UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UA_MA,

A couple of points came to mind as I was reading your post.....

- I would start out in a zone against c-N-UH and have them shoot us out of it. I'd pack in the driving lanes to prevent some of their slashing and then make them (at least initially) hit the outside shot. They are shooting 27% from the outside that's even worse then our 29%. I would suspect they will try zone at times also as we have not shot well from the outside either.

- Rebounding is a key....If we can consistently hit the offensive glass we can prevent some of their breakouts, I expect UA to win the rebounding battle if we don't I don't see how we can win.

- We must shoot better then in the Bryant game....it's much harder to run off of a make then a miss.

- We must attack the rim and not settle for outside shots. I really feel that c-N-UH's bench is extremely weak.....they are relying heavily on freshmen right now. If we can get either Franklin or Edwin in trouble it would be a huge boost for us. We must attack instead of passing it around the perimeter and settling for the outside shot.

Edited by bosiydid
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- We must shoot better then in the Bryant game....

Salient observation, Bosy

Seems like more civility in the posts this year than in past years, less of the vitriol that has made this rivalry so enjoyable. I might be alone in this sentiment, but I find it pretty disappointing.

In all the good analysis and everyone's breakdown of the game, the home court advantage has received little or no mention. How many points is that worth? I for one, think its had something to do with UA losing within 5 points these past few years.

- We must shoot better then in the Bryant game....

Salient observation, Bosy

Seems like more civility in the posts this year than in past years, less of the vitriol that has made this rivalry so enjoyable. I might be alone in this sentiment, but I find it pretty disappointing.

In all the good analysis and everyone's breakdown of the game, the home court advantage has received little or no mention. How many points is that worth? I for one, think its had something to do with UA losing within 5 points these past few years.

I'm not one to make excuses but I'm gonna break my own rule and complain here......... an L is an L is an L but in Jamar's junior year with the game tied and game clock running out....Jamar was knocked to the ground as time expired taking the shot and c-N-UH in the penalty and no foul was called. The non call was evident to everyone in the building as Jamar fell to the ground faster then a fat man who sat down to fast....... I've never really complained about it but the end to that regulation period has been with me ever since. It was about as bull-shet a non-call as there ever was. Of course we went into overtime and lost the game.

More so then any other game (I don't have any gripes about the other games), that game was decided by MAAC officials. If I'm not mistaken, c-N-UH as the home teams always get's their officials.

People mention Siena's lack of depth as compared to last year.

Last season at the 5 Siena had Duell and Rossiter. Rossiter was physically not prepared to spend 30 minutes ont he floor. That has changed. Duell is at this point capable of 4-8 mins perhaps. Harris has also shown he can provide 5-10 mins as needed. A healthy duell would be nice but at this point Rossiter has proven he is much improved since last season and i would say they should be deeper when either magee or duell are fully back

at the 4 Siena had Franklin, Magee and Priestly. Franklin is obviously Franklin. Magee has a concussion and Priestly has improved over last season but still isnt ready for 20+ mins against top competition. He should be able to provide minutes at the 4. They do use Wignot at the 4 in spot minutes when they go small. Deeper than last year

at the 3 is Ubiles, Wignot and Jackson... deeper than last year

at the 2 is Hasbrouck, Jackson, Downey deeper than last year

at the 1 is Moore, and spelled by a combination of Hasbrouck, Ubiles, Downey no true point backup but overall I would say the same if not deeper considering the overall roster.

Siena played against what will probably be a top 10-15 team in Tennessee, an MVC team that even though picked 9th will probably finish top 4 in their conference, and an Oklahoma State team that is very athletic and solid that should perform above expectations. Siena has played 6 games and 5 of those teams have some hope of making the NCAA tournament or at least some form of post season play. Loyola being the only opponent that definitely wont make the post season. Fran leaned heavily on his starters and this was probably not his best coaching decision as Wignot and Downey in particular proved capable in the first two games of the season. The entire team made mistakes in FL and are beat from the 9 day, 4 games in 7 days road trip.

It is going to be very interesting to see how much they bounce back after a couple of nights at home and only one day of rest. I would have preferred at least a 2 day rest period and then a day or two of prep.

I should add that i believe Fran relied on the starters as Duell and Magee are probably going to be the veteran leaders for the bench and both are injured.

