UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Raffa Rumor

Here is my two cents: I don't think the kids that Coach is recruiting are mentally tough enough to take the "tough love" style that he gives. People like Jamar, Brian Lillis, and Brian Connelly thrived from the pressure and intensity coach brought on a day to day basis. I personally think that the kids that Coach is bringing in that are transferring just aren't mentally ready to take that kind of challenge. I'm not pointing fingers in either direction here as to who is right or who is wrong, it just is what it is.

BTW...I hope this is the end of the off season transfer carousel for UA, but I get the feeling it's just the beginning...Let's hope not

I agree, but whose shoulders does that fall on? Has to be on Coach Brown right? Its his program.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has to be the result of something big...Raffa was perhaps the biggest cog on which to build on for the future.

I hope for the best for the kid...but I hope he doesnt pull a Jack McClinton and end up at like St. Johns and lead the Big East in scoring or something

This has to be the result of something big...Raffa was perhaps the biggest cog on which to build on for the future.

I hope for the best for the kid...but I hope he doesnt pull a Jack McClinton and end up at like St. Johns and lead the Big East in scoring or something

you mean Siena to Miama not St. Johns?

you mean Siena to Miama not St. Johns?

I mean I'm aware McClinton went to Miami from Siena...But the article thats been floating around suggests he wants to go closer to home...which is Jersey. Its the concept that Raffa will transfer to a major conference team and then play really well.

Alright well I gave it some thought and I think there were a few reasons why he (Raffa) might have left.

1) Playing time was going to be cut next year. I think we all can agree that in the last six games of the season Johnson did a better job with ball control, and getting other players involved. It is because of those reasons that Johnson probably would have started at PG next year and Raffa would have come off the bench.

2) Raffa didn't want to play SG and come off the bench. Raffa played the PG in High School and Prep School. He was also the starting PG in both HS and PS; so, when CB told the TU that Raffa might be moved to the SG it most likely didn't sit well with him because, he likes to play the PG, and he knows that the starting SG position is Ambroses.

3) Raffa attitude didn't mesh well with the team and coaches. It has been documented that Anthony was a bit of a hot head and likes to do his own thing. This was often seen on the court several posters have already commented on his attitude. If it was visible on the court it most likely was evident in the locker room.

4) Raffa might be looking to move up to a better conference or maybe he is home sick. It should be interesting where he lands. I doubt it is home sickness because he did prep a year in New England. Raffa might be looking try his hand in a higher conference but personally I think the best he can do is maybe the NEC with Monmouth or St. Peters in the MAAC will see.

My last thought on this latest departure is that Raffa and possibly McCray might be addition be subtraction. Perhaps we can find another PG and PF who might be a better fit with the current team. This also might open up playing time for the new recruits, as well as Aronhalt and Lindfors as Red Shirt Freshmen.

In any event we still have our top two scorers back for next year and the PG and C positions seem set with Johnson and Gifford. The important thing now is to get two recruits that can fit the system and improve the players we now have.

Alright well I gave it some thought and I think there were a few reasons why he (Raffa) might have left.

1) Playing time was going to be cut next year. I think we all can agree that in the last six games of the season Johnson did a better job with ball control, and getting other players involved. It is because of those reasons that Johnson probably would have started at PG next year and Raffa would have come off the bench.

2) Raffa didn't want to play SG and come off the bench. Raffa played the PG in High School and Prep School. He was also the starting PG in both HS and PS; so, when CB told the TU that Raffa might be moved to the SG it most likely didn't sit well with him because, he likes to play the PG, and he knows that the starting SG position is Ambroses.

3) Raffa attitude didn't mesh well with the team and coaches. It has been documented that Anthony was a bit of a hot head and likes to do his own thing. This was often seen on the court several posters have already commented on his attitude. If it was visible on the court it most likely was evident in the locker room.

4) Raffa might be looking to move up to a better conference or maybe he is home sick. It should be interesting where he lands. I doubt it is home sickness because he did prep a year in New England. Raffa might be looking try his hand in a higher conference but personally I think the best he can do is maybe the NEC with Monmouth or St. Peters in the MAAC will see.

My last thought on this latest departure is that Raffa and possibly McCray might be addition be subtraction. Perhaps we can find another PG and PF who might be a better fit with the current team. This also might open up playing time for the new recruits, as well as Aronhalt and Lindfors as Red Shirt Freshmen.

In any event we still have our top two scorers back for next year and the PG and C positions seem set with Johnson and Gifford. The important thing now is to get two recruits that can fit the system and improve the players we now have.

