UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Albany @ c-N-UH

ummm Siena finished 56th last year ... UA finished 206. That is a HUGE difference if you want to claim that there wasnt a huge talent difference ...

And yet it was a four-point game. If Albany knows you well, so does Siena know us. How does that huge talent difference not show itself year after year? Siena's free throw defense got them into overtime twice?

56-206 is a difference in ranking, which include scheduling, but it was last year.

The same applies to leagues. If there were such a huge difference between them, they wouldn't change places every year. It's like last year the MAAC was the #2 spear carrier and AE #10, but the generals can't tell the difference.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how many times in the last 10 years has the AE been ranked ahead of the MAAC. Answer... twice. If we flip flopped all the time the MAAC wouldnt be ranked ahead of the AE 80% or > of the time. If the top 5 of the maac and the top 5 of the AE faced off each season... i would venture to guess the MAAC win% would look very similar. We cant kick St Peters, Canisius etc out of the conference... heck the League commish is a St Peters grad. The bottom of the AE is stronger than the bottom of the MAAC. I will agree to that... its the top of the conferences that is definitely different

if you win ten games against an opponent and each game is close... would you not agree that there is a distinct advantage for one team and not the other? Right now its 1 win for UA... ill buy some of what youre selling when UA wins a game against a team not coached by Lanier who dragged the program to its lowest point in history.

SUNY has disadvantages at all 5 positions to varrying degrees. I think even SUNY fans will agree. What SUNY needs to do is play AS A TEAM and force Siena into 1 on 1 selfishness. Off the ball defense for SUNY will be key. SUNY must rebound as a TEAM with everyone hitting the glass. If SUNY can force Siena to the perimeter and outrebound the Saints... this will be their best bet."

I'm not so sure I agree with the analysis above provided by one of the Siena fans as to the purported advantage that they have at all 5 positions. I don't think the Siena fans even have which of our players play what positions entirely correct.

K.H. for Siena is the best guard out there. I have no problem with that claim. Backcourt advantage goes to Siena. But don't sleep on Raffa, Johnson, Ambrose, and Hastings. This is a profoundly different backcourt than what LCC saw last year. Night and day as far as I'm concerned. Moreover, and as far as physical attributes go for Ambrose, I think most mid-major fans are going to have a hard time convincing me or other UA fans that their team's guard(s) own any kind of measurable physical advantage over Ambrose, save height.

Defensively, a backcourt defensive combo of Hastings and Johnson has got to at least put a speed bump into whatever K.H's plans might be on a given set/play! Johnson will be a big factor for us this game. He defense and ball handling, along with Raffa, Ambrose, Hastings, and Barraza will be huge for us.

I have no problem with the claim that Ubiles has athleticism of a high major prospect. The caveat to that claim that I feel compelled to make is that Will Harris is also a high major prospect, but, in contrast (and to take it one step further), actually was/is a high major player. Harris matches up with Ubiles just fine in my view. Ubiles "might" be quicker/faster, but I really can't say, since I haven't seen Ubilies play in quite some time.

As to the rest of the front court, advantage Albany. Period. I think we'll see Brian C. in the 5 spot often in this game ... .

My starting 5:

5 Brian C.

4 Will Harris

3 Jerel Hastings

2 Tim Ambrose

1 Anthony Raffa

*With Gifford/McRae/Covington being the first ones off the bench to help out at the 4 and 5.

*And with Johnson coming in, perhaps ahead of anyone else, to provide assistance handling the ball and playing lock-down defense! Barraza and Johnson will come in for the 1 and 2 spots.

* Harris should be ready to play 30+ minutes in this one. We need him to bring it like we know he can. He will be the difference in this game!

SUNY has disadvantages at all 5 positions to varrying degrees. I think even SUNY fans will agree. What SUNY needs to do is play AS A TEAM and force Siena into 1 on 1 selfishness. Off the ball defense for SUNY will be key. SUNY must rebound as a TEAM with everyone hitting the glass. If SUNY can force Siena to the perimeter and outrebound the Saints... this will be their best bet."

I'm not so sure I agree with the analysis above provided by one of the Siena fans as to the purported advantage that they have at all 5 positions. I don't think the Siena fans even have which of our players play what positions entirely correct.

