UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2009 NY State Budget - Football Stadium

GreatDanes06

Any chance these 2008 appropriations can be changed this year? It just seems so unfair that SBU is getting money to expand their NEW stadium when UA has a field that most high schools would be embarrased to play on.

Sen LaValle will no longer be the chairman, right? Albany is historically a Democratic district. The new majority should support the state capitol's SUNY Center.

No they (2008 approps) won't be changed. I am pretty sure what is unfair is people loosing their jobs, not being able to feed their children and so on.. not that UA hasn't gotten a better field yet. Take everything into perspective.

As long as the Dems do control the Senate then LaValle won't be the chairman. But I spoke with someone today who works for a Sen dem and they said it is honestly up in the air still... they elect the Majority Leader on Jan 7th or 9th I can't remember.

No one is comparing people's livlihood to funding the stadium. He's comparing funding SBU's expansion to our new stadium. He is taking everything in perspective.

If it were the case that its stadium funding or children eating, then you can bet your butt SBU's stadium expansion money would be revoked quicker than I can type this. Same goes for their arena renovation, etc......

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any chance these 2008 appropriations can be changed this year? It just seems so unfair that SBU is getting money to expand their NEW stadium when UA has a field that most high schools would be embarrased to play on.

Sen LaValle will no longer be the chairman, right? Albany is historically a Democratic district. The new majority should support the state capitol's SUNY Center.

Yes, Sen. LaValle is out as chairman of higher education, now that the "Downstate Dems" own the NYS Legislature. God help us all.

Allowing the SUNY schools to charge different rates for tuition (and have autonomy over tuition rates) is long overdue. SUNY schools are not equal, and neither should the tuition be equal.

It is absurd to force the 4 major University Centers to have to impose the same tuition as, let's say, SUNY "stOneonta" or Oswego. Or Potsdam. Or Fredonia. Etc., etc.

UAlbany is a major research university (as is SB, Buffao, and to some extent Bingo). These four schools also have Division I sports and Division I expenses. We should be charging more in tuition, as there is more of a demand by students to attend these schools (as there should be, given their superiority, at least insofar as nationwide reputation and graduate programs).

Allowing different tuition rates set by each school would be great, I think.

No they (2008 approps) won't be changed. I am pretty sure what is unfair is people loosing their jobs, not being able to feed their children and so on.. not that UA hasn't gotten a better field yet. Take everything into perspective.

As long as the Dems do control the Senate then LaValle won't be the chairman. But I spoke with someone today who works for a Sen dem and they said it is honestly up in the air still... they elect the Majority Leader on Jan 7th or 9th I can't remember.

No one is comparing people's livlihood to funding the stadium. He's comparing funding SBU's expansion to our new stadium. He is taking everything in perspective.

If it were the case that its stadium funding or children eating, then you can bet your butt SBU's stadium expansion money would be revoked quicker than I can type this. Same goes for their arena renovation, etc......

Thank you Danefan.

Let's not be irrational people. No matter how bad the economy gets, there will still be funding for SUNY construction. Part of that funding is going to athletics. I'm just saying UA should be treated fairly. I always hear UA fans willing to jump on the proverbial sword. Why should it be UA to offer up sacrifices? Do you think UB and SBU are saying "Gosh, we don't want any funding"? You can bet UB is fighting for their UB2020 plan, yet we don’t want a dime? I wonder why we’re not a “flagship”?

Feed the hungry. BUT if New York is going to fund SUNY then UA should be treated equitably. If we’re going to spend millions of dollars on athletics, is it not only fair that you do something for the only SUNY Center playing on a high school field prior to expanding on a brand new structure? Doesn’t that sound equitable?

UAlbany is 100 years older than Stony Brook yet they have a medical school and are working toward a law school. UAlbany has no real professional schools. Add to that, Stony Brook has a new football stadium. In 50 years of existence, Stony Brook past UAlbany like we weren’t even moving. Why? Because we weren’t moving. Other than Fallon Field, UA’s athletic facilities look as they did in 1993. No changes.

Giving up and not fighting is why we are where we are.

ATL_DANE,

It appears I may have misunderstood your original point....now that I understand where you are coming from, I agree with you. If we are to require a sacrifice from SUNY it should be all SUNY campuses not just UA giving up on their dream to have a semi functioning facility. The funding SB is getting to refurbish basically new facilities is EGREGIOUS.

I didn't mean to imply that BU should get the 2020 funding and that SB should renovate their new facilities but but that we should throw in the towel on requesting state funding. We should be treated equally.

Current Appropriations

$33,927,000 for Campus-wide projects, including "Renovate Health Center" (could there be funding included in there?)

$33,755,000 for Campus-wide critical maintenance projects such as Relocation of the Data Center.

I believe the $33,755,000 for Campus-wide critical maintenance projects such as Relocation of the Data Center is a Reappropriation from last year (page 467 of the legislation).

There are a few other reappropriations if you use the search function and look from pages 460-506

http://publications.budget.state.ny.us/eBu...pbills/ELFA.pdf

So it looks like the only new 09-10 UA capital project is the "campus wide projects and Renovate Health Center" project...I think ....

