UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UB Lobbying

ATL_DANE

State Senate OKs plan to give UB more autonomy

ALBANY—The State Senate on Wednesday approved the UB 2020 Flexibility and Economic Growth Act, which would give the University at Buffalo more autonomy in setting policies and pursuing its expansion plans. The bill now goes on to the Assembly.

The measure would allow UB to raise tuition on its own and guarantee that tuition money be retained by the university. It also would permit UB to work with private developers in its expansion plans, let university officials borrow money through bonds and allow the purchase of goods and services without multiple levels of state preapproval.

UB President John B. Simpson thanked State Sen. William Stachowski, D-Lake View, for sponsoring the bill.

“Relief from burdensome rules like being prevented from partnering with the private sector would save taxpayers money,” Stachowski said.

http://www.buffalonews.com/nationalworld/s...ory/692197.html

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Momentum can be a killer. We'll just have to hope that similar bills come to fruition for the other SUNY centers. I wonder why a Capital Region Senator introduced the exact same bill for UAlbany?

Perhaps I should write it for him? A quick and easy cut and paste and "find and replace" could have the bill written in 15 minutes.

Vote:

Aye Adams

Aye Addabbo

Aye Alesi

Aye Aubertine

Aye Bonacic

Aye Breslin

Nay DeFrancisco

Aye Diaz

Aye Dilan

Aye Duane

Aye Espada

Nay Farley

Nay Flanagan

Aye Foley

Nay Fuschillo

Aye Golden

Nay Griffo

Nay Hannon

Aye Hassell-Thompson

Aye Huntley

Aye Johnson C

Nay Johnson O

Aye Klein Aye Krueger

Aye Kruger

Nay Lanza

Nay Larkin

Nay LaValle

Aye Leibell

Nay Libous

Abs Little

Nay Marcellino

Aye Maziarz

Nay McDonald

Aye Monserrate

Aye Montgomery

Aye Morahan

Aye Nozzolio

Aye Onorato

Aye Oppenheimer

Nay Padavan

Aye Parker

Aye Perkins

Aye Ranzenhofer

Nay Robach

Aye Saland

Aye Sampson

Aye Savino

Aye Schneiderman

Aye Serrano

Aye Seward

Aye Skelos

Aye Smith

Aye Squadron

Aye Stachowski

Aye Stavisky

Aye Stewart-Cousins

Aye Thompson

Aye Valesky

Aye Volker

Nay Winner

Aye Young

Neil Breslin needs an email or two sent his way. How could vote in favor of this as it is written?

Direct contact to Sen. Breslin

http://www.nysenate.gov/senator/neil-d-breslin/contact

I both called and emailed. Fight of UAlbany and the other SUNY Centers!

The vote is over in the Senate. People should focus on contacting those in the Higher Ed committe in the Assembly. Write to them..see if any on the committee represent areas that have other SUNY Centers, they might care more...

I take comfort in knowing the below email came TODAY from ASSEMBLY leadership. It is important to remind these politicians that UAlbany has a $1.5 Billion impact on the Capital Region. This legislation puts the Capital Region at a real disadvantage. Dito that for Central New York and Long Island.

A vote for this legislation is a vote against the Capital Region.

----------------------

Thanks for your recent email regarding A2020.

I completely agree with you and believe the bill is unlikely to pass.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

I will keep them in mind as this issue unfolds and try to be helpful.

Best wishes!

Assemby Higher Education Committee Chair

GlickD@assembly.state.ny.us

Deb Glick

Assemby Higher Education Committee

AlfanoT@assembly.state.ny.us

Tom Alfono

BarronI@assembly.state.ny.us

Inez Barron

ButlerM@assembly.state.ny.us

Marc Butler

CahillK@assembly.state.ny.us

Kevin Cahill

Castronl@assembly.state.ny.us

Nelson Castro

ConteJ@assembly.state.ny.us

James Conte

CusickM@assembly.state.ny.us

Michael Cusick

EddingP@assembly.state.ny.us

Patricia Eddington

EngleS@assembly.state.ny.us

Steve Englebright

FitzpatrickM@assembly.state.ny.us

Michael J. Fitzpatrick

GottfrR@assembly.state.ny.us

Richard N. Gottfried

JaffeeE@ assembly.state.ny.us

Ellen Jaffee

LavineC@assembly.state.ny.us

Charles Lavine

LiftonB@assembly.state.ny.us

Barbara Lifton

LupardoD@assembly.state.ny.us

Donna Lupardo

MageeW@assembly.state.ny.us

William Magee

MillerJ@assembly.state.ny.us

Joel Miller

MorellJ@assembly.state.ny.us

Joseph Morelle

PaulinA@assembly.state.ny.us

Aimee Paulin

PeopleC@assembly.state.ny.us

Crystal Peoples

PeraltJ@assembly.state.ny.us

Jose Peralta

PheffeA@assembly.state.ny.us

Audrey Pheffer

QuinnJ@assembly.state.ny.us

Jack Quinn

StirpeA@assembly.state.ny.us

Al Stirpe

GlickD@assembly.state.ny.us,AlfanoT@assembly.state.ny.us,BarronI@assembly.state.ny.us,ButlerM@assembly.state.ny.us,CahillK@assembly.state.ny.us,Castronl@assembly.state.ny.us, ConteJ@assembly.state.ny.us,CusickM@assembly.state.ny.us, EddingP@assembly.state.ny.us,EngleS@assembly.state.ny.us,FitzpatrickM@assembly.state.ny.us,GottfrR@assembly.state.ny.us,JaffeeE@assembly.state.ny.us,LavineC@assembly.state.ny.us,LiftonB@assembly.state.ny.us,LupardoD@assembly.state.ny.us,MageeW@assembly.state.ny.us,MillerJ@assembly.state.ny.us,MorellJ@assembly.state.ny.us,PaulinA@assembly.state.ny.us,PeopleC@assembly.state.ny.us,PeraltJ@assembly.state.ny.us,PheffeA@assembly.state.ny.us,QuinnJ@assembly.state.ny.us,StirpeA@assembly.state.ny.us,TobaccoL@assembly.state.ny.us

I emailed them all and may do so again. I find calls work the best. Anyway, I have my second assembly member saying they'll fight to include all 3 SUNY Centers or its no deal (despite the wishes of that maniac in Buffalo)

-------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your email. I agree and will work to include the othe SUNY Centers into the bill before it comes before the Assembly.

