UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

http://www.gsueaglenation.com/pages/full_story/push?article-Stopping+McCarty+a+key+for+Eagles-+D%20&id=3523958-Stopping+McCarty+a+key+for+Eagles-+D&instance=articles_player

Stopping McCarty a key for Eagles' D

Since 2007, it’s happened a lot.

Georgia, Colorado State, Samford and Furman all had one thing in common with the way they beat the Georgia Southern Eagles — they lined up in the I-formation and used the power running game, then hit a deep pass or a tight end over the middle off play action for a big gain.

The Albany Great Danes (0-0) look to do the same thing Saturday at GSU’s 6 p.m. home opener at Paulson Stadium.

The Great Danes don’t have just any running back. Senior tailback David McCarty lit up the Northeast Conference in 2008, rushing for 1,852 yards (2,208 all-purpose yards) and 13 scores on the way to a 9-3 record and unbeaten conference slate.

Now a 2009 preseason Walter Payton Award candidate, the Eagles (0-0) will need to keep an eye on him.

“These are things I think we need to do each week to win, but we’ve got to win in the trenches,” said GSU coach Chris Hatcher. “No. 1 — you’ve got to stop the run — and you can’t get lulled to sleep on the play-action pass. We’ve got to do a good job of doing what we’re coached to do.”

Though there are five seniors listed on the roster at defensive line, the group has been plagued by injuries – not to mention the fact that they had to compete for time against former Eagles like Larry Beard and Dakota Walker.

“Right now coming out of camp if we do have a weakness – and we might have a whole bunch of them when it’s all said and done – but if we do have one, the biggest concern I have is our defensive line. We’re not very big. We do have a couple upper-classmen, but they’re coming off injuries and haven’t played much football.

“Our young guys — Javon Mention and Willie Burden — we think they’ll be fine players. What a redshirt would do for them, but we’re not in a situation where we can,” said Hatcher. “They’re gonna have to line up and play on Saturday, so it’s going to be interesting to see how we match up.”

True freshman Andrerel Coleman, who was also expected to contribute, has been removed from Georgia Southern’s roster pending the resolution of issues with the NCAA Eligibility Center.

The offensive gameplan will be to go with what has worked the best throughout camp — spreading the ball around through the air to a fresh stable of wide receivers. The success of the Eagles will depend on how well the new guys perform in their first college game against the Great Danes from Albany, N.Y.

“I think this’ll be a good barometer of where we’re at,” Hatcher said. “I think you’ve got a misnomer down in the south that, hey, nobody up north plays football. They got a very good football team.”

Well, having made it to Savannah (after flying into Jacksonville), if the weather is no worse in Statesboro than here, I can't see it being a factor. Right now, about the same time as the end of the game will be, the temp is 78 with 70 degree dew point - about the same as it was in Albany last week. Trading a day of tourism in Savannah tomorrow for the game on Saturday.

Well, having made it to Savannah (after flying into Jacksonville), if the weather is no worse in Statesboro than here, I can't see it being a factor. Right now, about the same time as the end of the game will be, the temp is 78 with 70 degree dew point - about the same as it was in Albany last week. Trading a day of tourism in Savannah tomorrow for the game on Saturday.

Haha. Good trade. Savannah is supposed to be a really nice city. I'm definitely jealous. I'm looking forward to a good "game report" when you get back.

Archived