UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Does anyone have a hanky they can give Mark?

The other tack UA could take on favorable journalistic coverage would be to borrow a page from Siena's book. Many Saints fans didn't like the publicity they were receiving in the Schenectady Gazette a few years ago, so they put a lot of pressure on the Siena beat writer to be "relieved" of his position. Maybe that's the "relief" UA fans should seek.

There might be some pages I'd like to borrow from Siena's book but that isn't one of them. I'm not advocating for anyone to lose their job, especially the ways things are right now.

I've been a fan of Coach Brown since day one but I'd call this one a double technical on both parties. For better or worse, talking to the media is part of his job. Probably not his favorite part, but still a part. I talk to a lot of clients every day that I'd much rather not talk but it comes with the territory.

It goes without saying I don't like the blog entry. It's not likely to improve anything and will probably makes things worse if that's possible . As a fan I'd like as much info as I can get and I think we're the ones who are missing out in this exchange.

To Soup, I generally enjoy reading your posts but if you keep using expressions like the one you used earlier the Soup era will not end well on this board.

Or this one.... UAlbany athletics second-to-last in America East GPA it's fine that he reported the facts, it is what it is but what....Ualbany 8th in America East GPA not descriptive enough.

He also said the basketball team finished 2nd. Not sure what the big deal is.

There is blame, I assume, on both sides of this. It was funny to me to see the two blog entries today - they were both, for the most part, daggers.

I.

I concur completely in DanePound's post above. Moreover, I do think Mark S. could have conveyed the same message without actually stating his conclusions and views in that blog entry. In other words, he could have simply stated that he has not been able to contact Coach Brown in "x" amount of time, etc., The conclusions that followed could have easily been drawn by the reader. Nonetheless ... see below points II and III.

II.

As to the article on GPA, I have no issue with it. The article stated facts that, I, for one, am interested in learning about. And the article noted with bold emphasis the fact that UAlbany basketball nearly finished first. Given that the blog postings are usually basketball-related, I simply don't have a problem with the article. Yes, the article could have used the phrase "finished 8th" instead of "finished second to last," etc. Nevertheless, isn't this simply a matter of style in the final analysis? The vast majority of readers on that blog know how many teams are in the America East, so I just don't take issue with how Mark S. phrased it.

III.

As to the blog entry by Mark S. of this week, I first note that I respectfully disagree with a lot of the unconstructive criticism going around by (and regarding) all persons (perhaps even by me in the past). Though, as I pointed out in "I," and as DP already eluded to above, I think the same message could have been conveyed in Mark S.'s blog entry in a much more subtle manner.

Second, I just want to state that I enjoy reading Mark S.'s blog entries; enjoy reading whatever information the Times Union provides regarding UAlbany athletics in general (including the basketball team); and I very much enjoy reading Coach Brown's blog entries on his website. In fact, part of my daily ritual, so to speak, is to check the aforementioned sources to see whether there are any updates (I do so daily!).

Finally, as to criticism of the Times Union and its writers, I wouldn't be the person to ask as to the nature and quality of their coverage, as others here can provide a more informed view (unfortunately, most likely only after expounding paragraphs of venomous diatribe). But it seems to me that a lot of the negativity expressed (i.e., "Times Useless" and even the caption/title of this thread) --- whether justified or not --- is probably not the best way to proceed.

Where am I going wrong?

You aren't wrong, however many of us have a different view of it than you do because you have not been around the Capital District long enough. Bing THAT...I will not apologize nor kiss the ass of the TU...it is a rag. As an academic, I am shocked you dont see the cowtowing to Siena. I have been associated with UA for 18 years now. THE TU HAS REGULARLY LOOKED TO KNOCK DOWN UA...and EVEN MORE SO WITH THE TUC NAMING RIGHTS.

Frankly speaking...MARK IS NOT A GOOD REPORTER. He has pissed off numerous people...is lazy with his research...and covers the UA programs as he pleases. Tell me a comparision article showing that Albany, finishing with a 2.92 in the America East, is still above average and...moreso...that if you compare the academics of similarly situated leagues...finishing 8th in the AE is still something to be proud of, wouldn't have been a better article. It would have shown we have work to do to finish at top of the AE (negative because our grades are at the bottom) but we are still doing better than our peers (positive).

