UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Hot Seat!

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were also not 'under .500' overall in 2007-08.

Didn't the Danes finish 15-16 the past 2 years?

No, but even if they did, would you rather play NJIT,etc than Duke,Kansas, etc so you could have a above .500 record

Whoa bob excuse me, they went 15-15 in 07-08 according to http://www.ualbanysports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=70288&SPID=7999&DB_OEM_ID=15800&ATCLID=1312735 exactly .500 and they were sub .500 in 08-09. Would you rather get beat by 50 points on National TV solidifying the doormat status or build up the program against quality opponents, not teams like Bryant and NJIT. Not get beat downs from the Dukes and Kansas' of college bball. Since the last NCAA appearance UA has been on the decline, and if Brown doesn't bring UA back up this season he doesn't get a pass. This thread will be "lighting up like a christmas tree".

No, I rather the team take on the biggest challenge they can handle and give the teams that would end up in the national championship game that season all they can handle. Obviously I would rather win the game than lose, but you don't get everything you want. Those were good challenges for UA that seemed to help against UConn in the NCAA's.

You also don't know how a team is going to react to challenges before you schedule the game. Some times they are not up to that challenge. So what, it is a learning experience that I believe helps with league games and the tournament should they be fortunate enough to make it and the money helps the program upgrade the facilities and in other needed areas.

Look, the year we lost to Duke by 40, your mighty Saints lost to Memphis by 45 2 weeks later. That didn't seem to put them in a permanent doormat status.

BTW, go back in the archives and look at how many times your mighty Saints lost by 40 or more in their first 10 years. It is not an overnight process to build a program and there will be bumps in the road. We are certainly ahead of the pace that was established by the other program in the area.

Again, I am more than satisfied with the progress the program made under Will Brown and I look forward to see what progress the future holds.

Your right bob, I suppose the experience and exposure is good for the program and you have to take your lumps along the way. This in no way is about Siena or what they do over in Loudonville. Yes their success has been great over the past few years, so we would like to see UA back on top. The problem here is Will Brown. The progress just hasn't been there with this basketball team. UA even in it's infancy of 10 years of D-1 should be the cream of the crop in the AE. Brown didn't do a good enough job of getting depth for the long run during the championship runs. UA should have been able to reload, not rebuild. To many faces from year to year, there needs to be a solid foundation and right now there is not one. Tim and Will are a nice start, but the rotation is awful and Brown has them sitting for too many minutes and doesn't let them play their best style of basketball. Up and Down the floor, slash and score, not the ineffective half court sets and missed jumper after missed jumper. The team needs to show major improvements this season or Brown is on the "Hot Seat".

I happen to agree with DDS on one point. The rotation has been questionable, guys sit for too long, too often.

It looks to me that some of our guys often play tentatively - with one eye toward the bench seeking approval. When that happens it compromises a player's natural instincts and abilities; the attributes that got them to D1 in the first place.

I'm not saying the coach shouldn't expect a game plan to be correctly executed, but how often do you see four or five of our coaches standing and yelling instructions at the same time? When that is happening, the guys on the court are having to divide their concentration between instructions and game, and it takes away from what comes instinctively.

MY OPINION..if I may. I think instead of talking hot seat, we should be talking contract extension. Brown has done an amazing job of building the program, and all the time with quality student athletes. And except for a few fireworks he runs a clean program that we can be proud of. Sure he has lost some kids to transfer and may have been out coached at times, but so have pretty nearly every coach at every program. He has brought us a long way, the future is bright. He should be rewarded.

DDS, you are in the minority, in fact you seem to be a minority of one. Do you think it's possible that you're mistaken, or is everyone else wrong?

Looks like I'm not a minority of one anymore. Not everyone on this blog is drinking the Will Brown kool-aid and is realizing the team is headed in the wrong direction. Sorry not everyone enjoys watching 40 point games, 15 point leads deminished and no clue of what personell to put on the floor at the same time. You don't have to be a season ticket holder to be a fan, nor would I waste my money watching 40 point games time and time again. Once Brown establishes UA as more than a doormat then more fans will show up and buy season tickets. I'm not saying they should fire the guy right this second, but if he doesn't show some improvement on the offensive side then something has to give...