I think you make some viable points with the fact Raffa has always been a pg and about his playing time. Raffa probably thinks he should be a starter (and he could start on many D1 programs). To say he was a hand full in the locker room might be going a little too far out on a limb IMO. No one on this board truly understands how the team is behind closed doors, so I think its very difficult to gauge in a situation like this. The only thing I saw with Raffa was that he played at full speed, 110% whenever he was on the court, and that he got really banged up. I viewed him as a key to the future, someone who a team could be built around. When he played well, so did the rest of the team. Its a huge loss for the program...probably the biggest transfer in this revolving door that Brown's tenure has become.

On a side note, do we really know anything about the McRae situation beyond that he was suspended for the rest of the season. I know is has been said he has attitude problems, but all Brown has addressed the situation with is ambiguity. I wish we could have some closure on that.

As for next year, I think this team looks solid with Johnson running the point, though I would prefer if we played Lindfors up front instead of Gifford. Gifford is a good kid, and he made tremendous strides this year, but I still see him as nothing more than a situational defender and a senior who can offer a ton as goes senior leadership.

I DO NOT think Raffa can play in the Big East. I think he thinks he is better than he really is. I wish he would've stayed but we just need to move on and find a replacement. I never really liked his chatter on the court. When guys do that stuff on the opposing team it really makes people dislike them.

We really shouldn't be making it about Raffa that much....he helped us win some good games...Bing, UVM etc. IMO, the coaching staff couldn't promise him the starting PG spot, let's face it he was not a PG and he want's to be a PG so he's going to pursue that passion somewhere else. I wish him the best of luck and hopefully he can find his spot where he and the coach he plays for are happy. We waited for this kid for two years, a year when he initially signed and then another year of prep. IT didn't work out! I guess that's why I'm so disappointed, we waited for a long time for this kid and the whole thing just feels woefully inadequate. He has a good deal of talent...maybe not PG but still he has allot of talent, now he's taking that talent somewhere else.

I have been publicly concerned for some time now with the amount of kids transferring and have been killed about my concern on this board. You can't keep rolling in a recruiting class of 5, 6 or 7 kids every year and that's what we've done over the last 2 or 3 years and expect some kind of continuity. As seniors graduate the juniors and sophomores should be taking over. I fully understand that not all kids are willing to sit and wait their turn, some kids think they are better then they are and demand starter minutes etc. If the kid want's more playing time then what can CB or any coach do other then wish them luck and help them find a spot like he did for most of the kids who've left. That however doesn't help us with our dilemma....pending what else happens this off season we are looking at a transfer rate or 3+ over the last 3 season....probably close to 3.5+. Any way you slice it...that's to many!

After this latest incident, along with McRae, it certainly makes one wonder if there are institutional problems. Coach certainly liked to rip him part with regularity. That might not have sat well with Raffa.

Raffa certainly had attitude. Sometimes good, sometimes not so good. I didn't like the outbursts of bad language that I heard a few times. But, I loved the energy.

I totally agree, he knows he would come off the bench next year, with Johnson being a true point guard and doing a great job at the ed of the season. His playing time would be cut.

The last month or so, seeing him in his warmups on the bench or in street clothes, he didn't look interested or involved, especially in the huddles.

Raffa was exactly where he was meant to be... in an average, mid major program. No way in hell does he belong in a high major program, especially a big east type of program. I was thinking the same thing, probably a place like Monmouth in NJ would be his best bet. Closer to S Jersey and his parents could see him play. Maybe Coach Brown pissed him off to the point where he'll try to transfer to Binghamton umbc, or SBU.

It is shocking that he would leave, seeing that he'll have to sit out another year.

Unless I'm completely out of my mind, I think there is an additional wait if he were to transfer within the conference.

And no...he is not a BE caliber talent...maybe ever so slightly higher but not anywhere near BE.....again, good luck to him, he gave us much to cheer for early on in the year.

Do you guys not see an instituational problem here though?

Regardless of the on-court ramifications of this. Look beyond that. Do you see a problem?

2005-2006: The first tourney team; One player (Graham) did not graduate (Bauman graduated early.)

2006-2007: Four players on the team (Ross, Yocum, Anderson, Knight) did not graduate. (Walk-On James is ignored.) Gifford is the only player left that can graduate.

2007-2008: Four players on the team (Martin, Turley, Anderson (again), Moores) did not graduate. Gifford, Ambrose, and Allen are the only players left that can graduate.

2008-2009: One player (so far) will not be graduating. With McCrae and Barraza rumors circulating, the number may grow.

With 1/3 of the roster turning over each year (in recent years), yes, I do see a problem.

Unless I'm completely out of my mind, I think there is an additional wait if he were to transfer within the conference.

And no...he is not a BE caliber talent...maybe ever so slightly higher but not anywhere near BE.....again, good luck to him, he gave us much to cheer for early on in the year.

If a player transfers in conference, he has to sit out a year, PLUS lose a year of eligibility...I highly doubt CB pissed him off THAT much lol

Archived