UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2009 NY State Budget - Football Stadium

GreatDanes06

what is particularly disturbing about this budget is that it actually increases spending, most of it going towards an already generous welfare system. To cut SUNY funding so drastically and increase welfare programs is OUTRAGEOUS. Add to that all of the ridiculous taxes that are imposed by the state and it equates to a piss poor solution to a problem by a man who wasnt even elected into office!

But you won't see the news reporting that.

Cutting SUNY funding and increasing wellfare and makes no sense.

This budget, if passed, will effectively push young NY'ers right out of NY. Look at the taxes and fees:

.Jacking up the cost of going to college

Taxing downloading music and movies, buying beer and wine, seeing a show or game, even paying the rent.

State jobs could dry up because of layoffs and a government hiring freeze.

College grads who do get a state job, pensions and other benefits are shrinking or disappearing altogether.

Add that to the complete cut of the STAR rebate and you can forget being able to afford a home as a young person.

All the while states like North Carolina and Texas are offering new jobs and low cost of living.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alot of excuses can be thrown around, blaming the current financial downturn, for all of the failures of New York State, including the state university system. The largest university system in the country, but the most inefficient system in the country. As it has been stated many times here, we've got WAY TOO MANY state colleges in New York.

Instead of having a only 1/3 or 1/4 of these colleges, and concentrating the billions and billions of annual funding on the university centers, we waste a fortune on repetitious programs and run of the mill colleges.. No wonder why our BIG 4 University centers have struggled to progress, and struggled with identity, national recognition, and national athletic competitiveness. And NY is supposed to be big and bad... the cream of the crop. They've shablambled the hell out of SUNY.

Alot of excuses will be thrown around why it is too difficult to getting anything accomplished with the University of Albany during this time. We should already have a stadium.. it should already have been built. Our university leaders have come up short. I give them this, it is a JOKE to get anything accomplished when relying on the state of new york government. There is one of the problems, we've put all of our eggs in one basket, without considering alternatives. BUT, Stone Broke and Biffalo haven't had much trouble getting what they've wanted. Funny thing how aggressive leaders with vision and goals, leaders who unite their university by being loud and vocal, get things done. Boy do I miss Kermit Hall.

The meat and potatos of Plan 2010 hasn't even been touched. It's easy to hide in the shadows of silence. If you don't share your thoughts and goals, you have less of a chance for people to witness your failure. It's a recipe for failure at the same time. It's been a long time for things to be happening behind the scenes. The question is: is anyone going to take the helm of this ship and guide us to bigger and better things, or are we going to be content with mediocrity.

Patterson is a f'in joke...and I will leave at that. I have worked with the man...and frankly, it is akin to having Sarah Palin as President.

Am I the only person here who thinks that Paterson is trying his hardest to not get elected in 2010? Would the state Democratic Party ever give a vote of no confidence to an incumbent candidate? Or are we stuck with him for years and years solely due to the "-D" next to his name?

Patterson is a f'in joke...and I will leave at that. I have worked with the man...and frankly, it is akin to having Sarah Palin as President.

Am I the only person here who thinks that Paterson is trying his hardest to not get elected in 2010? Would the state Democratic Party ever give a vote of no confidence to an incumbent candidate? Or are we stuck with him for years and years solely due to the "-D" next to his name?

Whether you like him or not, right now he is doing what the public thinks he needs to do. His approval ratings are very high, and every time the members of the current Republican Senate or the Democratic Assembly do nothing about the fiscal crisis, their ratings decline and his stock rises. It's all in the minds of public perception. Now that we have seen specific line items in the governor's proposed budget and how various constituencies will be affected, who knows how public opinion of him will change.

Personally, I think he is doing all he can to get elected next time around.

what is particularly disturbing about this budget is that it actually increases spending, most of it going towards an already generous welfare system. To cut SUNY funding so drastically and increase welfare programs is OUTRAGEOUS. Add to that all of the ridiculous taxes that are imposed by the state and it equates to a piss poor solution to a problem by a man who wasnt even elected into office!

Forgive my political diatribe here, but it's not surprising -- look who's in power in NYS. A democratic governor and downstate democratic-controlled senate and assembly (and most likely Caroline K. waiting to take over Hillary's senate seat). Guess what upstate, we're on our own.

