UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UVM @ UAlbany

Night got off to a bad start when we got shut out of the back parking lot despite having a season pass. Not sure how that happens.

Ambrose scores 29, we shoot over 50% from three, outrebound them and lose going away. Couldn't ask for more from Barraza tonight while that was probably the toughest shooting game I've seen Brian Connelly have since he's been here. He missed a ton of shots that he usually owns.

Credit to Vermont, they played hard and knew exactly what they wanted to do out there.

Parking gets me every year. Just not a good system. I've paid for my spot. Don't let all those people in there.

Another frustrating night for the Danes. Ambrose commits two touch fouls in the first 90 seconds and sits out the half. Harris was a no show tonight. Everything was a struggle on the offensive end. The big crowd was great, but never really had a chance to erupt. Harris missed a crucial one and one when we had clawed back to within 3. Catamounts quickly got it back up to 6, and hit all there foul shots down the stretch.

Vermont played with a purpose from the opening tip, with a tenancious man to man D and some good interior passing on O.

With Vermont, Bing., and BU all winning today, UA settles into 4th place in the AE. That seems about right for this team.

Night got off to a bad start when we got shut out of the back parking lot despite having a season pass. Not sure how that happens.

Ambrose scores 29, we shoot over 50% from three, outrebound them and lose going away. Couldn't ask for more from Barraza tonight while that was probably the toughest shooting game I've seen Brian Connelly have since he's been here. He missed a ton of shots that he usually owns.

Credit to Vermont, they played hard and knew exactly what they wanted to do out there.

OT: but there was a fairly heated argument between a couple of fans in section 200. If the guy and woman involved in the argument are on this board, can you please PM me? Thanks

As an aside to the game, but there was a fairly heated argument between a couple of fans in section 200. If the guy and woman involved in the argument are on this board, can you please PM me? Thanks

Still like our chances in the tournament no matter what seed we finish in. At this point finishing 6th would probably be better than 4 or 5. Finising 6 we won't run into the 1 in the semi. Finishing 4 or 5 dont matter and you would have to face the 1.

Danepound pretty much summed up everything that went through my mind during the game. I too was shut out for the second or third time this season from the reserved parking lot, but I am eggregiously late all the time, so I deserve it. I suspect that the pass only reserves our ability to park in the lot if there is space and doesn't actually guarantee a space. Thank goodness it was warmer out tonight. Still in the 40s right now.

I enjoyed tonight's game, even though we lost, and was happy to see so many positive things. I was happy for L. Barrazza and his outstanding shootnight night, as well as for Ambrose, who must have scored pretty much all those 29 points in the second half, right (Wow)? I don't remember the first foul, but wasn't the second foul probably shouldn't even have been called, but maybe I'm not remember correctly.

But, before anyone is too tough on Timmy or another member of our defense for picking up fouls, I'll just throw out there how often Brian Lillis got those first two fouls called on him almost every single game during his junior year in particular. There were literally several games during the season where Lillis must have gotten two fouls in a minute or two. I even remember joking about an over/under as to when he would get his second foul. But look how he turned out his senior year. Incredible. I think Ambrose is doing awesome, and I bet we have yet to see some of the classic performances he will have in the future. Also, if I were out there, I'd probably pick up a cheap foul or two with the adrenaline rush and the buzz of the BPG.

Brian C. had a tough night from the field, but he battled the entire time. Brian always seems to show up and go to battle in the trenches for us, and I hope he has a great run to close out his senior year this season. Like all of our players, our seniors have really been a classy presence in this program! :)

To shoot well from 3, rebound more than UVM, and to see the other positve things mentioned herein, I too like our chances and am enjoying watching this team grow. UVM is a veteran club with a PG who is now in their school's record books. It wouldn't suprise me to seem them take it all this year; but better them than Binghamton, SB, or Boston Univ. in my opinion. Nonetheless, I suspect our guys aren't quite done yet with having a say in who win this thing!

Gotta give props to Trimboli tonight. I thought he played well, and some of his made baskets are shots you don't even see in video games or freestyle games of HORSE! It was just UVM's night.

Actually, what's interesting is that facing UVM in the second round of the Tournament ON OUR OWN COURT AGAIN might not be a bad thing at all. Assuming we made the Title game, UVM is probably the last place I'd want to play. Maybe Bingo too. I wouldn't be too fearful of a road AE Title game at Agganis, or anywhere else in the league. I say we shoot for whatever we can get, hope to get fourth, and be lucky enough to play UVM on Sunday of Tournament weekend before a packed house! And then, if we go to Bingo or Boston for the Title game, I can live with that. Excited for next year too, and this year isn't even done yet! I remind myself of how young this team is, and the players have really struck a chord with the students and fans. I heard students before the game saying "man, I gotta buy a Raffa jersey!" How very nice our program has gotten to this point! :)

How about this nice stat.

Ambrose and Barraza in 37 minutes of play 46 points, for 1.24/minute.

The rest of the team in 163 minutes of play 24 points, for 0.15/minute.