K.H. for Siena is the best guard out there. I have no problem with that claim. Backcourt advantage goes to Siena. But don't sleep on Raffa, Johnson, Ambrose, and Hastings. This is a profoundly different backcourt than what LCC saw last year. Night and day as far as I'm concerned. Moreover, and as far as physical attributes go for Ambrose, I think most mid-major fans are going to have a hard time convincing me or other UA fans that their team's guard(s) own any kind of measurable physical advantage over Ambrose, save height.

Defensively, a backcourt defensive combo of Hastings and Johnson has got to at least put a speed bump into whatever K.H's plans might be on a given set/play! Johnson will be a big factor for us this game. He defense and ball handling, along with Raffa, Ambrose, Hastings, and Barraza will be huge for us.

I have no problem with the claim that Ubiles has athleticism of a high major prospect. The caveat to that claim that I feel compelled to make is that Will Harris is also a high major prospect, but, in contrast (and to take it one step further), actually was/is a high major player. Harris matches up with Ubiles just fine in my view. Ubiles "might" be quicker/faster, but I really can't say, since I haven't seen Ubilies play in quite some time.

As to the rest of the front court, advantage Albany. Period. I think we'll see Brian C. in the 5 spot often in this game ... .

My starting 5:

5 Brian C.

4 Will Harris

3 Jerel Hastings

2 Tim Ambrose

1 Anthony Raffa

*With Gifford/McRae/Covington being the first ones off the bench to help out at the 4 and 5.

*And with Johnson coming in, perhaps ahead of anyone else, to provide assistance handling the ball and playing lock-down defense! Barraza and Johnson will come in for the 1 and 2 spots.

* Harris should be ready to play 30+ minutes in this one. We need him to bring it like we know he can. He will be the difference in this game!

So i still havent seen where UA has an advantage heading into the game? If you want to claim bench i might give you that but as for the starting five... i stand by my comments. Siena has an advantage to varrying extents at each of the 5 positions. If you dont think so... explain.

how many times in the last 10 years has the AE been ranked ahead of the MAAC. Answer... twice.

Of course the answer would be the same if you asked 'in the last five years'. And so far this year would make three in six. Quit living in the past.

Bottom feeders count in conference rankings in both leagues.

I still want to know who besides MAAC fans see this year-in year-out superiority.

how many times in the last 10 years has the AE been ranked ahead of the MAAC. Answer... twice.

Of course the answer would be the same if you asked 'in the last five years'. And so far this year would make three in six. Quit living in the past.

I still want to know who besides MAAC fans see this year-in year-out superiority.

See...that's what SaintsFan does when he builds his house of mud. Take this away, add that, minus this and wallaaa MAAC is much better.

While he doesn't hesitate to point out that Siena was run into the ground by Lanier or that the MAAC has a bunch of new coaches, this is what he'll never tell you.

- The AE has as many if not more new coaches

- The AE had to replace a number of PROGRAMS that defected to the CAA and filled those spots with 3 brand new D1 teams of which only UA has really made any progress, the other two have all the resources, better facilities but haven't not cranked it up just yet. When they finally figure out what to do with what they have the AE will blow by the MAAC. UVM, BUMA and UA are the class of the league. Most other schools have the resources and just need to learn what to do with them.

- What you are seeing now is an emergence of a new AE. Top tier programs are here to stay, (UVM, BUMA and UA) middle of the pack (UMBC, Bing and Hartford) are on the upswing overall...I'd think all would agree Hartford is much better off today then a few years ago as is UMBC. The bottom is showing life....Brook might get out of the 300's this year and really has a ton of potential with the money and facilities.

I look forward to the coming years.....that peep squeak you hear out SaintsFan will get quieter and quieter ever year.

[so i still havent seen where UA has an advantage heading into the game? If you want to claim bench i might give you that but as for the starting five... i stand by my comments. Siena has an advantage to varrying extents at each of the 5 positions. If you dont think so... explain.

I'll agree with you Saints Fan. Siena has a big advantage in talent and experience. Hasbrouck and the three juniors have played over 100 games as a unit. Siena will be playing on their home court.

So I'm sure you will agree with me that a UA win would be a shocking upset, and that all the pressure and expectations are on Siena.

I'll agree with you Saints Fan. Siena has a big advantage in talent and experience. Hasbrouck and the three juniors have played over 100 games as a unit. Siena will be playing on their home court.

So I'm sure you will agree with me that a UA win would be a shocking upset, and that all the pressure and expectations are on Siena.

