UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

BUMA @ Albany

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

very exciting win!! didn't think we had any business winning this game. 11-12 from the line in 2nd half was a big help. timmy does some awful stuff sometimes but offsets it with some great work under the hoop. should never have been this close with the 3 BU was missing but we will take it going to UVM

Good win tonight. Great game to attend...crowd was definitely loud at the end (I always get nervous at the Sefcu about standing since I remember at the end of the Boise game last year getting yelled at by a staffer, so I was glad people were on their feet). Congrats to coach on win #100...hopefully he'll get to 200 in no more than 5 seasons.

Whether coach will want to admit it or not, Ambrose won this game for us at the end. I still think he has become Brown's whipping boy, but there were times were Brown described him from the bench as "selfish" and I have to agree. He was trying to do too much at times...but in the end he pulled it out. He needs to be getting 30 minutes of PT every game. He and Harris led the team in playing time...this is the way it needs to be as they are our two best players. I also really like how Harris has stepped up as a leader for this team. Raffa and Connelly are the other key players, but Raffa had an off night and Connelly got penalized by the refs (Honestly, some of the calls (and non-calls at the end) were preposterous.

I still cringe every time Barraza hoists up a shot. He was better tonight, but if he's considered one of our best shooters we need to change our recruiting strategy.

I know a win is a win, but Will Brown ALWAYS seems upset about something going on defensively. One of my friends suggested that perhaps its because Brown has some strange defensive schemes that only he understands...a theory that I know sounds crazy, but the more I watch the more I begin to believe

Great win....CONGRATS TO COACH BROWN FOR NOTCHING HIS 100th WIN AT THE HELM!

I though the game started out rather lethargic, there wasn't allot of energy in the building but boy was the place hopping with the clock running down on the game. When the team gave us something to cheer for the crowd generated a good amount of noise. In the end, the noise I'm sure helped us make a couple of those last stands. Great job winning again at home....5-0 this season, way to go protecting the home court.

Rebounding....we outrebounded them huge, especially in the second half. I checked ESPN at halftime and I believe the two teams were about even if not dead even, final margin 44-27 in favor of UA. I know it was one of the keys to the game based on what Coach Brown said....looks like the team took care of business in the rebounding dept.

The offense is still struggling....we shot once again under 40% on the game, the first half was better, we slowed down a little bit in the second half. I guess we are still a work in progress.....Will came out aggressive and put the team on this back early...Timmy backed him up once he got going especially some big buckets in the second half. Barazza hit three from beyond the arc, hopefully this will give him some additional confidence but the one he hit late in the second half was HUGE. I still cringe when he shoots it or just about anyone else because we've struggled like we have but after today I have a touch more of confidence in him....hopefully he will keep shooting and more importantly making them. Anthony seems to be struggling as of late only 4 points but he did pull down 8 boards....perhaps he hit a little bit of a rookie wall here.

Brian iced his foot most of the second half...hope he heals up, we need him and his experience.

Last but not least....I thought the officials were absolute HORSE $iena in this one....some of the worst officiating I've seen in some time. I try to go out of my way not comment on the officials usually (W or L) but these three mice should never officiate again. How many times did we all BOOOO the crap out of them....disgusting!

Great effort....we needed something/anything to gain some confidence, a W is a W!

P.S. Jerel is a lockdown defender, when ever he was on Holland he was all up on him....I know Holland still wend off for 25 pts but whenever Jerel was on him I thought Holland had a much harder time getting what he wanted. Jerel took away his penetration and was able to stay in front of him. Was Jerel on him on the last play of the game....? No doubt they were trying to go to him I'm wondering if he denied him the ball. Great effort by Jerel!

Congrats to Coach Brown on his 100th win! This one certainly wasn't easy.

Great to see Barazza knock down those shots and start looking for his shot. Really gave Ambrose and Harris more space to operate inside with him on the perimeter.

Both Ambrose and Harris finish the game with double-doubles. I can't think of the last time we had two guys do that.

Post game thoughts up....courtesy of TU

This one stuck out to me......

“I was very happy for Louis Barraza, as well,” Brown said. “He’s been shooting lights out in practice, and since our DePaul game, there’s been a lid on that rim for him. I get a kick out of people that criticize, `Why is he playing? He hasn’t made a shot.’ Those same people were standing up and high-fiving each other and doing the darned wave for the kid tonight.” ~ ahheemm....guilty as charged

“I was very happy for Louis Barraza, as well,” Brown said. “He’s been shooting lights out in practice, and since our DePaul game, there’s been a lid on that rim for him. I get a kick out of people that criticize, `Why is he playing? He hasn’t made a shot.’ Those same people were standing up and high-fiving each other and doing the darned wave for the kid tonight.” ~ ahheemm....guilty as charged

Will Brown hit the nail on the head.

Laughing.gif

Will Brown hit the nail on the head.

Laughing.gif

Yeh...little doubt that the coaches and players read the board.

I mean, isn't that the normal reaction of a fan? Your not in practice and you've never seen the kid before and the only thing you've seen is some poor shooting. So it's natural to ask the question; why is he playing? just my opinion. Believe me, I hope Barraza shoots the lights out and plays great. I feel the same way about every guy on the team.

I mean, isn't that the normal reaction of a fan? Your not in practice and you've never seen the kid before and the only thing you've seen is some poor shooting. So it's natural to ask the question; why is he playing? just my opinion. Believe me, I hope Barraza shoots the lights out and plays great. I feel the same way about every guy on the team. - danes05

You are absolutely right from a fans perspective but I think Coach was just stating Barraza had earned his time in practice and we as fans just see players for a few minutes in games.

It's probably the same with why he has shorter leashes on certain players then others, he has seen the miscues numerous times in practice and when he see them surface in games he pretty much knows what will follow.

I was once told the biggest problem a coach has is stopping one mistake from becoming two. For example a player makes a bonehead offensive play and then goes to the other end of the court and commits a foul or gives up an open three. How often do you see a player miss a shot in close and then immediately commit a foul going for the rebound?

I mean, isn't that the normal reaction of a fan? Your not in practice and you've never seen the kid before and the only thing you've seen is some poor shooting. So it's natural to ask the question; why is he playing? just my opinion. Believe me, I hope Barraza shoots the lights out and plays great. I feel the same way about every guy on the team.

If he continues to hit 3 or 4 a game....great, no one is going to be asking those questions....but the lid has been on the rim for him (as well as most of the team) most of the season. From a fans perspective, it is a valid question. What he (and everyone else) does in a game is the only thing we have to go on. Gotta trust that the coach knows what he's doing when he puts players out there, obviously Louis is doing what he needs to do in practice otherwise he wouldn't be playing.

People do criticize. Sorry, Coach. That's why you are the coach. You make decisions based on what you see, not what we see. If you would play Barraza, or anyone, all season based on how they practice, and they don't produced in live action - that's your decision, your job, your neck on the line. To the fans, you're only as good as the product you bring to the floor during a game.

Listened to the game last night - pretty exciting and always good to get a conference win. I hope we've broken out of our shooting funk a little bit.

Playing BUMA so close with some of their guys out, and seeing Hartford easily handled by UNH, are troubling.

Go Danes.

Archived