UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Purple and Gold Scrimmage...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I find it interesting that no one has mentioned Hastings. I thought he played some pretty good D in the scrimmage.

Also hit a couple of shots. Really, he didn't stand out to me, kind of the same player he was last year. Didn't really disappoint or surprise.

Anyone else care to give an educated guess on the starting lineup, now that we've seen the team play a bit?

Anyone else care to give an educated guess on the starting lineup, now that we've seen the team play a bit?

I'm not able to give an educated guess, just a guess. The lineup that looked good to me was:

Raffa - although I'd probably be happy with Johnson too.

Ambrose

Harris

Connelly

Jimmy C.

Probably a few more inital mistakes with Raffa at the point but he surprised me. I thought given his scoring total in H.S. that he'd look to shoot a lot more and maybe force somethings. He did make a couple bad passes but seemed to take what was there. I like the first four guys in that starting lineup to score and Covington does a lot of little things that make the game easier for everyone.

After that

Johnson - in for our two-prong PG attack

Allen - will find any excuse to put him in. Probably at SF?

Barraza at SG although he'll have to fight Hastings for it and I don't envy him that.

McRae - I can already see he's the guy I'll be rooting for to get more time this year. I'll start working on the shirt.

Giff - always happy to see him go in.

One more thing I was talking about with someone yesterday was Juco transfers. It seems like in college basketball Juco players have often been seen as a negative quick-fix. I'm thinking mostly of Bing fans impressions. Mine has been a lot different and it started with Siggers who I thought was a terrific player and hard worker. It continued last year with Hastings who defends like he's been insulted and added toughness to a team that needed it. This year's crop of Juco players doesn't look to change my impression at all.

There's some more on the scrimmage on [url="http://therecordsports.blogspot.com/2008/10/purple-gold-scrimmage-recap.html" Andrew Santillo's blog [/url]

Also point totals:

Gold

Jimmie Covington 2

Brian Connelly 9

Will Harris 14

Anthony Raffa 14

Jerel Hastings 4

Scotty McRae 3

Purple

Brett Gifford 2

Michael Johnson 10

Tim Ambrose 8

Billy Allen 12

Louis Barraza 3

Jake Lindfors 2

What stands out to me is this.... that every time Coach Brown talks, he is mentioning the abundance of talent that this team possesses. After watching the scrimmage, and after the team finds its groove, they should become an excellent team for quite a few years.

Ambrose

Harris

Raffa

Connelly

Covington

And as DP said, looking for any reason to throw some others into the mix early.

I came in about half way through the scrimmage.

There was a dunk contest and drills.... how'd those look?

There was a dunk contest and drills.... how'd those look?

No offense to the other guys on the court but the dunk contest was really between Ambrose and Harris. It was fun and Harris made some hard stuff look pretty easy. Because of his size, Ambrose's dunks look pretty incredible. He actually missed a couple of early ones and the ball went flying to the other end of the court - even those looked good.

One rather juvenille observation was that I don't think I've seen an Albany team where every player, 1-12 in yesterday's case, plays above the rim.

I don't think we have great athleticism but I surely do think our athleticism is much upgraded.

Another interesting observation from reading the posts it seems like atleast 5 different players hit a Three ball. From what I've heard Aronhalt is one of our top perimeter shooters.

I don't think we have great athleticism but I surely do think our athleticism is much upgraded.

Another interesting observation from reading the posts it seems like atleast 5 different players hit a Three ball. From what I've heard Aronhalt is one of our top perimeter shooters.

I think it might be fair to say we have great athleticism - for the AE.

The five players I have down (with my unofficial scoring) as hitting threes were Billy Allen, Louis Barraza, Will Harris, Scotty McRae, and Anthony Raffa.

From the TU blog:

Assistants Pat Filien, who coached the Purple team, and Chad O’Donnell, who led the Gold, held a draft to pick sides.

“Just like the NBA,” said Brown, who couldn’t remember who the No. 1 pick was. “I was the moderator, but obviously, I wasn’t paying attention too much.”

I think Filien managed to draft the lineup that will start game 1 for UAlbany.

PG Raffa

SG Hastings

SF Harris

PF Connelly

C Covington

Hastings holds onto the spot, at least initially, based on his D. This is also a relatively big lineup for the AE - 6'0", 6'5", 6'6", 6'8", and 6'7".

One lineup that I'd be interested to see at some point that looked something like this.

Johnson - Raffa - Ambrose - Harris - McRae. This group could get up and down the floor very quickly and would create absolute nightmare matchups, especially with respect to the other teams' bigs. Without a true center, boards would be something to keep an eye on, but McRae and Harris both seem (based on limited viewing) able to hold their own in that regard, and Timmy is strong enough to help down as well.

Patch,

In your opinion...would it be fair to say that this team is more athletic then the last 3 or 4 teams? I started following the program in Jamar's junior year.

I pretty much agree with B. Zalman

bosiydid yes I think (just my opinion) this is the most athletic team we have had since going DI.

My question is I wonder if this team will be as dedicated to doing the little things as the teams in the past.

I read in this thread where Will Harris is not in shape yet and therefore not going or able to go 100% all the time. Yet coach compared him somewhat to a Brian Lillis, unless coach just meant his physical makeup. My menories is of a Brian Lillis banged up and injured (most of the time) never letting himself give less than 100%. Sometimes I feared for Brian while he was on the court because he played with such wreckless abandon. That's a trait that can't be coached.

With athleticism, solid PGs and shooters this team if it chooses could be very good by the AE Tourney or sooner. I hope they have that Blue Collar work ethic Dane teams of the past have had.

Patch, I was writing just about the same comments you did, but I was summoned outside to play with the kids.

Although the teams in the past, especially the teams winning the AE championships, weren't extremely athletic, they all maximized their skills and had a HUGE work ethic. They all gave 1000%.

The new guys should talk with Connelly and learn what it takes to get to the NCAAs in March. Anything short of a 1000% effort will come up short. Even with such a higher degree of athleticism they have now.

Team work, all out hustle, 1000% effort.... in practice and gametime. It was good to hear that Coach thought that the effort was impressive during the scrimmage. As they learn the system and learn eachother, they should improve quickly.

Bust serious azz boys in practice, because I want a WIN in front of the 14,000 people at the TU Center this December against siena.

I'm glad to see lots of things, but I'm really happy to see Billy looking very good, after the year he had to endure last year.

I like the options and the depth of this team very much.

Anyone know when TW3 comes out with a TV schedule for the Danes?

There are a couple on this board who are overly impressed with BILLY...and I think that is because of not knowing about his game because he had a injury year last year...and had, for his standards, a subpar SR. year.

I for one am not impressed-- I EXPECTED THIS! MY posts for the last three years (his recruiting years) are squarely behind that. And I say it that way because I think Billy is going to be a four-year player who is going to do special, special things for us. He has only scratched the surface with his practices right now.

Rember...this was HUGE coup for Coach and staff; Billy, if I remember correctly, was the 15th ranked player in Ohio and the #3 rated wing. He is a coach's kid...on a good team. Billy also, I would imagine, had a great influence in the Logan Aronholt decision to come here-- they have similar backgrounds.

We have really good things to look forward to with this team (this year and next) and with Raffa, Aronholt, Allen, and Lindors as four year players.

Archived