Slightly off topic but here's the question of the day:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_university_system

Who here can guess how many universities in Florida's university system have FBS football programs?

How many does the state university of NY system have?

Something stinks here! Nice to see a state do it the right way!

The University of Albany is perfectly suited to be the flagship of the State University of NY system.... and it is perfected suited to thrive and excel in FBS football. The University has 160 years of tradition, has exploded with success in only a handful of years in D1 athletics, has dozens of nationally ranked academic programs, has a few nationally ranked athletic programs already, is situated in the capital of New York State, is nearby several major cities, is nearby the Adirondack Mountains and New England.

Our four university centers could have been nationally known and respected as academic and athletic powerhouses, among the best in the country. We should have 4 FBS programs, and we should be competing with the Florida's and the LSU's... Instead, we've got what we've got.

Slightly off topic but here's the question of the day:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_university_system

Who here can guess how many universities in Florida's university system have FBS football programs?

How many does the state university of NY system have?

Something stinks here! Nice to see a state do it the right way!

The University of Albany is perfectly suited to be the flagship of the State University of NY system.... and it is perfected suited to thrive and excel in FBS football. The University has 160 years of tradition, has exploded with success in only a handful of years in D1 athletics, has dozens of nationally ranked programs, is situated in the capital of New York State, is nearby several major cities, is nearby the Adirondack Mountains and New England.

Our four university centers could have been nationally known and respected as academic and athletic powerhouses, among the best in the country. We should have 4 FBS programs, and we should be competing with the Florida's and the LSU's... Instead, we've got what we've got.

Agreed!

My 2 cents:

1. Large schools in states like Florida can fund football through operations. So while it's a lot of $ for them to fund football, they generate a lot of revenue. Also, for a lot of the southern states (FCS programs for example), you can make a legitimate argument that a football program will increase alumni donations and potentially increase male enrollment.

2. As much as I'd like a stadium, I don't see how the state can provide the funds now - there's no money. I understand that Stony Brook, Buffalo and Binghamton all get a lot of $ and maybe we're shortchanged but this is a much different environment. I hope that I'm wrong and we get one, but I'm not optimistic.

3. We sometimes post about HS stadiums. I live in Atlanta where there are a lot of nice stadiums - the schools don't pay for them, the booster clubs pay (parents, alumni...). Areas that don't have active booster clubs play in shared comm unity stadiums. Some places like Valdosta HS and Carrollton HS have nice fields that they share with the local college.

4. I'd like to see the athletic department have a plan B that's a renovation of University Field, nicer stands, concessions and maybe a scoreboard - maybe that's something alumni contributions might be able to cover.

I'm at the point where I think the administration needs to turn to Alumni for $ and develop something that will require less state funding...

Forgive my political diatribe here, but it's not surprising -- look who's in power in NYS. A democratic governor and downstate democratic-controlled senate and assembly (and most likely Caroline K. waiting to take over Hillary's senate seat). Guess what upstate, we're on our own.

How does the saying go....in New York City politics, you're either very liberal or extremely liberal.

I think Paterson is the latter.

U.S. Conference of Mayors submitted plans today that included infrastructure repairs that they would like for 2009. Albany is a member and the city has asked for the following...

- Public Safety Interoperable Data Communications - APD received a $3.5m COPS Technology grant to provide law enforcement agencies in Albany, Rensselaer, and Schenectady counties with integrated Records Management Systems. - $250,000 requested creating 0 jobs

Violent Crime Suppression Initiative - APD received a $330,000.00 Byrne grant, which provided wireless access points and in-car cameras for use in areas targeted for high incidence of firearm related crime. The grant also funded special details of office. $300,000 requested funding creating 0 jobs.

Wireless access to underserved populations initiative- the city has partnered with a local wireless internet provider to install access points into areas of the city in which the populous has a diminished ability to gain access to internet services for em. $1,000,000 requested creating 0 jobs.

Regulator Water Rehabilitation Project. $30,000 requested creating 3 jobs.

West Lawrence Stormwater Storage. $115,000 requested creating 8 jobs.

