UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

State University of New York System Overhaul

uofalbany

You understand that that is your opinion...how does someone making clothing or toys deserve less of an education than someone doing landscape architecture? SUNY is suppose to represent letting everyone of society get an education.. it shows that we have a diverse population in NY who want diverse degrees. And if you say someone at FIT doesn't get a real education than you will be making an ignorant and ill informed comment.

It seems as if you have more of a problem in general with those types of programs or people across the nation (from your American/western culture comment).

If you don't like the direction SUNY is going then get a job with them and make changes. Actions speak louder than words.

(might stick to just the sport threads from now on, the whining about NY and SUNY in general is getting very old)

Suny is supposed to grant everyone of New York access to an education... not access to every possible program imaginable. There was a point where the STATE of NEW YORK needed to decide where to draw the line, but they didn't. I'm not saying their education is anything less than anyone other suny education... but I'm saying I have serious doubts if SUNY should be offering SOME of these programs.

I'm an international business owner, I have a job. Thanks for the suggestion. Regardless, I still have strong feelings toward the institution that gave me my education. If SUNY were operated correctly throughout the decades, all of our university centers could have been light years ahead of their current condition. I'd rather the countless number of people in our state government, who get huge salaries and pension, deal with the SUNY mess.

There's no whining going on, just comments of dissatisfaction. I'm sure everyone that has expressed dissatisfaction over SUNY is pleased you consider their comments whining.

If you can't see the redundancy that saturates the system, then you're not looking. And if this inefficiency doesn't bother you, then so be it. Don't offer any ideas in the discussion.

Thanks for your credentials. And I disagree with comments of dissatisfaction vs. whining.. I am not necessarily referring to this specific thread but how many threads do there have to be on the same exact topic about how SUNY sucks. The same comments get made w/ the same responses by the same people. If people just looked at the old threads they would see ppl keep saying the same exact thing over and over. (if you were dissatisfied you would state the issue and move on ....repetitiveness to me is whining)

I think it is great people discuss the problems with the system and question it, but when the same comments are made in every 'new' thread it gets old. That is what I am referring to. I agree and won't offer anything to the discussion or topic anymore. Enjoy.

Thanks for the initial employment suggestion.

I had a gut feeling you'd be disagreeing with more.

No threads, or comments within threads, have broken down into great detail on how SUNY could be overhauled / changed / improved..... whatever word you want to use without russling anyone's feathers.

Nothing ever is accomplished without persistence. And if an issue is never resolved, then there will be continuous discussion and conceptualizing on the matter. I'm glad that some people here actually offer ideas, and share their thoughts and feelings towards sensative and/or meaningful issues.

You must work for SUNY or at least the State, don't you.

I think the problem really stems from the fact that we all believe that the SUNY system, had it been run correctly, could have been a national leader. Unfortunately, that's not the way things transpired. But given the right leadership with a clear vision for the future, changes can be made that will allow the system to continue to evolve. It definitely is broken and dysfunctional and I know that a new stadium at UA isn't going to fix all of the problems but increased exposure nationally is never a bad thing for a major research university, especially one in the capital of this state.

you know, for all the bad mouthing of FIT, the basketball program we love may not be exactly what it is today. Many have said that Pat Filien would be a wonderful heir to Coach Brown should Brown ever leave for the A-10 or a higher conference. Well, that same man we love got his start at FIT!

listen, I want a football stadium more then the next person. Is our field terrible now? yes! we all know and the school knows. But frankly, EDUCATION SHOULD TRUMP ALL! When students are being deprived of there education for a stadium, that is where I draw a line, even if it is my team. I teach in NYC and my school is far from bad. However, we still have issues and little to know money less to spend. Patterson wants to cut the budget and school spending, yet NYC can give the Mets and Yankees another couple million to finish their new stadiums.

Education is the name of the game! Frankly, having a university system that involves universities, big and small, and the community colleges, EVEN IF THEY ARE SEPARATED BY LESS THEN 20 MILES, that allows students to focus on the studies of their choice, then I am proud to live in that state. Instead of crying, would all of you be willing to pay extra taxes? We all cry foul when stuff is cut, but will also cry foul when we raise taxes by one cent!

Small colleges and community colleges are vital, especially to those who can't afford the bigger institutions. If you don't like it, come up with a plan to get everyone out of poverty and school affordable!

that's my rant

you know, for all the bad mouthing of FIT, the basketball program we love may not be exactly what it is today. Many have said that Pat Filien would be a wonderful heir to Coach Brown should Brown ever leave for the A-10 or a higher conference. Well, that same man we love got his start at FIT!

listen, I want a football stadium more then the next person. Is our field terrible now? yes! we all know and the school knows. But frankly, EDUCATION SHOULD TRUMP ALL! When students are being deprived of there education for a stadium, that is where I draw a line, even if it is my team. I teach in NYC and my school is far from bad. However, we still have issues and little to know money less to spend. Patterson wants to cut the budget and school spending, yet NYC can give the Mets and Yankees another couple million to finish their new stadiums.

Education is the name of the game! Frankly, having a university system that involves universities, big and small, and the community colleges, EVEN IF THEY ARE SEPARATED BY LESS THEN 20 MILES, that allows students to focus on the studies of their choice, then I am proud to live in that state. Instead of crying, would all of you be willing to pay extra taxes? We all cry foul when stuff is cut, but will also cry foul when we raise taxes by one cent!

Small colleges and community colleges are vital, especially to those who can't afford the bigger institutions. If you don't like it, come up with a plan to get everyone out of poverty and school affordable!

that's my rant

I agree with your post for the most part

Again...I shake my head at these comments as much as I did at the AGS Board about FBS football and the like.

People-- the State has poorly run this system....period. Facts are, people really dont know the UNIVERSITY OF NY SYSTEM OUTSIDE OF NY. That...is a MAJOR PROBLEM. I have travelled this world and country enough to know that just about everyone knows Michigan, FSU, UCLA, etc.

Part of the problem is systemic-- the way it is run is awful. The biggest problem is a problem I have as a general issue with the way the State markets the schools....and they way Albany itself is often stuck in the stone age. THIS IS NOT 1960....and the SUNY SYSTEM and ALBANY IN PARTICULAR needs to do a better job marketing ourselves in a competitive market. This goes beyond athletics...but that stream of revenue/advertising is a part of it.

The fact that the SUNY system is the poorest endowed system of the big systems is scary. It is actually pathetic...and it is rooted in the way the schools are run by SUNY CENTRAL...and a really silly legislature.

As for FIT....ummm...check some facts...get back to me...and tell me what one of the BIGGEST markets in the world is...and the more than arguable INTERNATIONAL HEADQUARTERS IS-- That would be retail/fashion....and NYC...and more specifically BROADWAY. My father had 90% of his staff come from FIT...and most of them now run international businesses that are bigger than any of us on this board could hope to run. To pick on FIT is stupid. In fact, that is one school I would support because those graduates have a direct and MAJOR impact on the NYS economy. I am, however, in the camp of school consolidation.

Archived