UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Gridiron Classic: UA vs. Jacksonville

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of pre-game stories from the Jacksonville papers.

One about their coach and their planned new stadium - Hiring Bell put JU on track

And another with some info on their team and ours - JU prepares for Gridiron Classic

"We know they have one of the best backs in the country," Bell said of Albany's David McCarty, who rushes for 144 yards per game. "They are a very big, physical team that runs downhill at you. They're going to try and pound it on you. It will be a strong test for us."

6,500-seat stadium including track and offices for $4.5 million? I know labor costs are cheaper in FL, but can't we come close without the track? Yeesh!

The cost of materials has dropped a ton in the last year.

Let's break this down:

If they go with fieldturf, which they likely will - it will cost $1 million for the field.

A proper 8 lane track will cost about $1 million.

That leaves 6,500 seats and offices for the cost of $2.5 million. Why doesn't University Field have new stands yet?

Anyone planning on tailgating for this game? I'm actually setting up camp for the first time this weekend. I'm a season ticket holder but I've never tailgated before a game. figure early December is a good time to start, right? Anyway, should be a fun day with both games going on. Can't wait!

Some quick updates - it looks like the broadcast is going to be very professionally done and is going to support juvenile diabetes.

Ed Delaney usually is identified as the younger brother of actress Kim Delaney. More recently has has been labeled the father of Eddie Delaney, born without a left hand but a contributor as a defensive end on the University at Albany football team.

What the elder Delaney should be known for are his tireless efforts not only to get UAlbany's Gridiron Classic football game against Jacksonville on Saturday televised, but his ability to turn the telecast into a fundraiser for juvenile diabetes, which afflicts his son.

Delaney, 47, vice president of operations for the YES Network, got the air time and production costs donated for the telecast from University Field. Commercial time will be given to corporate partners helping with the venture — which includes an elaborate postgame dinner for players of both teams and patrons — along with public service announcements on juvenile diabetes.

"I picked the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation for obvious reasons, my son being a diabetic," Delaney said, "and I just went to friends and said, 'I'm trying to put together this event for the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation, can you donate your services?' "

YES is givng the game free air time. Metrovision donated the satellite truck and uplink, SES Americom the satellite time and Game Creek Video a super slo-mo camera. Several participants, including UAlbany coach Bob Ford and defensive tackle Tom Pandolf, will wear microphones.

"We're covering this game like it's a pro game." Delaney said.

It's a pretty remarkable venture for something Delaney has had barely a week to assemble.

"The first offer letter went out on Thanksgiving morning," Delaney said. "It literally was an informal e-mail to my friends in the industry, done on a Blackberry from a Starbuck's on Thanksgiving morning. That's how it got started. We don't have a lot of time, so we're just doing the best we can. The bottom line is we will raise money. I don't know how much."

Delaney's son is a redshirt freshman who had been starting since Oct. 11 after Tony Sparano — son of the Miami Dolphins' head coach — broke his arm against Duquesne. Sparano returns to the starting lineup against Jacksonville.

That won't matter to the elder Delaney, who will be in his accustomed spot Saturday.

"I won't even be thinking about television, I can assure you," Delaney said. "I haven't missed a game all year. They've been traveling all over — Delaware, two times to Pittsburgh. I'm pretty intense. I feel like I'm playing in the game. That's how much I enjoy it."

Thanks to Delaney's efforts, a lot more people will be able to enjoy the game Saturday.

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story...category=SPORTS

UAlbany seniors face last hurrah

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story...category=SPORTS

Chuck Burton Preview:

1:30 PM Gridiron Classic: Jacksonville at Albany (TV: YES Network, internet streaming on CBS College Sports for free)

Going into this year, Albany head coach Bob Ford led all active FCS coaches with 225 career victories. Jacksonville head coach Kerwin Bell had exactly three.

This matchup between the champion of the Pioneer Football League (the Jacksonville Dolphins) and the champion of the Northeast Conference (the Albany Great Danes) features an upstart young coach matching wits with a wily old Coyote for conference supremacy.

Bell, only in his second year as a Division I head coach, was the architect of the best turnaround in FCS: taking his 3-8 squad in 2007 and in the span of one year made them the most successful in the ten year history of their football program: guiding them to a 9-3 record and their first-ever Pioneer Football League title.

Bell, known as a pass-happy quarterback in college in Florida and in the pros, predictably has made a versatile spread passing game his calling card, with freshman quarterback Josh McGregor (2,331 yards passing, 26 TDs) spreading the ball around to nine different receivers with double-digit receptions. What makes it all work, though, is the running of sophomore runningback Rudell Small (1,477 all-purpose yards, 15 TDs).

Bell’s newfangled spread passing game will be going against the Albany’s old-school approach: coach Bob Ford’s powerful running game and smothering defense. Safety Dave Casale (73 tackles, 6 interceptions) and linebacker Justin Brancaccio (83 tackles in 10 games) headline the “D", which didn’t give up more than 23 points in any league game this year.

On offense, the Danes boast their career rushing leader in runningback David McCarty (1,625 yards, 9 TDs) as the engine to their power offense. Quarterback Vinny Esposito is also a very good runner (158 yards rushing, 10 TDs) as well as passer (1,793 yards passing, 13 TDs).

What could be the deciding factor in this game is the venue - and the weather. While Bell’s record was no fluke, the Dolphins did have the luxury of playing their biggest games against the biggest opponents in sunny Florida. Jacksonville hasn’t played in big games in the past ten years on the road - and never in a situation with freezing temperatures. Add to this the fact that Albany’s game seems perfectly in line with the weather, and the signs point to a Danes victory.

Albany 35, Jacksonville 17

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com...p;tb=1&pb=1

TU preview...

TU - http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story...category=SPORTS

Troy Record - http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2008/12...1c200804908.txt

Another Troy Record article talking retrospecting on this past season (EXCELLENT READ) - http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2008/12...ad026578429.txt

Florida Times Union... http://www.jacksonville.com/sports/college...on_firm_footing

Archived