UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

ruler 2,

I like your injection of realism here on this topic. I'd love to see UA get a spanking new stadium and 63 full scholarships, but we need to look at UA athletic history over the long haul to know that UA won't achieve these goals at a quick pace. It'll take time to realize these goals, just like it has always taken time to do things in UA athletics.

For some posters here, it may be difficult to realize that UA has just playing only its tenth year at the Division I level. Barely 15 years ago, the UA Faculty Senate voted NOT to go to Division I; yet, here we are! For most of my association with UA we were playing Division III. Every time this school's athletic program takes what most of you might consider a microstep forward and might yawn, I pinch myself to make sure that what I'm seeing and reading is actually true. This program is already doing many things that I would have regarded 20 years ago as ridiculously impossible.

I guess I'm counseling a little patience here. In a few years, this economic mess should be history. (I've already experienced a few of them.) Then UA will be ready to take it to the next level.

(BTW , ruler 2, your post looked pretty grammatically correct to me.)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with moving at a snails pace is that the entire landscape of SUNY has changed. If we don't even attempt to keep up with Stony Brook and to some extent UB, Albany will forever be relegated to a second class University within the SUNY system and it will become little better than Oswego, Plattsburgh, Old Westbury, etc...

Here's something that pisses me off:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...1131/SPORTS0201

Delaware State will be playing at Michigan in 2009.

I would take us over Del State by 2 TD's at least (Central Conn. went to Del State last year and won going away 28-10!)

Could you imagine what a game at Michigan would do to energize the UA student body and fan base?

This is why the NEC has to move to allow 57 scholarships and fast. There are these types of program building games out there to be had.

I agree with those posters saying that we came further than we ever thought imaginable; however, it isn't how far you came. What matters is how far you came relative to your peers.

If people in your neighborhood didn't normally graduate from high school and you did, you might be proud of yourself. If your neighbors then went on to college and you still only graduated from high school, how proud would you be?

If SUNY Buffalo and Stony Brook were playing partial scholarship football then I wouldn't mind where we are today. Its not acceptable to say we're fine with being last. I wasn't raised to think being last is fine.

UA is a state university center, comparable to any other state. People argue that we can't compete with other states. Now I hear we can't compete within our own state. If UB and SBU are too good for us then who are our peers? HVCC?

So looking at schedules.travisliles.com I can come up with a few possibilities for our 2 remaining OOC games:

Teams that would be good to play that have open dates for the 3rd and 4th weeks and might come to University Field:

CAA

Maine (rumored to be one of them, but not confirmed)

Rhode Island

Patriot

Bucknell

Georgetown

Big South

Coastal Carolina

Gardner Webb

Stony Brook

Teams I hope it does not include:

Any of the PFL teams

Bryant

That's really the only teams that would possibly fit the bill.

There are some opening in the Socon and Big Sky, but we wouldn't get them at home and according to McElroy we were supposed to have 3 home OOC games this year.

I have heard one game is Bryant-- NEC pushing all teams to play them.

Uhhh....that sucks, but I had a bad feeling about that.

Screw the NEC. Don't the realize that their best team playing Bryant does nothing for the NEC? Albany needs OOC wins against AQ leagues next year for the conditional AQ. This is the exact thing about the NEC that makes no sense. They don't seem to have a push to get into the playoffs besides the AQ.

Sadly...you are correct. On a side note...at least it wont be a pushover game for us. Bryant is very good...and, if you saw their facility, you would be nauseated. It is really nice for only one side....about 3500 seat brick complex. We double that up and I would be happy.

Bryant...is going to be an NEC power...and quick.

Sadly...you are correct. On a side note...at least it wont be a pushover game for us. Bryant is very good...and, if you saw their facility, you would be nauseated. It is really nice for only one side....about 3500 seat brick complex. We double that up and I would be happy.

Bryant...is going to be an NEC power...and quick.

I know and that's what makes the game even worse. Why in the world would we play a team that will give us a tough game if the win means nothing?

Even if we beat them by 50, it wouldn't help the cause.

The latest from Maine is that the Black Bears are no longer playing Florida State on Sept. 5, but will still receive $450,000. There are rumors that they have replaced the FSU game with Syracuse and will also receive a sizable guarantee from the Orangemen. Another far-fetched rumor is that we could be playing at Houston, but I don't see that happening if the Syracuse game becomes a reality. Maine's AD has commented that they have one more FCS game to schedule. I'm assuming that the other one is Albany (and maybe on the road like has been suggested here). Maine definitely needs the other OOC game to be a home game.

Personally, I'd like to see Maine and UNH schedule home and homes with Albany and Stony Brook EVERY season. I'm not sure what the problem is in getting that accomplished........

Ex:

2009 - Maine at Albany, Stony Brook at Maine and UNH at Stony Brook, Albany at UNH

2010 - opposites

The latest from Maine is that the Black Bears are no longer playing Florida State on Sept. 5, but will still receive $450,000. There are rumors that they have replaced the FSU game with Syracuse and will also receive a sizable guarantee from the Orangemen. Another far-fetched rumor is that we could be playing at Houston, but I don't see that happening if the Syracuse game becomes a reality. Maine's AD has commented that they have one more FCS game to schedule. I'm assuming that the other one is Albany (and maybe on the road like has been suggested here). Maine definitely needs the other OOC game to be a home game.

Personally, I'd like to see Maine and UNH schedule home and homes with Albany and Stony Brook EVERY season. I'm not sure what the problem is in getting that accomplished........

Ex:

2009 - Maine at Albany, Stony Brook at Maine and UNH at Stony Brook, Albany at UNH

2010 - opposites

MJ - I like the way you think

$450k to not play a game.

The only thing separating UA (and the NEC) from the rest of FBS is a lousy dozen or so schollies. We have to make it happen!

Missouri has an open date on 9/19. We should play them instead of Bryant..........oh wait the NEC fails to see the benefit in that.

Missouri has an OPEN date in their schedule (weekend of September 19th). If you are a school that would like to Mizzou's FCS Opponent for that weekend, please contact the Mizzou Football office at (573)882-2213.

Archived