I think most people wold agree with that assesment....the pressure is on c-N-UH. UA is not expected to win this game. c-N-uh has the experience and the talent, if they don't show up it will be shocking.

I think this is the same Saintsfan who claims to know so much about basketball and its history Obviously not. Towards the beginning of his 10 year period, the AE lost teams to a higher league. This provided an opportunity for 3 brand new teams to move into a d1 league. I will take his word for it, that the AE was not as strong as the established maac in that first 5 years. Congrats and Shocking! Anyone with basketball knowledge would know it takes time to build a d1 team.

Anyway, after a while these new d1 teams become competitive d1 teams to various degrees. Plus improvement by Vermont in the last 6 or 7 years over their previous level and improvement by Hartford, UMBC in the last couple of years and viola the league is on par with the maac over the last 6 years including this year. I mean it is the maac, it is not like we reached the level of the top mid majors, so far just the level of a average to below average mid major. But, I certainly have no complaints for the progress UA has made.

Saintsfans does not like to compare the whole league, but likes to pick and choose whichever part makes the maac appear stronger. That is fine for him, but I will look at the other side of that coin. If a league is so strong, why is it that the bottom of a well established league like the maac is so admitted worse than the bottom of a league that includes relatively new division 1 teams.

Lastly, I think the main reason these Siena fans can't admit the leagues are level is that Siena left the AE or whatever it was know as back then for the maac about 20 years ago and to admit the leagues are comparable would seem to be admitting Siena made a lateral move as opposed to Hofstra, etc who moved up when they left.

$iena did bring their A game down to Florida, and three loses is what their A game got them.

The Aints should’ve been blown out by 35+ by Tennessee… Tennessee thought their F game was going to beat $iena in the 2nd half, used their F game... so they didn't build on their lead.

Just in case, Aints fans better start thinking up their list of excuses they're going to use if UAlbany wins Saturday... I can just imagine how long the excuse list would be, and how much moaning and whining there would be. As Bob87 says, there would be a HUGE thud of former Aints fans hitting the ground after jumping off the Aints bandwagon.

I do agree with one of the Aints fans on their board, when he says that UAlbany has a much better athletic department. UAlbany's AD isn't only far better, it's DOMINANT over siena.

It's not UAlbany's fault that $iena is realistically a one sport school. $iena is hanging from a thread now, relying on their basketball program.

Like I said, the A game $iena brought to florida showed their true abilities. They maximized their abilities down there, played their hearts out, and just tripped and fumbled all over their girdles. They have talented. But, they've got to get out of their head the idea of a top 25 this or a top 25 that. Not even a top 50 this or top 50 that.

Although UAlbany has had several teams in the top25, top15, top5, top2 in the nation in other sports over the past few years, we haven't reached that point in basketball yet. But, the UAlbany freight train is coming for $iena's basketball program as well. Get ready to be steam rolled soon.

This year, it's going to be another close game, because the talent on both teams is quite similar.

And all of this talk from the Loudonville Community College haystackers is:

UAlbany's new guys are going to get nervous in front of a big crowd at the Pepsi Arena...

What I think is that UAlbany's new guys are going to smash this right down their throats, breaking the teeth of these top50 wannabees, and have the personalities to do it, and to do it right.

I love our (UA Fans) diligence!!!!!!

Why do you even pay attention to the spinmasters of $iena????

Half of there big wins come when teams are depleted - see Stanford last year as well as Rider in the Championship game.

They talk about avenging last years loss to Cornell of course Cornell came in without their best returning player.

I give them all the credit in the world for having a great game against Vanderbilt but they turned around and got dumped by Villanova.

They can spin things anyway they want, they have a heavy advantage over us head to head but all those games were at their home court and in the past 3 seasons 2 OT games (1 double OT) and a 4 pointer. They're tough at the TUC it's their homecourt. It's probably worth 4-5 points atleast.

Take the whole body of work in the past 3 seasons UA has had a better RPI then $iena twice, and currently Siena is trailing UA this season, although I think $iena will finish with a better RPI then UA.

But who cares it's $iena and it's early in the season - at their homecourt - and we still get crappy seats.

UA needs to be ready for the AE Tourney, know that's important.

If Siena wins 25 games and gets dumped by Niagara their's will be a truly disappointing season for a self professed TOP 25 team.

Archived