Furthermore, he could have went on to do a demographic study.

Bottom line-- IT WAS LAZY REPORTING. Fact is, a monkey could get facts and put it on paper. YOU WOULD BE FIRED AS A LAWYER IF YOU DIDNT STATE FACTS AND USED THE WORD "BECAUSE" AT LEAST 50 TIMES IN A DAY.

Mark isnt reporting-- he is regurgitating.

WELL DONE (insert sarcasm) MARK. So, that is where we (UA_MA and I) differ on the subject.

I

D96,

You claim that my apparently uninformed (or at least differing) views stem from this: "You aren't wrong, however many of us have a different view of it than you do because you have not been around the Capital District long enough."

Given your allegation that Mark S. does poor research (a claim that I do not state, claim, or have a position on), and given your (pedagogical?) claim that a lawyer must pay particular attention to facts, I simply note that I have actually lived in the Capital District since 1986 on a permanent basis, save 2.0 years at Buffalo and 1.5 years in the midwest.

Moreover, I am not sure what duration of residence in this area has to do with the ability to view the issues discussed herein objectively (i.e., 5 years versus 10 years, or 20 years?), especially in the digital age. Indeed, several frequent posters on this forum live in other states. Indeed, do you currently live in Albany or the Albany region? How many years have you spent in Albany since it went Division I? I thought you had spent a great deal of time in various cities, including the state of MA? No?

Next, I don't believe I stated a position as to whether or not the TU favors Siena or "cowtow" to them. Absent me stating a position on this, I fail to see how you could be shocked in the manner you claim.

The rest of your post speaks for itself, so I will leave you with the feeling of being "shocked" regarding what you allege.

I do like how you referenced monkeys in your post. As you might conclude from my avatar, I like monkeys (though I would not actually battle them were said monkeys living in my apartment unlawfully (it is not legal to own a pet monkey in most states, including New York)).

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mistake...the way you spoke over the years...i thought you lived in Michigan MUCH longer.

Unlike Mark, i can admit mistakes.

That being said, then I am EVEN MORE SHOCKED AT YOUR VIEWS. I have read the Times Union since 1992...whether on line or here. It has nailed UA left and right over that time...while basically kissing Siena's ass. Hey, RPI should gripe as well in my opinion.

All I know...the TU is sucking on the WRONG TEET.

And for the record...I SPEND plenty of time in the CD all year long...plenty. Whether it is visiting family, the school or our family farmhouse.

My mistake...the way you spoke over the years...i thought you lived in Michigan MUCH longer.

I'm impressed that you remembered my raving of Michigan; good memory! I suppose it's because I have posted of my fondness for the maize and blue. Sadly, I left Ann Arbor in the third grade, but I love Albany and am glad to be here. OT, but if UAlbany and Michigan ever played in a sport (I think we competed against them in, perhaps, women's volleyball at some point? I don't recall ... ), my heart would be torn, but I'd be cheering for the purple and gold!

Unlike Mark, i can admit mistakes.

That being said, then I am EVEN MORE SHOCKED AT YOUR VIEWS. I have read the Times Union since 1992...whether on line or here. It has nailed UA left and right over that time...while basically kissing Siena's ass. Hey, RPI should gripe as well in my opinion.

All I know...the TU is sucking on the WRONG TEET.

And for the record...I SPEND plenty of time in the CD all year long...plenty. Whether it is visiting family, the school or our family farmhouse.

Bias: "particular tendency or inclination, esp. one that prevents unprejudiced consideration of a question; prejudice" Dictionary.com: bias

Animus: "strong dislike or enmity; hostile attitude; animosity" Dictionary.com: Animus

D96,

I still am at a loss as to why my posts "shock" you. As an "academic," as you put it, all I am urging those interested in this issue to do is be objective and inform us as to where the line is between (1) bias and animus on the behalf of the TU towards UA and (2) the TU's right and responsibility to the public to report both negative and positive stories about UAlbany, Siena, or any other local school.