SaintsFan,

I've watched a number of your game and listened to some others so I know your roster. Your starting five are exceptional, yes even Rossiter has looked very very good and he is much improved from last year. But comeon man, you do not have a deep bench, why do you think your starters are playing the crazy minutes that they are. Wignot is a freshmen as is Downy.....Downy is a kid I really like he seems to understand the game, doesn't force things and give you very good effort. I keep waiting for Jackson to show up....at this point he can be categorized as a BUST. 5pts....1rb in about 13 minutes a game....shooting 40% from the field, 22% from the line and 25% from the outside. As much as you guys crowed about him when he signed he has not shown anything....hopefully that continues at least one more game. I've seen him a couple of times, he seems fluid and athletic but he just has not developed. If you remember Raffa and CJ came out of the same state and there were allot of comparisons being drawn between the two, some c-N-UH fans used to shet on the comparison telling us how CJ is a much superior player to Raffa....as a true freshmen, Raffa is giving us 11.7ppg, 3.7rpg, shooting 44% from the field 43% from the outside and 86% from the line. At this point he is simply running circles around Jackson as a true freshmen with 7 games under his belt. Yes, with Raffa we get some ups and some down as to be expected from a freshmen....you've gotten all downs from Jackson.

You are also extremely thin in the front court.....Duell is fatter then I've ever seen him if he give you anything on Saturday you'll be lucky as he is averaging 6 minutes a game and is injured as are some of your other bigs. On Saturday you will be heavily reliant on your starting 5. If any of them should get into foul trouble, you could be in allot of trouble. Having said that, if your starters can all go for 30-34 minutes you will be fine....that's what I would be hoping for if I was a c-N-UH fan. A tightly called game could spell trouble for c-N-UH, it helps though that you have MAAC officials doing this game... :blush:

I think the lack of depth is a serious concern going into this game as you are just coming off of a long trip with little prep time for this game.

in the 'down' games, shall we call them... of Boise State (who is now 5-1), Cornell (playing an insanely tough schedule) both wignot and downey played very well. It isnt the players fault that its the coaches policy to not play freshmen much on the road. I have no idea why fran adheres to this so vehemently but he does. Prior to the long road trip Downey was averaging double figures (11.5) and providing quality backup minutes at the 1 and 2. Wignot was rebounding nicely and scoring when called upon... he didnt get a ton of minutes in the Cornell game because he was playing the 3... against a player some say will go to the NBA in Wittman. Fran left Edwin on him defensively for nearly the entire game. Another coaching decision.

are there questions about Siena's depth ... sure. But i think overall the team is deeper than last year. Especially when playing midmajor or lower competition.

The non call was evident to everyone in the building as Jamar fell to the ground faster then a fat man who sat down to fast.......

There you go, now you're getting into the spirit a little better.

what about "faster than a Duell who sat down to fast"

I'm in a mood today to slap 'aintsFan around!

By the way...did you see his breakdown on the c-N-UH board. He could have saved himself the key strokes and just posted....ADVANTAGE c-N-UH EVERYWHERE!

Edited by bosiydid
are there questions about Siena's depth ... sure. But i think overall the team is deeper than last year. Especially when playing midmajor or lower competition.

Really, you have nothing at backup PG, just a bunch of fillins. You lost your best 3pt shooter and don't have a replacement and you have no depth down low. Duell can't even give you what he gave you last year.

I'm in a mood today to slap 'aintsFan around!

Good for you. You made an excellent point about the non-call on Jamar and the referee bias.

St. Indian fans aren't going to address that. They want to win, no matter what unfair advantage they have, and get 10,000 seats re-bagged before church on Sunday morning.

ummm...

here are the officials for the last three seasons (didnt feel like going back further) ...

Jeffrey Smith

Gary Pucino

Jeffrey Anderson

Gene Steratore

Jeff Anderson

Jeff Plunkett

Gary Tracy

Mike Alvaro

Rich Giallella

as an FYI ALL of them did AE games CONFERENCE games All of them did games... IN SEFCU Arena

I dont get into the whole "My daddy's stronger than your daddy" crap... because IM stronger than your daddy

Edited by SaintsFan
Jeffrey Smith

Gary Pucino

Jeffrey Anderson

Gene Steratore

Jeff Anderson

Jeff Plunkett

Gary Tracy

Mike Alvaro

Rich Giallella

Is Jeffrey Anderson the same guy as Jeff Anderson?

bald black dude... and YES hes done MAAC games as well. What you chuckleheads dont know is that many of the same officials do MAAC and AE games. They know both conferences well... so now perhaps all of the officials have it in for SUNY in the Siena games??

we actually dont like Anderson btw. He has a habbit of making calls when hes the furthest official from the action.

and my preview of the game as posted on the Siena site... I dont feel I said anything insulting or incorrect... but hey ya never know..

-----------

A little pre-game discussion regarding the matchup for the weekend.

Obviously the series has proven "all bets are off" with exception to final outcomes. For some reason the game tends to be close despite differences in talent levels. So here is my breakdown of matchups and keys to the game.

