UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Potential Presidents interviewed today

bleedpurple101

looks like we are down to two now...

David Felten, vice president for research and medical director, Beaumont Hospitals, Royal Oak, Michigan

and

Barbara Couture, senior vice chancellor for academic affairs, University of Nebraska-Lincoln

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

David Felten, vice president for research and medical director, Beaumont Hospitals, Royal Oak, Michigan

and

Barbara Couture, senior vice chancellor for academic affairs, University of Nebraska-Lincoln

What happens if neither wants the position? Can we "draft" a president given the sheer desperation of what went wrong?

I wonder at what point this search became an ordeal? SUNY losing their chancellor? Spitzer taking over? Herbst running to Georgia? Paterson? This situation of "President-suddenly-gets-killed-and-it-takes-3-years-to-find-a-new-one" seems to be a truly unique situation that should be illegal.

and

What happens if neither wants the position? Can we "draft" a president given the sheer desperation of what went wrong?

Wouldn't you thinkthat the people dropping out are dropping out because they know they aren't the top candidates...rather than just dropping out because they aren't interested anymore. You can see it often that many organizations let the candidates pull out on their own rather than have the entity publish that they aren't contenders anymore. This way you don't piss the candidate off and allow a respectable exit from the search.

BTW: Short article on TU http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story...category=REGION

Wells no longer a candidate for Albany post

http://www.thenorthwestern.com/article/200...1987/OSHopinion

Wouldn't you thinkthat the people dropping out are dropping out because they know they aren't the top candidates...rather than just dropping out because they aren't interested anymore.

Because we are UAlbany: the school that takes close to three years to find a president after a tragic sudden death. The same school that also refused to counter-offer to its interim and let her walk when we needed a president badly. The same school whose past president put a barely used sculpture studio over overdue athletic facility improvements.

This whole ordeal can make me say that your words would hold weight in the 49 other states but not New York.

Wouldn't you thinkthat the people dropping out are dropping out because they know they aren't the top candidates...rather than just dropping out because they aren't interested anymore.

Because we are UAlbany: the school that takes close to three years to find a president after a tragic sudden death. The same school that also refused to counter-offer to its interim and let her walk when we needed a president badly. The same school whose past president put a barely used sculpture studio over overdue athletic facility improvements.

This whole ordeal can make me say that your words would hold weight in the 49 other states but not New York.

Scrabble - what is your affiliation with UA - are you an alum?

Scrabble - what is your affiliation with UA - are you an alum?

Yes. Graduated with my BA in '05 (Kermit spoke), then it was revealed that I was 2 classes short after I walked so I returned to fix that in '07 (where half the crowd, not knowing who Kermit was, laughed at a mention of him sans last name in Herbst's opening speech). Left for suburban DC just over a year ago after due to a harrowing experience working for the state and the nonexistent job market otherwise in the Capital District and I'm somewhat active with the Alumni Association's DC-area chapter.

I can safely say that in my now-home state of Maryland, that if any school in the UMD system (from College Park down to Salisbury and Frostburg State) had a president die suddenly they would NOT take nearly three years to find a replacement.

yes you are correct - there would be a President in place much more quickly. I have 2 things to add though - It took a while to find Kermit Hall - John Ryan was interim for at least a year. With out a Chancellor and the State government in shambles the UA job has not been very attractive to top candidates. There are many structural problems both at UA (power of nanotech) and with in the SUNY system (lack of autonmony at individual schools).

yes you are correct - there would be a President in place much more quickly. I have 2 things to add though - It took a while to find Kermit Hall - John Ryan was interim for at least a year.

I thought it was closer to a half-year. He came in after Hitchcock ran north of the border after 2003-04 and Kermit came in around the end of the Fall 2004 semester. That's why I think that we should have given Herbst the presidency before Georgia stole her, we dragged things for too long and we've lost because of it.

With out a Chancellor and the State government in shambles the UA job has not been very attractive to top candidates. There are many structural problems both at UA (power of nanotech) and with in the SUNY system (lack of autonmony at individual schools).

Outside of the perfect storm situation (lack of a chancellor and two administration changes at the top), how may nanotech be scaring away potential presidents? Do tell...

Down to 1 finalist but no decision? What the heck is going on?

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=782589

How did we get down to 1 finalist? What happened to the Beaumont Hospital Administrator?