Look, I don't like it anymore than you when the TU reports negatively on our school. You claim that the TU is clearly biased and prejudice (I know you didn't use those words, but I think they safely characterize some of the views about the TU expressed herein) towards UAlbany. All I am asking either you or other posters who feel the same is to tell the rest of us when the point is where a news source like the TU shifts from fair reporting to exhibiting an "inclination . . . that prevents unprejudiced consideration of a question" or demonstrates a "strong dislike or enmity" or "hostile attitude" towards UAlbany.

So, where is THAT line drawn? Ok, I understand you're "shocked." I am not trying to shock you, and I certainly do not want to defend the TU or its writers. But I do want to be fair, objective, reasonable, and search for the basis for these conclusions that some posters (and maybe even I) have.

I ask for some objectivity and reasoning behind the claims especially because there are some fairly harsh and probably hurtful statements made about Mark S. and the TU.

I'm not saying I disagree with you, but I will keep an open mind. Reading posts that make fun and degrade the TU and its writers makes us look bad if it's not backed up with reasoning. The comments left on the TU website directed at Mark S. are repulsive, regardless of whatever one may think as to whether he deserves to be noted as an elite American reporter or not.

Finally, keep in mind that I WANT to agree wiht you, and what I'm doing is asking you to help me get to that point in a logical manner.

Some of you guys are not being 100% honest with yourself if you think this is 100% the Times Union's fault. Seriously.

Really , Soup do who fault is it that The TU either provides excess negative coverage of Albany or neglects to cover news worthy positive events while on more than one occasion printing a press release found on the Siena website and trying passing it off as legitimate news. The have been numerous examples provided here over the years.

I get it you are a Siena fan, you like the TU coverage of your team and you don't like Will Brown.

Some of you guys are not being 100% honest with yourself if you think this is 100% the Times Union's fault. Seriously. - soup

Seriously, I am not 100% sure of anything - except you're a $iena guy so why not stay on your board and stroke your buddies rather then come here and agitate.

Fans look through tinted glasses more often then not and that goes for Great Danes and $iena Devils.

Do you forget about the coverage when Lanier was on the bench? It was the same type of coverage Albany received - underachieving teams, hard time scoring points, runninng players off left and right. You have a short memory.

Here is the problem - Brown was coming off Jamar's senior year and back-to-back NCAA Tournament appearances - with exceptional coverage from every media outlet in the Capital District. Now, Siena has gone out of the stratosphere - back-to-back NCAA wins, preseason Top 25 in every publication imaginable, exceptional recruiting classes, wins over top teams etc etc. I think Will Brown, over the last year or so, has realized that he completely botched his recruiting and never took advantage of the success he had two or three years ago. That run should have set Albany up for a multiple year run - but it didn't. I think Brown got away from recruiting key areas of the northeast and started bringing in kids from the midwest - just seems like those kids don't fit with the northeast, and I think that has gotten Brown in trouble.

You guys have a short memory - Brown has a lot of charisma, which he used well 3 years ago....but he's also a tempermental jerk.

He's playing 2nd fiddle to Fran, getting blown out of the water locally and nationally by the other program, he signed a huge deal two years ago and hasn't performed, he's had EPIC turnover from his players...EPIC, and he's looking down the barrel of two more years of mediocre, at best, seasons. I'd be irritated, too. However, Brown needs to do a better job with not only Singelais, but also the guys at the local TV stations.

Singelais has put up with more $hit from the Albany basketball staff than you guys know about - and it's been going on for nearly two years. You guys complain about "no coverage" - but that falls on the Albany basketball staff and the SID. Now, I'm not a fan of Singelais' recent posts - but I find them to be funny - only because the level of douchiness out of the Albany basketball offices has brought it to that level.

Will Brown is feeling the heat and he's letting it effect his dealings with the media - that's the root cause of the issue.

Do you forget about the coverage when Lanier was on the bench? It was the same type of coverage Albany received - underachieving teams, hard time scoring points, runninng players off left and right. You have a short memory.

