UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

volleyball transfer to Dayton - Cowdrey

If life is all based on money, then I guess it's fine.

I guess committment means nothing in the 21st century.

Professional sports is a good example. A contract means NADA, and committment means even less.

In Amanda's case, I guess I could see her reasoning but....

I'd prefer seeing a student athlete honor a committment to the university that

gave them their initial opportunity. Or, I'd like to see the NCAA MAKE student athletes honor their

committment, if they themselves can't muster up the courage to do so.

They all know going in that a coach could be gone

at any time.

Yeah, but you are almost describing indentured servitude. She honored her committment to the University. She played while she was on scholarship. She decided to transfer. Kids transfer all the time for reasons other than athletics.

You are right - they all know their coach can be gone at any time. They also know that if that coach leaves they are free to leave as well.

I'm having a hard time understanding the argument that football and basketball should be treated differently.

I do believe that the NCAA has it correct implementing the rule for those 2 sports, but I believe it should apply to all D1 sports.

Programs go through alot of time and money recruiting. They make a commit to these high schoolers.

If Amanda received a scholarship, then I think she should sit out a year for transfering.

If a player is recruited and receives a scholarship, and later they decide to transfer out..... I believe it's only fair to apply the rule to everyone in D1. And if there is reason why the rule should be waived for a particular player, there is already a system in place to evaluate the circumstance.

I'm not saying they should be forced to stay with the original program.

As for the current football and basketball rule, I assume it does NOT apply to non-scholarship athletes playing on these programs who wish to transfer, correct?

If life is all based on money, then I guess it\'s fine.

I guess committment means nothing in the 21st century.

Professional sports is a good example. A contract means NADA, and committment means even less.

In Amanda\'s case, I guess I could see her reasoning but....

I\'d prefer seeing a student athlete honor a committment to the university that

gave them their initial opportunity. Or, I\'d like to see the NCAA MAKE student athletes honor their

committment, if they themselves can\'t muster up the courage to do so.

They all know going in that a coach could be gone

at any time.

Yeah, but you are almost describing indentured servitude. She honored her committment to the University. She played while she was on scholarship. She decided to transfer. Kids transfer all the time for reasons other than athletics.

You are right - they all know their coach can be gone at any time. They also know that if that coach leaves they are free to leave as well.

I\'m having a hard time understanding the argument that football and basketball should be treated differently.

I do believe that the NCAA has it correct implementing the rule for those 2 sports, but I believe it should apply to all D1 sports.

Programs go through alot of time and money recruiting. They make a commit to these high schoolers.

If Amanda received a scholarship, then I think she should sit out a year for transfering.

If a player is recruited and receives a scholarship, and later they decide to transfer out..... I believe it\'s only fair to apply the rule to everyone in D1. And if there is reason why the rule should be waived for a particular player, there is already a system in place to evaluate the circumstance.

I\'m not saying they should be forced to stay with the original program.

As for the current football and basketball rule, I assume it does NOT apply to non-scholarship athletes playing on these programs who wish to transfer, correct?

The way it works in 4year to 4year transfer is this:

The basic rule is that if you transfer you have to sit a year.

If you have never transferred before from a four-year school, you might be able to use the one-time transfer exception to play right away at a Division I or II school.

To use this exception, you must:

1. Be playing a sport other than basketball in Division I, men's ice hockey in Division I or football in Division I.

Note that in football you may be eligible to use this exception if:

a. You transfer from a Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly Division I-A) school to a football championship subdivision (formerly Division I-AA) school and have at least two seasons of competition remaining; or

b. You transfer from a football championship subdivision (formerly I-AA) school that offers athletics scholarships to a football championship subdivision (formerly Division I-AA) that does not offer athletics scholarships.

Note: If you do not qualify for this exception due to any of the conditions in Subsection 1 above, you may be able to use the exception if you were not recruited by your first four-year school and have never received an athletics scholarship.

Important Note: If you play Division I baseball, you will not be eligible to use this exception after August 1, 2008

2. Be in good academic standing and making progress toward your degree;

3. Have been considered eligible if you had stayed in your first school; and

4. Have a written release agreement from your first school saying that it does not object to your receiving an exception to the transfer residence requirement.

I believe the football and basketball rules are in place to prevent other schools and coaches from "poaching" high profile atheletes in high profile revenue sports. The thinking is that this practice is likely to be more prevelant and malicious in the high profile sports (basketball and football). These sports are businesses in a lot of cases. They make money.

here is an NCAA brochure on it

Archived