UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Saturday's Opponent

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Excluding the UAlbany game and tournament games, they averaged around 5500 at the tuc last year.

I haven't looked it up, but that sounds about right and with 1 out of 2 games this season it is not like they are drawing 7,000 to games on a consistent basis like ST claimed.

As to what they drawing the rest of the season, who knows. Another loss or 2 this week, I would expect we will hear another loud sound of even more Siena fans falling off the bandwagon like the thud last Friday.

most schools in this country fall far far short of 14k fans per game!! doesn't kansas and duke have capacity crowds well under 10k (older fieldhouse-type venues, of course)?? And Syracuse challenges for top attendance each year, no? Even the Univ. of Florida averaged about 14k two years ago. let's be honest---probably close to 250--300 schools at div. 1 do not get to play in front of 14k during regular season with this kind of post-season atmosphere!! this is a huge and very spirited and acceptale crowd for most BCS schools (high major)! this game should be on espn 2 or espn -- too bad it's not!! this is a premier rivalry game in the northeast!!! This really should be broadcast on an at least regional level. No? (from mobile phone)

There are different perspectives on this question.

Some people say no it shouldn't be televised. These people say it should become a sell out before you do televise it, because airing it on tv will take away some of the people who would attend, if it wasn't televised.

Other perspectives include that yes, it is a great idea to televise this game. Espn television coverage gives the game national exposure, including, national exposure to the schools as well.

The Albany Cup being a nationally televised event, creates even more of a stir locally. The coverage gives the game a more prestigeous feel. In turn, it would directly cause 1000s more to want to see the game in person.... leading to sell outs every year.

There are different perspectives on this question.

Some people say no it shouldn't be televised. These people say it should become a sell out before you do televise it, because airing it on tv will take away some of the people who would attend, if it wasn't televised.

Other perspectives include that yes, it is a great idea to televise this game. Espn television coverage gives the game national exposure, including, national exposure to the schools as well.

The Albany Cup being a nationally televised event, creates even more of a stir locally. The coverage gives the game a more prestigeous feel. In turn, it would directly cause 1000s more to want to see the game in person.... leading to sell outs every year.

I think it should, at the very least be televised regionally on a station which is picked up on DirecTV nationally, as in MSG or MSG+, YES, SNY, etc......

There are a lot of alumni of both schools in the NY, NJ, CT area that do not travel to the game but that would want to see it.

I forgot to mention that I favor televising the game.

The more exposure the better. The game is becoming a very hot ticket, and it wouldn't make a difference if it was televised or not. The people will fill the arena regardless.

Agreed, at the very least, MSG and YES, would be excellent networks to associate with....

I'd also love the idea of televising some of UAlbany's home games through these channels, if at all possible.

Yes, there are a ton of alumni in those areas.

I was impressed that UAlbany had many more fans @ the Columbia game in Manhattan than the home team.

That says something about UAlbany following in the City region.

I knew I had this somewhere - I think this is Siena attendance without the Albany game

2002-03 7,087

2003-04 6,259

2004-05 6,234 - boosted by 14,000 vs. Syracuse

2005-06 5,105

2006-07 5,146

2007-08 5,615

I looked at my file. Siena Tony claims that Siena typically draws 7,000 fans to a game. Besides the 1 out of 2 this season, my stats show 1 out of 13 regular season games last season and 1 out of 13 the season before excluding the Albany game. I would not call 2 out of 26 or 3 out of 28 typical. Even the 02 -03 when you have an average of 7,087, I don't know if 7,000 was a typical crowd or if the average is skewed by a couple of rival games besides Albany. I don't have that info on my file and I haven't gone back to look it up yet. But, by the numbers we can safely conclude that is has been at least 5 season since Siena Tony's claim has been true.

The breakdown I have over the last 2 regular seasons is 8 crowds between 4,000 and 5,000, 10 crowds between 5,000 and 6,000, 6 crowds between 6,000 and 7,000 and 2 crowds over 7,000.

I knew I had this somewhere - I think this is Siena attendance without the Albany game

2002-03 7,087

2003-04 6,259

2004-05 6,234 - boosted by 14,000 vs. Syracuse

2005-06 5,105

2006-07 5,146

2007-08 5,615

I looked at my file. Siena Tony claims that Siena typically draws 7,000 fans to a game. Besides the 1 out of 2 this season, my stats show 1 out of 13 regular season games last season and 1 out of 13 the season before excluding the Albany game. I would not call 2 out of 26 or 3 out of 28 typical. Even the 02 -03 when you have an average of 7,087, I don't know if 7,000 was a typical crowd or if the average is skewed by a couple of rival games besides Albany. I don't have that info on my file and I haven't gone back to look it up yet. But, by the numbers we can safely conclude that is has been at least 5 season since Siena Tony's claim has been true.

