UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UAlbany advocacy day

statefan

This model has not been around for three years as it shows where it will stand which is now where the current soccer field is. It's fairly small, so it can be hauled around by fund raisers, but if it comes to passed as rendered, I think everyone would be very happy. I'll try to get a picture of it. Then you guys can help me get it posted.

I'm talking about THIS drawing, sketch, model.... whatever you want to call it.

THIS has been around for a while now. I was quite excited about this one.

If they've replaced this with another, I will refrain from

getting excited as a 'model' does not mean it becomes a reality. I will remain hopeful and supportive.

sports0404ualbany.jpg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last year Assemblyman Canestrari and a number of other leaders made a point of saying UA is a flagship. I hope at least one speaker made the point in front of the Chancellor. It's important for her to know how we feel on this issue. You know for a fact UB will be hammering her on this point.

On the flagship topic, I want her to say there are 4 SUNY Centers (flagships) and to that point I am hammering the media and politicans to hold her accountable. Make her commit!

This model has not been around for three years as it shows where it will stand which is now where the current soccer field is. It's fairly small, so it can be hauled around by fund raisers, but if it comes to passed as rendered, I think everyone would be very happy. I'll try to get a picture of it. Then you guys can help me get it posted.

I'm talking about THIS drawing, sketch, model.... whatever you want to call it.

THIS has been around for a while now. If they've replaced this with another, I will refrain from

getting excited as a 'model' does not mean it becomes a reality. I will remain hopeful and supportive.

sports0404ualbany.jpg

I believe it is different. That drawing is the just the basic design. I believe the new model was prepared after the site study was completed. Meaning the model design by Heery is incorporated into the Unviersity grounds. Plus the picture above seats about 25,000. I've heard the design made by Heery seats 10,000.

Who else spoke? Dr McElroy? Interim Philips?

Interim Philip

UUP Chapter President (I think?)

M/A Canestrari

M/A Tobacco

Sen. Little

Sen. Breslin

Sen. Staviski

Sen. LaValle

A new Senator can't remember his name... (UA grad)

Chancellor

Mayor Jennings ( I saw him, can't remember if he spoke or not)

Might be missing people....please add to the list..? The Assembly was in conference so I believe only the two listed members were able to get out of conf and speak at the event.

IIRC Pres. Philips said we were THE flagship

She is a good person. God love her.

She is probably happy that I haven't contacted her lately. I have two topics. The stadium and being a flagship. Just ask my girlfriend, friends or neighbors! ha, ha

Challenges aplenty at SUNY

But Zimpher tiptoed around some other delicate questions.

Asked whether a system like SUNY needs one or two flagship campuses former Gov. Eliot Spitzer designated Stony Brook and Buffalo flagships Zimpher said the question of such special designations for research or comprehensive schools would likely be a central issue for the planning process. Asked whether she planned to make major personnel changes at SUNY, Zimpher said it was "too early to call."

This would be an excellent time to get permanent leadership in place so that we have a voice in this "planning process"

I emailed Marc Parry this morning and he gave me a call back. I quized him as to why he didn't nail Zimpher down for an answer on the flagship question. Are we a SUNY Center (flagship) or aren't we? Simple question. HUGE ramifications.

Politicians and media will respond. Call them.

And what was his answer?

He said he asked her twice but she wouldn't answer the question.

That is exactly why I got so angry this morning when I read his piece. Nail her down on an answer. Its critical to the Capitol District.

Think about this question. What is the finacial impact of a flagship (Ohio State, Michigan) versus a second tier in-state competitor like Kent State or Grand Valley State?

• 10,000 to 20,000 more students
  • 1,000 + more professors
  • 2 to 3 more professional schools
  • 30,000+ Staurday game day fans
  • What, maybe another $1 Billion in economic impact?

Academics and pride are one thing. I'm talking about jobs and investment. I'm talking about having major college athletics. What the heck, man.

Is UAlbany a flagship or not?

I would have had a headline something like this:

"Zimpher won't commit to UAlbany being a flagship"

That will wake some people up. That is basically what she said by not answering the question.

Slight OT here, but I've always liked the idea of playing the part of a flaghship university as best we can, even if it just means little things. I have always loved how North Carolina, Indiana, and some other flagship universities have a picture of the state they represent on their basketball court at the center of their basketball courts. Now that sends a message clear as day.

I imagine some other state universities do it as well, but a big purple State of New York picture at center court with a star for Albany would send a powerful message to anyone who views or attends a UAlbany game!

23128455313b3f5b898den1.jpg

13c667a9e54f697ef20bxw5.png

The state emblem would be nice, but I still refuse to waver from my position of having a 30 foot tall Damien at half court, a la the Kansas Jayhawk.

I want people all over the country turning on the AE championship game when we are hosting as the #1 seed (next year) and talking about "that school with the giant great dane."

Archived