UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

What kind of stadium does $60 million get you?

danefan

If memory serves UConn's 40,000 stadium cost around $90 Million. So if the new UAlbany field is gonna cost 40-45 we're getting hosed.

But compared to New Cowboys stadium ($1.15 billion for 80,000 expandable to 100,000) it's a bargain.

Anyone see Times Union's article on RPI's new athletic stadium today? Talk about a kick in the gut! Not only that, but the Times Union reporter discusses the new stadium in the context of Albany not having one and having failed to get funds for one. Honestly, I'm so sick of this issue of the stadium.

I think I might have a fundamental disagreement with many who are advocating for a stadium discussed on this forum generally --- while I agree 100% with everyone about the need and want for a stadium, I don't think it will ever happen if we simply go to the legislature and say "we need a football stadium." It would seem that the project must be scaled up and not down. Make this a massive initiative that serves many purposes for the Albany metropolitan area. Aim higher, so to speak, is what I urge (thinking if we then have to bargain down, we are still happy with what's left). I think the legislature is much more comfortable with allocating funds for a multi-purpose community-based events center and stadium as compared to a "football stadium." Any difference? No! But if we market it along the lines of the former tag, it's a lot easier to push through, I would imagine, and generates far more interest with people than simply UAlbany fans and football fans generally.

Consider this, for example. This is how Buffalo got its stadium:

"University at Buffalo Stadium is a stadium in Amherst, New York. It is primarily used for American football and track and field events, and is the home field of the Buffalo Bulls. It opened on September 4, 1993 with a game against the University of Maine. Originally holding 16,500, it currently has seating for 29,013 spectators.[1]

The stadium was built from 1991 to 1993 as the final piece of the school's "Run to Division I" drive, meant to bring UB football back to Division I status and as the feature athletic facility for the 1993 World University Games. The program had been dropped for seven years in the 1970s, but returned at a lower level. The team had played at a much smaller, 4,000-seat UB Stadium (now known as Walter Kunz Stadium) from the time of its move to the Town of Amherst north of Buffalo in 1985 until 1993. The current stadium opened in the summer of 1993, hosting the World University Games. The Bulls played their first six years in the stadium as a member of Division I-AA, finally making their return to Division I-A in 1999."

See how Buffalo did it? Tied it in with a bid, etc. for the World University Games. This is not just a football stadium for UAlbany. This is a diverse, multi-cultural, multi-purpose, community-based (insert more adjectives that the communications and sociology people can come up with here) events forum.

Akin to UB's "Run to Division I," perhaps we should take the same approach. What if UAlbany goes to the legislature and says this stadium is the center piece for our bid to join the Big East Conference. You had better believe the heads will turn and have all eyes on us. And, by the way, such a move to the Big East just secured our spot as one of the, if not the only, flagship university. Shoot for an eagle, not for par.

Just some thoughts! :)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If memory serves UConn's 40,000 stadium cost around $90 Million. So if the new UAlbany field is gonna cost 40-45 we're getting hosed.

But compared to New Cowboys stadium ($1.15 billion for 80,000 expandable to 100,000) it's a bargain.

Anyone see Times Union's article on RPI's new athletic stadium today? Talk about a kick in the gut! Not only that, but the Times Union reporter discusses the new stadium in the context of Albany not having one and having failed to get funds for one. Honestly, I'm so sick of this issue of the stadium.

I think I might have a fundamental disagreement with many who are advocating for a stadium discussed on this forum generally --- while I agree 100% with everyone about the need and want for a stadium, I don't think it will ever happen if we simply go to the legislature and say "we need a football stadium." It would seem that the project must be scaled up and not down. Make this a massive initiative that serves many purposes for the Albany metropolitan area. Aim higher, so to speak, is what I urge (thinking if we then have to bargain down, we are still happy with what's left). I think the legislature is much more comfortable with allocating funds for a multi-purpose community-based events center and stadium as compared to a "football stadium." Any difference? No! But if we market it along the lines of the former tag, it's a lot easier to push through, I would imagine, and generates far more interest with people than simply UAlbany fans and football fans generally.

Consider this, for example. This is how Buffalo got its stadium:

"University at Buffalo Stadium is a stadium in Amherst, New York. It is primarily used for American football and track and field events, and is the home field of the Buffalo Bulls. It opened on September 4, 1993 with a game against the University of Maine. Originally holding 16,500, it currently has seating for 29,013 spectators.[1]

The stadium was built from 1991 to 1993 as the final piece of the school's "Run to Division I" drive, meant to bring UB football back to Division I status and as the feature athletic facility for the 1993 World University Games. The program had been dropped for seven years in the 1970s, but returned at a lower level. The team had played at a much smaller, 4,000-seat UB Stadium (now known as Walter Kunz Stadium) from the time of its move to the Town of Amherst north of Buffalo in 1985 until 1993. The current stadium opened in the summer of 1993, hosting the World University Games. The Bulls played their first six years in the stadium as a member of Division I-AA, finally making their return to Division I-A in 1999."