Starters:

Siena

PG: JR 6' 160 Ronald Moore

SG: SR 6'3" 194 Kenny Hasbrouck (Prep)

SF: JR 6'6" 199 Edwin Ubiles (Prep)

PF: JR 6'5" 225 Alex Franklin

C: SO 6'8.5" 227 Ryan Rossiter

SUNY Albany

PG: FR 6' 175 Anthony Raffa (Prep)

SG: SO 6' 220 Tim Ambrose (Prep, sat a year)

SF: SR 6'8" 225 Brian Connelly

PF: JR 6'6" 240 Will Harris (Prep, Transfer)

C: JR 6'11" 260 Brett Gifford

PG: Moore, Hasbrouck, Downey vs Raffa, Johnson

Obviously with Moore and Hasrbouck you get ball control and veteran leadership. Moore has proven hes capable of playing with just about any point guard out there. Thus his inclusion as a Cousy finalist. Raffa and Johnson have shown signs of solid play as well as turning the ball over. - Advantage Siena

SG: Hasbrouck, Jackson, Downey vs Ambrose and a combination of Barraza, Johnson etc. Hasbrouck is the pre-season MAAC POY. Ambrose as shown signs of getting up for big games. Hasbrouck is a SR and solid defender. Jackson is learning to play under control and Downey has proven to be a solid get and contributor right out of the gate. - Advantage Siena

SF: Ubiles, Wignot, Jackson vs Connelly and a combination of Allen, Hastings, McRae, Harris etc. Ubiles is a freak athlete for the midmajor level. This is without a doubt the toughest matchup for teams at SUNYs level. Wignot was recruited and offered by Temple and Penn State. He has high major athleticism. Connelly is a SR and plays a solid game. I see SUNY trying a variety of defenders on different Siena players... especially Ubiles to find the best possible fit. - Advantage Siena

PF: Franklin, Wignot, Priestly (and hopefully Magee) vs Harris and a combination of bench players. Franklin has been a beast at all levels of play. When he left the game against Tennessee that game rapidly went down hill. Harris is a transfer from ACC Virginia. Harris obviously has the athletic ability to play at any level. This is a tough matchup for Harris and co. it should be one of the more entertaining matchups on the day. - Advantage Siena

C: Rossiter, Duell and perhaps Magee/Harris vs Gifford and then UA going smaller when Gifford hitting the bench. Rossiter is rapidly emerging as a force inside. He played well in his first two games at home and many werent sure what to think/expect. His double double against Tennessee began to open some eyes. I see Rossiter getting Gifford in foul trouble pretty quickly should Siena decide to go to him early. - Advantage Siena

If SUNY manages to get Rossiter or Franklin in foul trouble the 4 or 5 positions fall into UAs advantage or at worst a push. Its going to be interesting to see just how much Siena presses.

What Siena cant do: Allow SUNY to move the ball easily both against the press and in the half court O. Siena CANT settle for 15-18ft jumpers (ie long twos). This negates the athletic advantage Siena has. I dont mind them taking open 3s but if they arent falling and its a close game... take it to the rim and get to the FT line. In the half court i would extend the D and make SUNY run their O 25ft out.

What SUNY cant do: They cant let Siena turn them over with regularity. If they do this will rapidly turn into a blowout. SUNY cant let Siena set their press often. SUNY cant let Siena outrebound them. This is another key.. if Siena outrebounds UA, look for a blowout. SUNY must force Siena into taking perimeter shots and then hit the boards.

SUNY has disadvantages at all 5 positions to varrying degrees. I think even SUNY fans will agree. What SUNY needs to do is play AS A TEAM and force Siena into 1 on 1 selfishness. Off the ball defense for SUNY will be key. SUNY must rebound as a TEAM with everyone hitting the glass. If SUNY can force Siena to the perimeter and outrebound the Saints... this will be their best bet.

Jeffrey Smith

Gary Pucino

Jeffrey Anderson

Gene Steratore

Jeff Anderson

Jeff Plunkett

Gary Tracy

Mike Alvaro

Rich Giallella

Is Jeffrey Anderson the same guy as Jeff Anderson?

bald black dude... and YES hes done MAAC games as well. What you chuckleheads dont know is that many of the same officials do MAAC and AE games. They know both conferences well... so now perhaps all of the officials have it in for SUNY in the Siena games??

we actually dont like Anderson btw. He has a habbit of making calls when hes the furthest official from the action.

Before you take my comment an run with it, I want to reinforce the point that I have a problem with ONE call in particular where the official missed a blatant call. I'm not saying these guys are fixing games in favor of c-N-UH. Please keep my comment in context, let's be fair.