is paying off,” McDermott said. “He’s played some of the best basketball he’s ever played.

“It’s been fun for me as a dad to be a part of that and get to watch him play as much as I’ve gotten to watch him play this spring. In some ways it makes up for the amount of games I missed this winter.”

• 5 months later...

Recruit a new Head Coach!

We get it.

If you really want to help what you see as a struggling program please take some of that energy and do something constructive.

I am, I'm trying to rally everyone to rid of the problem..and that's HC Will Brown, offensively inept, poor recruiter, runs players off year in and year out.. UAlbany basketball needs a new identity. No more grind it out, slow it up, score 50-60ppg in pure Ugly basketball..more of a run and gun, fast tempo, press d, outside shooting, scoring 70-80ppg. Unless Brown grinds out another AE title, it's time for a CHANGE next season.

I'd like to see them get a 6'6-6'8 atheletic swing man ala Edwin Ubiles. UAlbany could use a more virsetile player on the wing that can slash and score with some size and good ball handling. There is no one on the roster that fits that mold. Possibly Watts could be that guy but looks like he will redshirt this year.

Why are we looking for another PG? I thought we have Mike Black

You need to have a couple of PG's on the roster.....after MJ graduates this season I think we go with Black as the starter and Tartt will back him up. Then in '11-'12 season when Black is a junior I figure we'd want to bring a pg to back him up and groom him to take over when Black graduates.

We need some balance at the PG spot...that way ideally you have a Junior/Senior PG while grooming a freshmen.

I'd like to see them get a 6'6-6'8 atheletic swing man ala Edwin Ubiles. UAlbany could use a more virsetile player on the wing that can slash and score with some size and good ball handling. There is no one on the roster that fits that mold.

You think?

Yup, there's got to be someone out there UA can bring in and be effective right away.

Archived