How did we get down to 1 finalist? What happened to the Beaumont Hospital Administrator?

How can this be possible? If we have to start this process over....it will be a gross display of incompetence. How many years does this University have to wait for a permanent president?

How can this be possible? If we have to start this process over....it will be a gross display of incompetence. How many years does this University have to wait for a permanent president?

"In the last two years, the 18,000-student university has spent more than $300,000 to hire search firms to find new candidates "

Seems like the biggest heist of money this side of Bernie Madoff. How do you spend $300,000 over two years to get a president, and then STILL not be able to find one?? Glad to know that tuition money is being well spent....

"In the last two years, the 18,000-student university has spent more than $300,000 to hire search firms to find new candidates "

Seems like the biggest heist of money this side of Bernie Madoff. How do you spend $300,000 over two years to get a president, and then STILL not be able to find one?? Glad to know that tuition money is being well spent....

And people wonder why I'm so cynical about this search, the stadium, any pertaining to SUNY, anything pertaining to NYS government, and the overall future of the school...

I warned everyone about this back in '07...but everyone thought I was nuts then. Who's nuts now?

"Barbara Couture is Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Professor of English. She is the Chief Academic Officer at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, providing academic leadership for UNL programs in Academic Affairs and working in cooperation with the Institute for Agriculture and Natural Resources. She has held the post since Aug. 15, 2004.

At UNL, Couture has shepherded the university's decennial accreditation activities, led an ongoing academic strategic planning exercise, worked to improve undergraduate teaching in a variety of programs including the Initiative for Teaching and Learning Excellence, and championed a number of international initiatives, particularly in China.

She is chair elect of the Executive Committee for the Council on Academic Affairs for the National Association of State Universities and Land Grant Colleges.

Prior to her UNL appointment, Couture was dean of the College of Liberal Arts at Washington State University in Pullman, a post she assumed in 1998.

She earned a bachelor's degree with high distinction from the University of Michigan (1970) where she also earned master and doctor of arts degrees in English language and literature (1973, 1980). She began her academic career as an assistant professor of English at Wayne State University in Detroit in 1980, was promoted to associate professor, achieved tenure in 1986 and achieved the rank of professor in 1994. At Wayne State, she also served as an associate dean for curriculum in the College of Liberal Arts (1990-91) and associate dean for metropolitan programs and summer sessions in the College of Lifelong Learning (1993-97).

An award-winning writer, Couture received the Outstanding Book Award at the 2000 Conference on College Composition and Communication for "Toward a Phenomenological Rhetoric: Writing, Profession and Altruism." Her publications include six authored/edited books and numerous chapters and articles. Couture also sits on the editorial boards of three academic journals." courtesy: UNL

bcouture.jpg

http://www.albany.edu/presidentialsearch/a...ment_031909.php

"March 19, 2009

The SUNY Board of Trustees and I would like to take this opportunity to provide an update to the presidential search at the University at Albany. We are truly thankful to the members of the search committee, the College Council, and the University community for working so diligently and showing extreme patience throughout this long process.

Over the past few weeks, I have been in constant contact with Chancellor-elect Nancy Zimpher to conclude this search. Dr. Zimpher and members of the Chancellor's senior staff have had the opportunity to meet with the finalist candidates and discuss the next steps for the University at Albany.

We are keenly aware of the importance of this decision for the future of the University and expect to announce a final decision in the very near future.

John J, O'Connor Vice - Chancellor and Secretary of the University - Officer-in-Charge"

Let's hope the new chancellor of suny knows what she is doing.... when interviewing university presidents.

Anyone know if the members of the chancellor's senior staff are new as well? Or were they already in their positions?

I don't know who the 'source' is from the tu article, but after reading the presidential search update, I'm getting the feeling that Barbara Courture is going to be our leader. Let's hope she is aggressive in her leadership.

I haven't read all of the foregoing posts, but I hope Courture gets the job for no other reason than the fact that she experienced Ann Arbor, Michigan and Lincoln, Nebraska. Won't have to tell her twice of the importance of both academics and athletics and the seeming symbiotic relationship between the two:

"She earned a bachelor's degree with high distinction from the University of Michigan (1970) where she also earned master and doctor of arts degrees in English language and literature (1973, 1980)."

I APPROVE! :)

M GO BLUE!

Archived