------------

In regards to Athletics, here is what I found under NEW 09-10 Capital Projects that have to do with athletics:

Corning Community College

Athletic Center - Field House

Total State + Total Local: 10,274 ,000

Estimated 50% Share State & Local Share: 5,137,000

CUNY Senior Colleges

For university-wide critical maintenance or

capital improvement costs at senior

colleges attributable to athletic

facilities upgrade needs ................. 2,000,000

So..so far it looks like they didn't appropriate really much at all to anything athletics related in the budget. Now under Capital Projects 09-10 all the schools say "campus wide projects" so there could be misc. smaller athletic projects they get spent on.

As for UA as danfan posted it is $33,927,000 for Campus-wide projects, including "Renovate Health Center"..how much is specifically for the renovation of the health center is unknown right now I guess..The rest of the money I am sure is attached to certain projects the school has already chosen.

I believe the agencies have to gather all the small projects you want to do, and give the Gov your total number.. my guess is the health center is probably the largest out of their list, so that is why it was highlighted in the bill language.

Has anyone been listening - the news is full of comments regarding the slew of tax and fee changes proposed by Patterson.

Public schools are in shock with the probability of cuts if Aid. Layoffs all over the place are still probable.

This is getting depression like and some of us are worried about a stadium????

Has anyone been listening - the news is full of comments regarding the slew of tax and fee changes proposed by Patterson.

Public schools are in shock with the probability of cuts if Aid. Layoffs all over the place are still probable.

This is getting depression like and some of us are worried about a stadium????

See, you aren't listening or reading either.

If they are going to make cuts to SUNY they need to cut across the board. Which includes pulling back the funding for unnecessary capital improvements made to all SUNY campuses.

And "this is getting depression like" is based on what facts? News reports? The "woe is me" media and government in NY is hurting the state more than actually trying to fix the spending problems, of which SUNY is not one. SUNY is underfunded if anything. Patterson should increase SUNY funding and use it as an economic catalyst if he really wanted to fix the problems. Instead he's worried about setting himself up as the guy who had to make the "tough choices" for his 2010 campaign.

Current Appropriations

$33,927,000 for Campus-wide projects, including "Renovate Health Center" (could there be funding included in there?)

$33,755,000 for Campus-wide critical maintenance projects such as Relocation of the Data Center.

I believe the $33,755,000 for Campus-wide critical maintenance projects such as Relocation of the Data Center is a Reappropriation from last year (page 467 of the legislation).

There are a few other reappropriations if you use the search function and look from pages 460-506

http://publications.budget.state.ny.us/eBu...pbills/ELFA.pdf

So it looks like the only new 09-10 UA capital project is the "campus wide projects and Renovate Health Center" project...I think ....

------------

In regards to Athletics, here is what I found under NEW 09-10 Capital Projects that have to do with athletics:

Corning Community College

Athletic Center - Field House

Total State + Total Local: 10,274 ,000

Estimated 50% Share State & Local Share: 5,137,000

CUNY Senior Colleges

For university-wide critical maintenance or

capital improvement costs at senior

colleges attributable to athletic

facilities upgrade needs ................. 2,000,000

So..so far it looks like they didn't appropriate really much at all to anything athletics related in the budget. Now under Capital Projects 09-10 all the schools say "campus wide projects" so there could be misc. smaller athletic projects they get spent on.

As for UA as danfan posted it is $33,927,000 for Campus-wide projects, including "Renovate Health Center"..how much is specifically for the renovation of the health center is unknown right now I guess..The rest of the money I am sure is attached to certain projects the school has already chosen.

I believe the agencies have to gather all the small projects you want to do, and give the Gov your total number.. my guess is the health center is probably the largest out of their list, so that is why it was highlighted in the bill language.

That's what I was thinking as well. I wouldn't mind seeing $10-15 million of that to renovate University Field. What I had referenced yesterday was something very similar to this - getting less funding run through discretely. Less political amunition and chatter for the TU to latch onto.

I know that we are not going to get the funding we need for a new stadium and in these economic times I can live with that. What I can not live with is not knowing what direction UA is headed in regard to football. The NEC, even with the autobid in 2 years, is a weak conference and will never be a FCS championship caliber conference. We need to chart a path to the future. I really don't think that the CAA is going to invite us when the new schools join in a year so where are we headed? If the AD would just state a goal of where we want to be in 5-10 years I think we could gain some public support and drum up some donations but right now I feel like we are just running in place.

I know that we are not going to get the funding we need for a new stadium and in these economic times I can live with that. What I can not live with is not knowing what direction UA is headed in regard to football. The NEC, even with the autobid in 2 years, is a weak conference and will never be a FCS championship caliber conference. We need to chart a path to the future. I really don't think that the CAA is going to invite us when the new schools join in a year so where are we headed? If the AD would just state a goal of where we want to be in 5-10 years I think we could gain some public support and drum up some donations but right now I feel like we are just running in place.

Welcome to the board jpg!

I think it's going to be tough to get funded by the state this year. For those of you in the know, is there any other way to raise this sort of cash? alums, companiesetc..?

I believe this question was posed a few times in a couple of other stadium and budget threads throughout the year, not sure which ones have the best answer, but I think they all talk about what the school can and can not do when thinking of raising money. I think some of these threads will have exactly what you are looking for. :)

http://bigpurplefans.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=5552

http://bigpurplefans.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=5195

http://bigpurplefans.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=4925

http://bigpurplefans.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=4413

Archived