No, you are still in the minority if you are alluding to me. Read the start of my post. "Hot Seat? No."

MY OPINION..if I may. I think instead of talking hot seat, we should be talking contract extension. Brown has done an amazing job of building the program, and all the time with quality student athletes. And except for a few fireworks he runs a clean program that we can be proud of. Sure he has lost some kids to transfer and may have been out coached at times, but so have pretty nearly every coach at every program. He has brought us a long way, the future is bright. He should be rewarded.

Wow, a little early for that I think. Let's let this year play out before firing or giving him a raise.

McFan,

You don't have to think Brown needs to be on the hot seat. But you and others think there needs to be some improvement in the direction of the team. Offensively, rotation wise, minutes, keeping players for more than one year. This is going to be a huge season for UA and Will Brown, if they don't get the job done like you said McFan, the Hot Seat talks will be "lighting up like a christmas tree". I'm not saying fire Brown now, but if he doesn't deliever this season, maybe it's time to start heading in a new direction for the UA basketball program.

I happen to agree with DDS on one point. The rotation has been questionable, guys sit for too long, too often.

It looks to me that some of our guys often play tentatively - with one eye toward the bench seeking approval. When that happens it compromises a player's natural instincts and abilities; the attributes that got them to D1 in the first place.

I'm not saying the coach shouldn't expect a game plan to be correctly executed, but how often do you see four or five of our coaches standing and yelling instructions at the same time? When that is happening, the guys on the court are having to divide their concentration between instructions and game, and it takes away from what comes instinctively.

KingDane is right on the money. The players are consumed by fear of the bench when they are on the floor. Brown is known for his quick hook, doghouse and long minutes on the pine for the slighest of mistakes. If the player makes a T.O., gets beat on Defense, or doesn't slow the pace down to the half court set, they have a one way ticket to the pine for an extended stay. Will Brown trys to micro manage every aspect of the game, and dealing with this young men he can't do that. He has to let it ride, let them play through mistakes like his counter part does in Loundonville. Fran isn't sitting Edwin Ubiles or Ronald Moore for a turnover or blown assignment, he's going to take their 20 points and 10 assists along with the few turnovers or mistakes they might make. Brown needs to get his best players on the floor and keep them there barring foul trouble or fatigue even if they committ a few mistakes.

Great quote by Fran in the Troy Record...paraphrasing here..."a lot of teams make a run and retool" ie UA, "but we want to be a perenial contender for the championship year in and year out". That's the approach UA needed to take 2 seasons ago and right now Brown has the program floundering in no mans land..

Great quote by Fran in the Troy Record...paraphrasing here..."a lot of teams make a run and retool" ie UA, "but we want to be a perenial contender for the championship year in and year out". That's the approach UA needed to take 2 seasons ago and right now Brown has the program floundering in no mans land..

This is your dumbest post yet. What do you expect Fran to say? That they want to go back to the 6-24 season they had that opened the job for him in the first place.

Do you think Will Brown and Albany did want to be a contender year in and year out. They finished 2nd the next year and had injuries and dropped to 7th the next season. Gee that would never had happened if he only wanted to contend. Give me a break.

Do you think other teams like George Mason who went to the final 4 and Bucknell did not want to stay at the level they had reached. If you do think they wanted to drop back down, you are even dumber than I think you are. Anyone who knows anything about sports knows that it is tough to get to the top and even tougher to stay on top once you get there especially if you do things the right way.

The last few days with Bingo certainly should reinforce that point. I would not want to be reading those kind of embarrassing stories about UA year after year like they do about Bingo.

As far as the team having weaknesses like the offense. That is a different issue than you wanting to fire the coach, "put him on ahot seat" or whatever. Duh, all teams have weaknesses, some more than others. It is the coaches job to address weaknesses each season and most of us who have followed UA for a while are confident that he will do that job.

Look, all coaches are ultimately judged on their won-loss record and if it is poor it is usually addressed right after the season is over not 7 weeks before the start of the next season.

So like others have told you in a much more polite way than you deserve, just wait and see how the team plays this season.

Archived