Sincerely,

Jim Conte

Member of Assembly

10th District

I knew of this already from a friend, but perhaps I should have mentioned it on here sooner. What a bunch of Siena:

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/queens...s_lobbyist.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/06/05...n_lobbying.html

Yeah, "momentum" my Siena! :angry:

Let me spell this out for everyone so it's clear: The current Chairperson, Toby Ann Stavisky (Queens), for the Comm. on Higher Education (i.e., who wants a football stadium?) has a son who is a lobbyist (and a well-known one at that) for SUNY Buffalo. Politics in Albany as usual, eh?

Off-topic, but notable nonetheless: Is it not shocking that with T.A.S. at the helm, CUNY now gets roughly 40% of the education money (up from 35%, I believe, just a year or two ago). There's a bigger fish out there looking to swallow us up, and though some here might say it's Buffalo or one of the other Centers, I would make a claim that it is CUNY posing much more of a fiscal threat to UAlbany.

I knew of this already from a friend, but perhaps I should have mentioned it on here sooner. What a bunch of Siena:

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/queens...s_lobbyist.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/06/05...n_lobbying.html

Yeah, "momentum" my Siena! :angry:

Let me spell this out for everyone so it's clear: The current Chairperson, Toby Ann Stavisky (Queens), for the Comm. on Higher Education (i.e., who wants a football stadium?) has a son who is a lobbyist (and a well-known one at that) for SUNY Buffalo. Politics in Albany as usual, eh?

Off-topic, but notable nonetheless: Is it not shocking that with T.A.S. at the helm, CUNY now gets roughly 40% of the education money (up from 35%, I believe, just a year or two ago). There's a bigger fish out there looking to swallow us up, and though some here might say it's Buffalo or one of the other Centers, I would make a claim that it is CUNY posing much more of a fiscal threat to UAlbany.

Yeh right.....he doesn't lobby his mother just like the bear doesn't **** in the woods.

Where is the local paper on this issue? Seems like right now would be a good time to bring some of these issues to light...not necessarily to stop UB but to push for the inclusion of UA in this legislation. But like always, if it's not negative, it's not worth the effort.

To add fuel to my second point set forth in my above post, see this statement from T.A.S.'s bio at wikipedia (not yet confirmed elsewhere):

"Senator Stavisky, the first woman from Queens County to be elected to the State Senate, is a native New Yorker who was born and raised on the upper west side of Manhattan. She attended local public schools before graduating from The Bronx High School of Science and Syracuse University where she received her Bachelor's degree. The Senator completed graduate school at Hunter and Queens Colleges. She resides in Whitestone."

Isn't Hunter and Queens Colleges part of CUNY? Just gets better and better, doesn't it?

Besides the fact that they fail to see the negative impact on the rest of the SUNY centers by UB, I think their sentiments are dead on.

Our administration, athletic and academic, has let the students and alumni of UA down tremendously on this one. No way around that.

We need to step back and take a long hard look at this:

We despised the leadership at SBU for getting disproportionate athletic funding - SBU now has to potential to become a top FCS football program of the caliber we can only dream about right now.

We despise UB for seeking autonomy from the beurocratic perils of the SUNY system - UB is on the verge of effectively removing itself from the SUNY system, something we at this point can only dream of.

This stuff isn't magic. Its not handed to UB and SBU on a silver platter like it may have appeared. They have strong lobbies and leadership and it has led them to where they are now. Albany wasted 2+ years with ABSOLUTELY ZERO PROGRESS IN ANY PROGRAM (Nano excluded).

Lets look at Nano - why has Nano gotten ahead? Here's why:

Kaloyeros.jpg

danefan,

I agree, we have no one to blame but ourselves. I'm encouraged by the activity and the discussions on this board, but this is just the start. I know many in the administration and faculty at the schools have the intelligence, knowledge and work ethic to move us quickly forward. No doubt we have pissed away allot of time on a FUTILE president search. Unfortunately we were dealt a tough hand with the premature death of Pres. Hall but life goes on....it's time we picked ourselves up and got things moving.

We need to have the current interim president confirmed by the SUNY Board, what is taking so lon?

Finally some hope in stopping UB2020!

SUNY Buffalo, the lesson here is to work with your colleagues (aka 4 SUNY Centers) to move ahead. The "only us" approach is doomed to failure. You should have learned that in kindergarden.

----------------------------------

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/696336.html

Quotes

“The bill itself has numerous problems and opposition from various quarters,” said Assemblywoman Deborah Glick, a Manhattan Democrat.

While UB took a step closer to achieving more autonomy Wednesday when the Senate approved the bill, it still has to get the OK from the Assembly.

And before it’s voted upon, the bill must pass through the Assembly’s Higher Education Committee. Glick, chairwoman of that committee, indicated it isn’t going anywhere.

“I can tell you, in its current form, it’s certainly not going to be voted on by the committee,” Glick said.

Archived