Academy Area Storm Sewer Extension 150,000 9

Allen Street Sewer Slip Lining Project 90,000 9

Hansen Avenue Storm Sewer Project 200,000 9

Kent Street Sewer Project 160,000 9

Prospect Street Storm Sewer Project 60,000 9

Rose Court/Dartmouth Detention Basins 125,000 9

Ryckman Avenue Storm Sewer Project 130,000 9

Tampa Avenue Storm Sewer Project 120,000 9

Woodville Sewer Project 27,000 9

Loudonville Reservoir LT2ESWTR 950,000 14

Delaware Avenue Sewer Replacement and Relining 1,075,000 18

Melrose Area Stormwater Recharge Basins 730,000 27

Totals: $5,512,000.00 requested to create 151.00 jobs

My 2 cents:

1. Large schools in states like Florida can fund football through operations. So while it's a lot of $ for them to fund football, they generate a lot of revenue. Also, for a lot of the southern states (FCS programs for example), you can make a legitimate argument that a football program will increase alumni donations and potentially increase male enrollment.

2. As much as I'd like a stadium, I don't see how the state can provide the funds now - there's no money. I understand that Stony Brook, Buffalo and Binghamton all get a lot of $ and maybe we're shortchanged but this is a much different environment. I hope that I'm wrong and we get one, but I'm not optimistic.

3. We sometimes post about HS stadiums. I live in Atlanta where there are a lot of nice stadiums - the schools don't pay for them, the booster clubs pay (parents, alumni...). Areas that don't have active booster clubs play in shared comm unity stadiums. Some places like Valdosta HS and Carrollton HS have nice fields that they share with the local college.

4. I'd like to see the athletic department have a plan B that's a renovation of University Field, nicer stands, concessions and maybe a scoreboard - maybe that's something alumni contributions might be able to cover.

I'm at the point where I think the administration needs to turn to Alumni for $ and develop something that will require less state funding...

Perhaps you're on to something here, Reeder, with your item number 3. Maybe one way to go about this is to build a stadium on campus that is the functional equivalent of a community stadium. Maybe another approach is a quid-pro-quo approach whereby whoever owns the Harriman State Office Complex Land (I assume the State) can donate some of that land to us in exchange for government/community use of the stadium. Of course, this would make way more sense if the City of Albany and/or Albany County owned that land. I'm just brainstorming here ... .

More realistically, maybe the City of Albany or Albany County can help out with the cost of this stadium such that the stadium can be used by the capital district, Albany High School, Section II playoffs, etc. How cool would all of that be? Maybe we can even get adjoining counties to help out as well so that they could also use the stadium. THe good thing we have going for us is UAlbany football IS the Albany metropolitan area's team. There is no other rival team at the division I level, unlike basketball with Siena. Even Siena fans can come out and cheer for UAlbany football, and I hope that they do, and I welcome them with "open arms," as the saying goes.

Given that Albany has the highest bond rating in the state for any city, it seems like if we could at least get a downpayment on the stadium through donations, some state funding, and/or increased tuition or fees for incoming classes, that we could make this happen. Is the stadium something that we have to have the entire amount of cash for upfront?

Perhaps you're on to something here, Reeder, with your item number 3. Maybe one way to go about this is to build a stadium on campus that is the functional equivalent of a community stadium. Maybe another approach is a quid-pro-quo approach whereby whoever owns the Harriman State Office Complex Land (I assume the State) can donate some of that land to us in exchange for government/community use of the stadium. Of course, this would make way more sense if the City of Albany and/or Albany County owned that land. I'm just brainstorming here ... .

I think the complex is a subsidiary of the Empire State Dev. Corp which is a public authority. Whether who owns it I didn't find that when I looked quickly online ( http://www.harrimancampus.com/ ) . If the state holds the property then I don't know if it could donate land to UA... maybe transfer the land over to UA and have them own the land since both are State entities but I don't know much about how different state entities donate land and sharing (doesn't seem to happen often haha).

Probably more likely that the city or county would be more interested..well maybe the county just because the city as has the TU center..which probably can suit any need they other than football. Is the inside of the TU too small for a regular football field? I know it has arena football but that's diff dimensions...

The TU is a County Center...not sure why the thought it belongs to the City. The TU can fit a 50 yard field...that's it.

Land transfers for State entities must go through a regular process of land sales depending on actual ownership, however it can be done for the mere value of a $1.00.

All planning of the Harriman campus has been towards private development to get it onto the city tax rolls (even if there haven't been many takers); you won't get much help from the city, because Jennings has been balancing the Albany budget with dumping fees at the landfill, and that will be out of room in two years.

Archived