The breakdown I have over the last 2 regular seasons is 8 crowds between 4,000 and 5,000, 10 crowds between 5,000 and 6,000, 6 crowds between 6,000 and 7,000 and 2 crowds over 7,000.

Bob if you’re gonna quote me quote me correctly I said Siena was avg over 7k this year- as for you guys and your skewed counting.. Well if you don’t count the UA game or the MAAC tournament games ( all of which were over 7000) .. Or premier Non conference games Siena is avg this or that- you guys are reaching,. Here are some facts for you… Siena is avg over 7 K though 2 games. Siena avg 6,471 over 17 home dates last year. And why are you guys so focused on Siena’s attendance? Any way you slice it Siena has some of the best ( if not the best) attendance of any mid major on the east coast.

You guys focus on Siena’s outstanding attendance and ignore the facts of this game. Siena and UA kids are going to get to play in front of a huge crowd in a rivalry game- if there is a better attended rivalry game in all mid major land I don’t know about it.

Bob if you’re gonna quote me quote me correctly I said Siena was avg over 7k this year- as for you guys and your skewed counting.. Well if you don’t count the UA game or the MAAC tournament games ( all of which were over 7000) .. Or premier Non conference games Siena is avg this or that- you guys are reaching,. Here are some facts for you… Siena is avg over 7 K though 2 games. Siena avg 6,471 over 17 home dates last year. And why are you guys so focused on Siena’s attendance? Any way you slice it Siena has some of the best ( if not the best) attendance of any mid major on the east coast.

No, Tony, you said "you mean the 7,000 Siena normally gets". I just thought I'd use actual facts instead of talking out of my ass like some aints fans I could name.

I exclude the Albany game because in normal circumstances that would be either a neutral-site game or only every other year, and no matter how many Siena fans say that Albany doesn't bring anyone, it's obvious that at least half or more (maybe much more) of the increase is not your fans but Albany's.

You guys focus on Siena’s outstanding attendance and ignore the facts of this game. Siena and UA kids are going to get to play in front of a huge crowd in a rivalry game- if there is a better attended rivalry game in all mid major land I don’t know about it.

"Slight correction- you mean the 7,000 Siena normally gets' is what you said.....

Grossly misleading. Over 2 games, sure. Over the past several years, not even close. 5500-5600 is accurate. That's not so bad number where you need to skew the BOGANGLES out of it.

Why would you count a game in their attendance averages when WE (UAlbany) bring the extra 8k people into the arena? You shouldn't. Why would you count maac tournament games in their attendance averages when most of the attendees are from other colleges? You shouldn't. It drastically skews the numbers.

No ones ignoring any facts. Don't jump on the thread and start throwing out bogus numbers.

You do have one good point. It's a rivalry game for sure, it probably is one of the best attended rivalries around, and that's why it's pulling in huge numbers of fans from the capital district, students, and alumni.

No, Tony, you said "you mean the 7,000 Siena normally gets". I just thought I'd use actual facts instead of talking out of my ass like some aints fans I could name.

I exclude the Albany game because in normal circumstances that would be either a neutral-site game or only every other year, and no matter how many Siena fans say that Albany doesn't bring anyone, it's obvious that at least half or more (maybe much more) of the increase is not your fans but Albany's.

--8 K dream on... UA brings about 4K to the game..for Christ’s sake you got under 2000 in your last game... Why not just take Siena lowest attendance games and avg that. Siena's attendance THIS YEAR IS AVG OVER 7,000 Siena avg last year 6,471..Siena’s last 7 games at the TUC have drawn between 6,400 and 9,279. with 4 of those games well over 7000. Siena avg attendance is MORE than DOUBLE that of Albany’s average of about 3,000 fans a game… and hey 3000 fans a game is a good number. For big games and lets face it with all the hype this is a big game Siena gets a good number ( see almost 9.2K for last years MAAC championship) .. You also get probably a few thousand “casual” fans at this game that just go because the game is a “happening” to Claim UA gets 8K borders on the asinine – nothing to support that number at all other than the fact you apparently grabbed it out of your ass

If you guys think you're getting screwed on the game stop going. For those of you that purchased a ticket. Have fun and enjoy the game- I know I will

Archived