UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UB Lobbying

ATL_DANE

Remember this Republican coup was engineered and backed by Golisano, who even though he recently announced he was leaving NY for Florida, has always been an advocate of making Buffalo into the University of NY.

Exactly, since he "brokered the deal".... he owns the Senate.... not looking good for NON- UB campuses.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Remember this Republican coup was engineered and backed by Golisano, who even though he recently announced he was leaving NY for Florida, has always been an advocate of making Buffalo into the University of NY.

Exactly, since he "brokered the deal".... he owns the Senate.... not looking good for NON- UB campuses.

With regard to actions in the Senate only though right? It didn't look good before, especially when the Capital Region reps were voting in favor of UB.

Now at least things will get stalled out with the Dems in control of the Assembly still. I think the most realistic scenario is that UB2020 stalls out and that Zimpher decides whether to emphasize all 4 SUNY centers in her upcoming review of the SUNY system.

With regard to actions in the Senate only though right? It didn't look good before, especially when the Capital Region reps were voting in favor of UB.

Now at least things will get stalled out with the Dems in control of the Assembly still. I think the most realistic scenario is that UB2020 stalls out and that Zimpher decides whether to emphasize all 4 SUNY centers in her upcoming review of the SUNY system.

I think UB2020, and many other bills, are stalled for this session, Deb Glick or no Glick. The WNY delegation had UB2020 as their top priority, but now they should probably focus on clearing up who they wish to align with (City of Buffalo Dems are committed to Smith, some suburban reps have not said which side they support).

Zimpher visited BU yesterday and supports reforms to all Centers:

Inside Binghamton: At a Glance

"Zimpher said she has been deeply engaged in the discussions. “I think the concept is a powerful one right out of the Commission report … [but] I’ve made it patently clear that this is flexibility that should be expanded to all four University Centers. … Whether that happens by the end of this legislative session is a big question,” she said."

" “I wasn’t here a nanosecond before I realized it,” she said. “I am also aware that the notion of flagships has evolved, and I can’t imagine in any way that we would separate already designated research centers and medical schools from the concept of flagships. Two doesn’t make any sense to me, and … I’m not inclined to go there" "

Of course, she really needed to say these things to back up DeFleur. BU is the least research intensive and smallest of the Centers and should be worried about their schools' place in the system hierarchy and their wish for a Law school. I'm all for Zimpher visiting the campuses first to get a first step on her strategic plan, but I expect she will respect the individual plans of each campus and not try to usurp their programmatic goals. She obviously has a tough road ahead to work with parts of the Commission report she agrees with and distance herself from the flagship debate. She also has to plan around the developments within the non-centers as well. The technical colleges are adding more and more 4 year degrees, moving up to D-3, and are beginning to look more like additional SUNY liberal arts colleges, like the state needs any more.

I think UB2020, and many other bills, are stalled for this session, Deb Glick or no Glick. The WNY delegation had UB2020 as their top priority, but now they should probably focus on clearing up who they wish to align with (City of Buffalo Dems are committed to Smith, some suburban reps have not said which side they support).

Zimpher visited BU yesterday and supports reforms to all Centers:

Inside Binghamton: At a Glance

"Zimpher said she has been deeply engaged in the discussions. “I think the concept is a powerful one right out of the Commission report … [but] I’ve made it patently clear that this is flexibility that should be expanded to all four University Centers. … Whether that happens by the end of this legislative session is a big question,” she said."

" “I wasn’t here a nanosecond before I realized it,” she said. “I am also aware that the notion of flagships has evolved, and I can’t imagine in any way that we would separate already designated research centers and medical schools from the concept of flagships. Two doesn’t make any sense to me, and … I’m not inclined to go there" "

Of course, she really needed to say these things to back up DeFleur. BU is the least research intensive and smallest of the Centers and should be worried about their schools' place in the system hierarchy and their wish for a Law school. I'm all for Zimpher visiting the campuses first to get a first step on her strategic plan, but I expect she will respect the individual plans of each campus and not try to usurp their programmatic goals. She obviously has a tough road ahead to work with parts of the Commission report she agrees with and distance herself from the flagship debate. She also has to plan around the developments within the non-centers as well. The technical colleges are adding more and more 4 year degrees, moving up to D-3, and are beginning to look more like additional SUNY liberal arts colleges, like the state needs any more.

