UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UMBC @ UA

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Everybody has an off night Cape. You seemed pretty quiet tonight. You weren't hung over were you? The student sections were fairly empty today and very quiet. Any one got an explanation for that? I hope they are more vocal on Wednesday.

Looks like Scotty is this year's resident in the dog house. I think Tim should give him some advice on how to get out of it.

Will Haggy come up with a "Free Scotty" t-shirt this year?

Will Brown on Wyland today.

Raffa thinks he broke a toe vs. UMBC, so he had trouble moving laterally which is why he was coming out for defense the last 7 minutes. X-rays today, hope it's just a sprain.

Confirms we'll be going to a smaller lineup, especially with a week to work on it. Connelly at the five, Harris at the four.

Coach thinks we're still a year away from a regular-season title, but could still get hot and win the tournament this year.

A week? I thought we had Hartford on Wednesday. Will Billy be inserted into the starting lineup? Did he say?

I like the change with the smaller/athletic starting 5. Didn't we try something like that a few games back? For some reason I remember there was talk of going a bit smaller but quicker and athletic with the starting 5.

Raffa thinks he broke a toe vs. UMBC, so he had trouble moving laterally which is why he was coming out for defense the last 7 minutes. X-rays today, hope it's just a sprain.

I remember exactly which play that was..Raffa made a lay-up on a drive to the basket and then had a few limps as soon as he landed off to the right side of the hoop as he started heading back for defense..he had a bit of a small limp for the rest of the game..the play was/is actually on the Capital News 9 highlight that was played this morning..I'm sure a bum toe and a strained groin aren't fun to play with, especially for a guard..hopefully the week's worth of 'rest' after the game on Wednesday will help to heal some of our players' ills.

Smaller lineup against Hartford, I would imagine. I like the idea of, only for purposes of a starting rotation (after the ball is in the air, lineups change constantly):

5: Brian C.

4: Harris

3: Hastings

2: Ambrose

1: Raffa/Johnson

By the way, since Coach isn't supposed to comment on it, did anyone else think the refs were horrible yesterday? Perhaps the worst ever. Allen got clipped on that one play late in the second half, and that wasn't even a foul. Wasn't the foul disparity at one point 7 to 2 or 9 to 2? It was disgusting, I thought. And Gifford (and Covington) get absolutely murdered down low and get so few fouls called, yet when Giffy puts his hands straight up in the air, he so often gets the foul called. I just don't get it. Maybe I don't understand the rules of calling fouls or something. :( Where am I going wrong here?

Thought the refs had a hard time in Vermont for our game up in Burlington (bad calls each way), but at least in that game, there seemed to be plenty of make-up calls!

Game's being replayed at 4:30 on Ch 3 today so I'll take another look at the refs. I didn't have much problem with the fouls called on us (a lot are hip & body bumps if you're looking at the hands), but agree on the non-calls UMBC got, especially Timmy's takedown. Remember UVM fans thinking we draw more charges than we deserve.

Smaller lineup against Hartford, I would imagine. I like the idea of, only for purposes of a starting rotation (after the ball is in the air, lineups change constantly):

5: Brian C.

4: Harris

3: Hastings

2: Ambrose

1: Raffa/Johnson

By the way, since Coach isn't supposed to comment on it, did anyone else think the refs were horrible yesterday? Perhaps the worst ever. Allen got clipped on that one play late in the second half, and that wasn't even a foul. Wasn't the foul disparity at one point 7 to 2 or 9 to 2? It was disgusting, I thought. And Gifford (and Covington) get absolutely murdered down low and get so few fouls called, yet when Giffy puts his hands straight up in the air, he so often gets the foul called. I just don't get it. Maybe I don't understand the rules of calling fouls or something. :( Where am I going wrong here?

Thought the refs had a hard time in Vermont for our game up in Burlington (bad calls each way), but at least in that game, there seemed to be plenty of make-up calls!

The biggest foul discrepancy I remember in the second half of yesterdays game was 9-3 in favor of UMBC. Shoddy officiating at best! Not that we didn't deserve some of those or even all of them but UMBC did get a number of calls to go their way. I'll record the replay today and watch it over.

I used to complain quite a bit about officiating but since I've started recording the games and re watching them (some multiple times) I've been surprised how many calls are actually called accurately. Surprising since sitting in the stands I always used to think that we were getting the shaft.

Game's being replayed at 4:30 on Ch 3 today so I'll take another look at the refs. I didn't have much problem with the fouls called on us (a lot are hip & body bumps if you're looking at the hands), but agree on the non-calls UMBC got, especially Timmy's takedown. Remember UVM fans thinking we draw more charges than we deserve.

I agree with UAalum72 that many of the calls on us were fouls and that the problem, as I see it, was that there were too many non-calls on UMBC.

Slightly OT, but pertaining to UMBC, is anyone planning on going to the UMBC game in Baltimore? I see that it is on a Sunday at 2:05pm, and for me, that is the last road weekend game this season (unless we find ourselves in a hostile venue the second/third weekend in March in the AE Title game).

I've never been to UMBC. Has anyone here been there? Thoughts? Suggestions? Car? Plane?

I'm recording it for the same reason. That call where the ref reacted to Spedafora (sp) falling on the ground so he turned around and called the foul on UA... if I find anything interested I'll upload it.

Archived