Here is the problem - Brown was coming off Jamar's senior year and back-to-back NCAA Tournament appearances - with exceptional coverage from every media outlet in the Capital District. Now, Siena has gone out of the stratosphere - back-to-back NCAA wins, preseason Top 25 in every publication imaginable, exceptional recruiting classes, wins over top teams etc etc. I think Will Brown, over the last year or so, has realized that he completely botched his recruiting and never took advantage of the success he had two or three years ago. That run should have set Albany up for a multiple year run - but it didn't. I think Brown got away from recruiting key areas of the northeast and started bringing in kids from the midwest - just seems like those kids don't fit with the northeast, and I think that has gotten Brown in trouble.

You guys have a short memory - Brown has a lot of charisma, which he used well 3 years ago....but he's also a tempermental jerk.

He's playing 2nd fiddle to Fran, getting blown out of the water locally and nationally by the other program, he signed a huge deal two years ago and hasn't performed, he's had EPIC turnover from his players...EPIC, and he's looking down the barrel of two more years of mediocre, at best, seasons. I'd be irritated, too. However, Brown needs to do a better job with not only Singelais, but also the guys at the local TV stations.

Singelais has put up with more $hit from the Albany basketball staff than you guys know about - and it's been going on for nearly two years. You guys complain about "no coverage" - but that falls on the Albany basketball staff and the SID. Now, I'm not a fan of Singelais' recent posts - but I find them to be funny - only because the level of douchiness out of the Albany basketball offices has brought it to that level.

Will Brown is feeling the heat and he's letting it effect his dealings with the media - that's the root cause of the issue.

Really Soup, he started recruiting from the Midwest, that was the problem. Every hear of Brian Lillis, Brent Wilson or Jason Siggers. What part of the northeast are these key players from the ncaa teams from.

You are entitled to your opinion for whatever it is worth. But it is mostly Siena fans that see this as a Will Brown issue rather than a Singelais issue. That in it self should tell you something. My memory isn't perfect, but I know I complained about the TU coverage and Singelais coverage for a lot more than 2 years. There has been enough road games that I have attended that he wasn't there and his attitude not only gives off a negative tone in just about every article he writes, but gives off the tone in the latest blog that coach is supposed to bend over backwards for him and that it is unfair for fans to criticize him and the TU.

Give me a break.

As far as the Siena coverage, give me a break. The TU always had a link to the Siena site on its site and took a long time to even get an Albany link up(ncaa appearance if memory is correct). The TU has also on more than one occasion printed stuff almost word for word in its paper as it appeared on the Siena website. To me this it not a Albany SID issue, it is a TU credibility issue. Then, they spent money to subsidize the Siena program (arena naming rights) rather than sending a reporter to all Albany's games (or anything else worth while they could do with that money) and you want me to believe they are a fair paper because they covered Albany well in the period that Albany was in the Ncaa tournament.

Really Soup, he started recruiting from the Midwest, that was the problem. Every hear of Brian Lillis, Brent Wilson or Jason Siggers. What part of the northeast are these key players from the ncaa teams from.

You are entitled to your opinion for whatever it is worth. But it is mostly Siena fans that see this as a Will Brown issue rather than a Singelais issue. That in it self should tell you something. My memory isn't perfect, but I know I complained about the TU coverage and Singelais coverage for a lot more than 2 years. There has been enough road games that I have attended that he wasn't there and his attitude not only gives off a negative tone in just about every article he writes, but gives off the tone in the latest blog that coach is supposed to bend over backwards for him and that it is unfair for fans to criticize him and the TU.

Give me a break.

As far as the Siena coverage, give me a break. The TU always had a link to the Siena site on its site and took a long time to even get an Albany link up(ncaa appearance if memory is correct). The TU has also on more than one occasion printed stuff almost word for word in its paper as it appeared on the Siena website. To me this it not a Albany SID issue, it is a TU credibility issue. Then, they spent money to subsidize the Siena program (arena naming rights) rather than sending a reporter to all Albany's games (or anything else worth while they could do with that money) and you want me to believe they are a fair paper because they covered Albany well in the period that Albany was in the Ncaa tournament.

Wow, that is decrepit-Siena-fanesque. Everything is always someone else's fault.

Give me a break.