Tim also had 7 boards, 3 steals, 1 + assist. I'll give him a + for the two gifts he gave to Giff and Connelly in which they proceeded to miss the wide open layups. He also had 5 TO's. Numbers remind me of a former UA guard that had a nice career here despite being a league leader in TO's every year.

I generally agree with UAMA's take on the game. The ball was definitely bouncing UVM's way most of the night. But I also thought they were much more focused on both ends of the floor, and executed their game plan better than we did.

As for the Lillis/Ambrose comparison, Lillis definitely was prone to the two quick reach in fouls his soph and junior year. The difference is that Lillis was a role player on those teams (especially on offense). Ambrose is the primary scoring threat on this years team. We have enough trouble scoring even with Ambrose on the floor. Playing the first half without him made it extremely difficult to get good scoring opportunities. Barazza's shooting kept us in the game, but Ambrose was the one guy who could have attacked Vermont's aggressive man to man.

Lets hope for a strong finish in conference play, and we may get another crack at UVM in the AE tourney.

I remember Lillis going through a stretch like Ambrose is going through last year when he was our leading scorer. I think he went through a two or three game stretch where he picked up a couple of fouls early in the game. I almost wonder if Coach Brown will start taking Ambrose after his first foul in the next game.

I like our bench but our opponents have scouted them pretty well, especially on the perimeter. Play Johnson and Hastings to drive because they're not outside shooters, play Barraza and Allen to shoot because they're not going to put it on the floor (didn't help with Barraza too much last night.) Earlier in the season when we brought Hastings, Johnon and McRae off the bench it seemed like we went to the press to generate some offense.

I'm not as worried about who we play in the tournament as how we play. I think we have the talent to beat anyone and are erratic enough to lose to anyone.

One positive from last night. I though the new concession stand was pretty smooth considering the large crowd.

I have read alot of what has been posted on this site and other Blogs regarding the UVM game and have found them all very inciteful.

UVM deserves credit for their solid performance and as some have stated.

They ran their stuff well and got good shots, they played solid "D" and they got very good games from their top 3 Blakely, Trimboli and McIntosh.

Meanwhile we played poorly and everyone can point out our problems.

But in reality we were down three with our most consistent player on the line for a 1&1 in the waning minutes.

If one of the best teams in the conference is playing well and we're playing poorly and we're down 3 with the ball what does that say about us or them?

4 of our starters combined to shoot 7-32 for the game and as a team we shot 56% 9-16 from the FT Line in the second half ( yes we did get to the line 16 times in the 2nd half) and we still were in striking distance. UVM 18/ 22 FTs in the 2nd half with most of them coming late when we had to foul.

If (a BIG if) we can get our top three effective on the same night we could be OK come Tourney time.

I was/am very impressed with UVM but it just struck me - how inspite of all are inadequacies we hung right their with them.

Great post Patch, I've been mulling the same thing for a day or so. UVM had all of their guys healthy and playing while Timm was out the entire first half, Raffa has turf toe and is hurting and from reading today's TU blog (the latest one) Will is really suffering with the tendinitis, had a hard time stretching at the last practice. We were right there just didn't get enough down the stretch. The biggest concern right now would have to be the health of this team down the stretch. If they can all heal up we'll be in a good spot.

Patch is being nice :)

I have been far from impressed with Vermont this year (and yes, I get to see them on local TV in Boston plenty). Up until this game, Trimboli hasnt hit a big shot (credit him...he did), Blakely cant shoot outside of 15...and their bigs dont impress me. Garvey Young is ok...but not what UVM thinks they have. Dont get me wrong...they are a very good basketball team...but nowhere near a dominating power.

Honestly, their are times I am not impressed by the Danes either. Some of it is youth, some of it is bad luck, some of it is injuries and some are just bad basketball.

Losing Aronholt hurt...but it is frustrating to see what Tim can do when he concentrates, Raffa can do when his body isnt beat up and when his brain isnt going faster than his body, Louis can do when his leg doesnt hurt, Connelly can do when he isnt exhausted, and what Will can do when he is on. This team has the talent...but it is a combo of things that is putting them where they are at.

The league is better...but in someways...I think we are underachieving. That statement alone shows how far Coach hast taken us. 13-10 a few years ago we would have killed for. Talent like this...we would have killed for. But...we (Coaches, Players, and Fans) are frustrated with it now because we know what we have.

I still think we are dangerous come tourney time...and frankly...if BU doesnt get the guards going...they are beatable.

SCOTTY McRAE...really is hurting this team by not being on that floor-- you know what he needs to earn that time though.

Perhaps this team is somewhat like UVM's team a couple years ago with a young Trimboli. I believe that UVM team was the #6 seed and made it to the championship game where they lost to UAlbany in the SEFCU, sending us to our first NCAA Tourney.

Here's a thought -- rest the key guys who are hurt, and just start getting ready for the Tournament. To heck with the regular season.

All I want is the #4 or #5 seed. We play Stonybrook on Saturday on our home court and then a rematch with UVM on our home court (or maybe Boston). I'd rather play UVM ... .

Archived