UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Seriously Binghamton??

. . . With regard to the oft Bing fan reference to UA as "Safety School", let's see, Mayben can't make the grade at his old high school and gets kicked out, can't meet the academic threshhold for Syracuse (not exactly noted for selectivity when it comes to the intellect of basketball recruits), and can't hack the academics at UMass. Still he is making the grade at BUTT. I guess that makes BUTT the safety school for guys that can't make it at any of the aforementioned schools.

I'm really glad I'm associated with UA and not BUNY. In regard to their claim of academic superiority and general cockiness, what are the chances of your being pummeled almost to death by a UA men's basketball player? What are the chances that someone else from the team will knock you down while you're shopping at a local store? And what percentage of possibility that a UA coach will punch you after a game at SEFCU? After the foregoing incidents at another SUNY institution, I really appreciate being called a "safety school."

We all know---Broadus is a hoodlum, and his staff are hoodlums too.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let me say this one more time........

.....as are many of his players.

I grew up not all that far from Binghamton, but it wasn't so close either.

Anyway, I looked at my hometown newspaper this morning online and saw that the big headline was the story about how the Bing U's men's basketball team had secured a berth in the NCAA Tournament for the first time. The article gave few details of how the team had fared this season.

In the few personal comments that were included with the article, I saw this statement: "Funny. They were talking on the local radio station here in Greensboro this morning how Binghamton should have been banned from the tourney because of three arrests of their starters in the last year. Then I come here to read the paper and see the picture, they're all dressed in prison issue!!"

I wasn't sure the Bing U story would range so far. Now I'm really sorry that our SUNY brethren are representing our conference at the tourament. I'm sure there will be more public comments to the nation to follow about this story. I felt pretty restrained about making comments about the story on the AE board, partly out of fear of being labeled a poor loser, but now I am more convinced than ever that this team is really not the best team to send from our conference. I'm wondering if any action will be taken in the off season by the league to shape the league a little more.

By the way, I haven't seen many comments on this aspect of league history, so I'll make my comment here now. I find it a travesty that Kevin Broadus was named Coach of the Year. Not only has a relatively high percentage of the team members received negative publicity in the last two seasons, but he did inherit a decent base of players from Al Walker. Compare this situation where Will Brown was denied the honor, despite the fact that he personally built a two-time NCAA participant from the ashes of a 5-23 team. And no big scandals about any players on his team. The discrepancy is so glaring to me.

I don't want to start unnecessary controversy, but does anyone feel the same way I do?

Let me say this one more time........

.....as are many of his players.

Anyway, I looked at my hometown newspaper this morning online and saw that the big headline was the story about how the Bing U's men's basketball team had secured a berth in the NCAA Tournament for the first time. The article gave few details of how the team had fared this season.

In the few personal comments that were included with the article, I saw this statement: "Funny. They were talking on the local radio station here in Greensboro this morning how Binghamton should have been banned from the tourney because of three arrests of their starters in the last year. Then I come here to read the paper and see the picture, they're all dressed in prison issue!!"

I wasn't sure the Bing U story would range so far. Now I'm really sorry that our SUNY brethren are representing our conference at the tourament. I'm sure there will be more public comments to the nation to follow about this story. I felt pretty restrained about making comments about the story on the AE board, partly out of fear of being labeled a poor loser, but now I am more convinced than ever that this team is really not the best team to send from our conference. I'm wondering if any action will be taken in the off season by the league to shape the league a little more.

By the way, I haven't seen many comments on this aspect of league history, so I'll make my comment here now. I find it a travesty that Kevin Broadus was named Coach of the Year. Not only has a relatively high percentage of the team members received negative publicity in the last two seasons, but he did inherit a decent base of players from Al Walker. Compare this situation where Will Brown was denied the honor, despite the fact that he personally built a two-time NCAA participant from the ashes of a 5-23 team. And no big scandals about any players on his team. The discrepancy is so glaring to me.

I don't want to start unnecessary controversy, but does anyone feel the same way I do?

Yes, I've had many of the same thoughts you expressed in your post. I've probably been more vocal then most on the subject and I probably should STFU....but I can't understand the vote for COY especially since there was obviously allot of displeasure with Bing, Rivera being left off the first team etc.

In the few personal comments that were included with the article, I saw this statement: "Funny. They were talking on the local radio station here in Greensboro this morning how Binghamton should have been banned from the tourney because of three arrests of their starters in the last year. Then I come here to read the paper and see the picture, they're all dressed in prison issue!!

I agree with you olddog. I'm really surprised that the league hasn't made more of an issue out of Bing and their coach and "student athletes". Unfortunatley this stuff goes on all over the country as well.

Supposedly they guy who wrote the Times article on them will be on Outside the Lines at 3 today to discuss them...

I'm really intersted to see how Kornheiser treats the issue - if at all. He's a Bing alumn and it would be a telling sign, to me at least, if he doesn't pump them up huge on his show. He's done it in the past (when the beat UNC a few years ago), so if he doesn't do it now, it could be seen as a protest of the situation.

Supposedly they guy who wrote the Times article on them will be on Outside the Lines at 3 today to discuss them...

And so it begins. That guy (Thamel) will make the rounds on these sort of programs up until Bing's game against Duke. Ironically enough, I bet you Thamel was rotting for Bing against UMBC as hard as anyone, since he certainly benefits from the additional Bing exposure. Unfortunately, the AE in general does not.

Duke is going to hammer them and still nobody will know who or what a Binghamton is. They need toughen up their OOC schedule if they want to be taken seriously.

It would help if the 4 SUNY Centers played in different conferences... ala Florida style

NC/SOS 273 :o Bing has done absolutely nothing to prepare themselves for the type of environment/opponent they will see in Duke.

I'm gonna tune in on Thursday! I'll be very surprised if Bing keeps it within 15 (I think they'll get beat by 20) , what we did in our first appearance is not the norm. Most teams that go in for the first time get shelled especially a 15 seed.

Duke is going to hammer them and still nobody will know who or what a Binghamton is. They need toughen up their OOC schedule if they want to be taken seriously.

It would help if the 4 SUNY Centers played in different conferences... ala Florida style

ATL,

I think you are correct about the eventual outcome. Playing the like of Mansfield State is not going to prepare Bing for Duke.

I just don't want the AE to be associated with Bing'a antics and have the league become infamous.

NC/SOS 273 :o Bing has done absolutely nothing to prepare themselves for the type of environment/opponent they will see in Duke.

I'm gonna tune in on Thursday! I'll be very surprised if Bing keeps it within 15 (I think they'll get beat by 20) , what we did in our first appearance is not the norm. Most teams that go in for the first time get shelled especially a 15 seed.

My prediction is that they getted bombed by 35+

I'm on the same page as msgdg, this will be the only time I pull for Duke in any sport.

I hope they sink bingo by 50+

Archived