Wow, that is decrepit-Siena-fanesque. Everything is always someone else's fault.

Looks like you need to head back to the siena board. You just made zero sense.

1) Mark S problem is no ones fault but his own as well as the TU's poor coverage is no ones fault but the TU.

2) Explain again your Midwest recruiting theory. :rolleyes:

Almost every story about the Craigslist killer in the T-U says that he's a UAlbany grad, as if that's relevant. Once, maybe. I don't believe that's in the Associated Press stories.

I'll be watching to see how often stories about the NYC cop who killed another will add that he's a Siena graduate. The original story was on the bottom of page 4, IIRC.

Well this has certainly been an interesting thread to read...seems like a lot of well plowed ground is being plowed once again...is the T-U biased against U-A? Perhaps...its possible but not provable (unless someone gets hands on memos/emails etc written by George Hearst or other senior TU domos that says in essence "dump on U Albany".)..me thinks however that such is not the case, particularly when one considers all the potential T-U readers that are:

A. Employed by U-A

B. Alums of U-A or

C. Are currenlty enrolled at U-A...

Taken together, A B and C dwarf all other local institutions and represent many thousands of potential T-U readers/subscribers...and in a market of this size it would make no economic sense for its largest paper to be "biased" against it...it may be the perception but my guess is that its simply not the case...

Now..does the T-U provide sufficient coverage of U-A sports, and hoops particularly? Well you can make a case that perhaps they do not..but...is it also possible that what's percieved as bias and lack of coverage is more a reflection that perhaps the T-U's "beat reporter" for "that other place" is simply a prodigious, above average sports reporter??? I don't know either Mr. Singlais or Mr. Iorizzo and I offer no opinion on their skill sets because I don't know what those kind of jobs entail, I can only comment upon what I see and read and in that regard I do notice that Mr. Iorizzo seems to go the extra mile in covering Siena and perhaps he is using the oppty to refine his craft so that he can move on to larger venues and opportunities, (he is, I gather from seeing him on T-U videos, a fairly young guy)...it should not be surprising to anyone if this is the case it happens in all walks of life...some folks are poor at their jobs, most are average and some are exceptional and headed for bigger things so I think what you are seeing is not really a reflection upon the T-U or potential biases, its simply a young guy working hard and understanding how to create bigger oppportunities for himself. As for the T-U schilling Siena to put more fannys in the garage bags I don't see that angle frankly either...the TU gets no commission on theTUC gate...they merely paid big $$$ to put thier name on the building to promote thier paper, just as SEFCU gets nothing from the U-A gate. Trust me I am no Siena supporter as my prior posts have indicated but I think this "TU is biased to Siena" line of argument is a tad over done and viewed through the prism of outsiders/others it tends to diminish UA and its fans, so I suggest folks not put undue focus upon it.

As for Coach Brown I love the guy but...alas..he's young too and while he may not much care for Mr. Singlais, you gotta deal with the hand that is dealt ya and if Singlais is the outlet for getting your info in the T-U...then you gotta grow up, suck it up and deal with the guy. Do I think Singelais comment's were appropriate or fair, probably not...but...its a bad economy, everyone is stressed out and just the other day I heard one of the TV stations citing sources about more potential layoffs at the T-U...maybe Mr. Singelais is simply frustrated and stressed out and wants folks to know that his lack of info is not solely his fault (in his view...)...maybe...maybe not...who knows..

Well that's an old geezers thoughts...we don't live in Iran (thankfully...) so you are free to agree or disagree...that's your right and I assure you that I will not accuse anyone of bias against me.

I hope everyone has a great summer and hoops are just 4 months or so away!!!

It's truly amazing how broad based $oup's knowledge is.

He thinks he's the resident expert on the MAAC and now he has all the inside info on what's going on between the Albany staff and the TU.

My GOD their can there be a more knowlegable person on the earth then $oup.

We take everything he says as fact!

$oup do us a favor and crawl back to the $iena and MAAC boards and let us live in our dillusions, you're spoiling all our fun.

Next thing we know your twin brother MT$ will be over here enlightening us with his equal amount of $iena arrogance.

Archived