Zimpher, you rock! :)

She is probably the FIRST person who will have any say in all of this to come out and PUBLICLY support FOUR "flagship" centers. I understand that this could all change once she really get's into the strategic planning process but I feel a whole lot better today having heard what her position is....at least at this point in time.

Thank you for the info UB!

And thank you to Chancellor Zimpher!

I was reading a quote the other day from his office after the stadium wasn't included in the 2007 budget. It was about the fact tha Bruno was never even told the stadium was in the Assembly bill and not included in the Senate bill...... :glare:

That is not true...don't believe everything you read, especially when it comes out of a political press office...Bruno knew about the stadium funding..and while it's irrelevant now...our stadium was the very last SUNY capital project to be taken out of that year's budget.

I was reading a quote the other day from his office after the stadium wasn't included in the 2007 budget. It was about the fact tha Bruno was never even told the stadium was in the Assembly bill and not included in the Senate bill...... :glare:

That is not true...don't believe everything you read, especially when it comes out of a political press office...Bruno knew about the stadium funding..and while it's irrelevant now...our stadium was the very last SUNY capital project to be taken out of that year's budget.

What are we supposed to believe then? No one has said a word otherwise.

I guess that would be up to you..I wouldn't post something like that if I didn't know it to be fact..but as I said, it's quite irrelevant now..that vote was more than a year ago and the person who made the comment is no longer in state government.

I guess that would be up to you..I wouldn't post something like that if I didn't know it to be fact..but as I said, it's quite irrelevant now..that vote was more than a year ago and the person who made the comment is no longer in state government.

It is a relevant comment to the conversation, which was the fact that UA has no champion in the NYS gov't. I was highlighting the fact that I believe Bruno's power wasn't utilized to its full potential by the previous UA administrations.

And I didn't proclaim it to be fact. I said I read it in an article.

I think you misunderstood me..I wasn't insinuating that you were claiming what you heard as fact..I was literally saying that I wouldn't have posted what I did unless I knew it was fact..but you're correct, the point remains that we didn't have anyone there strong enough to risk going to task on our behalf.

I think you misunderstood me..I wasn't insinuating that you were claiming what you heard as fact..I was literally saying that I wouldn't have posted what I did unless I knew it was fact..but you're correct, the point remains that we didn't have anyone there strong enough to risk going to task on our behalf.

Yes, I totally misunderstood. I thought you were calling me out for posting what I did.

My apologies for jumping on it. :huh:

Sorry.

Of course, she really needed to say these things to back up DeFleur. BU is the least research intensive and smallest of the Centers and should be worried about their schools' place in the system hierarchy and their wish for a Law school.

Trust me - we're not worried . . . but I suspect some folks in Buffalo will be if we get our law school. :D

Yes, I totally misunderstood. I thought you were calling me out for posting what I did.

My apologies for jumping on it. :huh:

Sorry.

No problem at all.

Of course, she really needed to say these things to back up DeFleur. BU is the least research intensive and smallest of the Centers and should be worried about their schools' place in the system hierarchy and their wish for a Law school.

Trust me - we're not worried . . . but I suspect some folks in Buffalo will be if we get our law school. :D

BURN! :blush:

Buffalo people wouldn't worry, nor would any of the other Centers for that matter. BU really wants the law school and if/when you do, great for the school. My comments on the SUNY hierarchy are something I think is salient. The old 'flagship debate under Spitzer and The Commission Report never included BU. DeFleur does not want her school's lack of a research-focus (no medical component, few professional programs) to impact it's place among the Centers, per her advocating for inclusion in potential reforms. Zimpher said exactly the right things.

Archived