UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UA Women's BBall

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone know off the top of their heads whether coaching staff salaries fall under the economic-equity rules of Title IX? I would think not ... .

Not as far I know. Title IX is about access to educational opportunities (including intercollegiate athletics). I don't think coaching salaries play a part in that analysis.

Honestly I don't think women's coaches make that much money unless your at a BCS school. She surely cant be getting paid what Will Brown is being paid so im not sure the economy is on the mind of McElroy when he has to do the programs port-mortem.

I don't think the program should go with a proven winner as even coach Patterson had a 20 win season to her credit. They should be looking for that eager assistant that is looking for his/her shot at head coaching. Shea Ralph and Jamelle Elliot are names that could fit that role perfectly and might find it intriguing to coach against a former husky.

Honestly, if we did fire her and went bargain basement to get a coach could it get any worse? I could coach them and Ill get you three wins.

Go look at Trina's record at William and Mary-- she is far from a proven winner. She had one 20 win season with someone elses recruits. She had a ton of well...well....south of .500 seasons. Sounds familiar.

Worst Hire...and Worst Extension in McElroy's tenure.

Agree....She did not come here with a great track record for success. Any success she has had has been with players recruited by prior regimes. Also--look at the staff turnover. I think that speaks for itself.

Agree....She did not come here with a great track record for success. Any success she has had has been with players recruited by prior regimes.

I don't think that's entirely true. Higy, Sanders, and Mikus played a big role in last year's team, which remember was 10-6 in America East, and I think they all came after Coach Patterson came on board. Patterson came to UA in 02-03, so this is her seventh season.

From the media guide, under Warner the first year of AE the record was 0-16, then under Patterson its been 3-13, 9-9, 9-9, 3-13, 4-12, 10-6 leading up to this season.

That said, as I started this thread, it's painful to watch this team.

I'm not saying she was Pat Summit before she got here but she did have a winning season so if shows she was capable and did just enough to keep her job here and that's it.

If everyone is so worried about cost (only when it comes to women's basketball I guess) why not just promote an assistant. Give Dani a shot. I always thought she would make a good coach. Why not, what do we have to lose and honestly can it get any worse?

They are 3-21 and 329 in the RPI (only 12 spots to go!). Talk of a coaching move being premature? I'm sorry you may be willing to see this program go down in flames but I'm not.

Obviously Dani is probably years away from being a head coach. However, my whole point is this can't get any worse. We've hit rock bottom here. There are two other assistants that maybe ready to take over as well. We really have nothing to lose.

If money is an issue I wonder if there is a buyout clause in the contract or any other performance based clause that could allow the University an out here. If not, go with an interim coach (one of the current assistants) next year and see how things go then go after an experienced coach.

I am not at all implying that a coaching change isnt needed. I do feel it is, however I believe that she will be allowed to finish out her contract. I for one prefer to talk of these things out of season. Wether the reults are what we would like or not I am sure that all folks associated with the team are more disapointed with the outcomes than we are.

Despite what many view as a lack of good recruiting, I do think the team has a couple good younger players. One of the freshman, Tabitha Makopondo, has been great in conference play (averaging 6 boards in AE play) and was 1 rebound shy of a double-double a couple games ago. Then their leading scorer, Janea Aiken, is only a sophomore and was on the All-Rookie Team last year and is 7th in the conference in scoring this year. So there are a couple bright spots.

Despite what many view as a lack of good recruiting, I do think the team has a couple good younger players. One of the freshman, Tabitha Makopondo, has been great in conference play (averaging 6 boards in AE play) and was 1 rebound shy of a double-double a couple games ago. Then their leading scorer, Janea Aiken, is only a sophomore and was on the All-Rookie Team last year and is 7th in the conference in scoring this year. So there are a couple bright spots.

I absolutely agree! This is a very young team!

Based on the few games that I've seen over the past two seasons, and as to some of the younger players, I was very impressed by the play that I saw last year of Kim Clements, and I was also impressed by who appeared to be our principal PG against UVM at home this year, and whose name I have drawn a blank for at the moment (not as tall as many of the other players, but explosive and quick, and very exciting to watch; also seemed to have a quick release on her shot); I think I remember it being Ford because I recall looking in the program and noticing the redshirting last year.

Based on the few games that I've seen over the past two seasons, and as to some of the younger players, I was very impressed by the play that I saw last year of Kim Clements, and I was also impressed by who appeared to be our principal PG against UVM at home this year, and whose name I have drawn a blank for at the moment (not as tall as many of the other players, but explosive and quick, and very exciting to watch; also seemed to have a quick release on her shot); I think I remember it being Ford because I recall looking in the program and noticing the redshirting last year.

And how good are these players in relation to their peers? By default somebody will always have to get some sort of numbers, but the one that has always stood out in the Trina era is wins and losses.

And how good are these players in relation to their peers? By default somebody will always have to get some sort of numbers, but the one that has always stood out in the Trina era is wins and losses.

I totally agree...........when will Dr. McElroy take the step to turn this around!

Archived