See how Buffalo did it? Tied it in with a bid, etc. for the World University Games. This is not just a football stadium for UAlbany. This is a diverse, multi-cultural, multi-purpose, community-based (insert more adjectives that the communications and sociology people can come up with here) events forum.

Akin to UB's "Run to Division I," perhaps we should take the same approach. What if UAlbany goes to the legislature and says this stadium is the center piece for our bid to join the Big East Conference. You had better believe the heads will turn and have all eyes on us. And, by the way, such a move to the Big East just secured our spot as one of the, if not the only, flagship university. Shoot for an eagle, not for par.

We must help the NYS Legislature, help us. Try our hardest to show why this is good for NY, the local economy, why a strong university center in albany is good for the area and also the state, how local municipalities will benefit, how lower-income households will benefit (i don't know how, but come up with something!), how the stadium will be named after a great activist of our time, etc. What I'm saying is SELL THIS to them. They want it and need it!

Just some thoughts! :)

EDIT:

Apologies, in my rage, I forgot the Times Union link for you guys and gals: http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=840230

I understand what you are saying UA, I'm just not sure we have the lobbying power or funding to do something like that.

I don't understand McGuire's approach here at all though. He's a guy that has been somewhat supportive of UA in the past. Its hard for me to tell whether he wrote it this way as a way to support us by saying look at this DIII facility - UA and the State needs to get their butts in gear and get something built.

I'm going to email him and ask him.

To be honest, I couldn't tell what the writers intent was...was it to take shots at UA or to call attention to the sub par facilities at a SUNY flagship campus with a bit of humor mixed in.

It's hard sometimes to stay optimistic but we WILL get ours! I don't know how long it will take and undoubtedly at times it's hard to keep the faith but IMO we will have facilities at some point worthy of housing our great and ever improving football program. I see the developing relationship between the Chancellors office and our new prez as a positive.

Mcguire's response to my email asking his intent was:

The point today is it has to eat at UA since a private school has fewer hoops to jump through, and the timing got screwed up by the economy.

Seems like he really does support UA. Maybe I'm too sensitive to these types of things.

Speaking of the D-3 arms race Upstate, it seems Buff State is in the design phase of a $40 Mil. athletics facility, with a 4000 seat football stadium and seperate track/playing field. That amount seems crazy, but part of the cost preliminarily includes razing a brownfield site to develop the space. Funding is not yet in place, but here's how their former prez described the project earlier this year: "We have entered the design phase of a new athletics stadium, which is to be a joint project with the Buffalo Public Schools. We expect this to be a boost for our athletics program and for the athletics programs in the public schools." I don't know how "joint" the project will be, and how both entities lobbying sources will help in attaining funding.

Buff State Stadium Details

Powerpoint of Campus Projects, Stadium Images Slide 67, 68

There were talks of a new $60 million state-of-the-art, multi-sport stadium, but that project never came to fruition. Now, a new stadium is "not in the cards" because of the current economic climate, said Philip, a huge supporter of the UAlbany Athletic Department.

He called it an unfortunate situation for the university athletics.

"Upgrades are necessary," he said. "We have a world-class track team, but can't have home meets because we don't have a regulation track. We bring these great athletes here, so we should provide for them."

http://media.www.albanystudentpress.org/media/storage/paper1019/news/2009/09/15/News/Philip.Settles.In.As.New.President-3771470.shtml#4

OK, lets get moving on the UField upgrades ASAP!

Two things jumped out at me in this story... "Philip said there is something brewing and planning to return to campus that "will make a lot of people happy." The announcement, shrouded in mystery, involves "strategic alliances that will enhance the university greatly."" and There were talks of a new $60 million state-of-the-art, multi-sport stadium, but that project never came to fruition. Now, a new stadium is "not in the cards" because of the current economic climate, said Philip, a huge supporter of the UAlbany Athletic Department.

Anyone have any clue what #1 could be....could it be something with Albany Med or Albany Law or Giants training camp? He did say it would be "returning" what was here before, is no longer here but would be returning? Can anyone think of anything? Just speculating here. Very sad to see #2 put that way....not in the cards now...or not in the cards ever? If I'm reading it correctly, not in the cards now.

Two things jumped out at me in this story... "Philip said there is something brewing and planning to return to campus that "will make a lot of people happy." The announcement, shrouded in mystery, involves "strategic alliances that will enhance the university greatly."" and There were talks of a new $60 million state-of-the-art, multi-sport stadium, but that project never came to fruition. Now, a new stadium is "not in the cards" because of the current economic climate, said Philip, a huge supporter of the UAlbany Athletic Department.

Anyone have any clue what #1 could be....could it be something with Albany Med or Albany Law or Giants training camp? He did say it would be "returning" what was here before, is no longer here but would be returning? Can anyone think of anything? Just speculating here. Very sad to see #2 put that way....not in the cards now...or not in the cards ever? If I'm reading it correctly, not in the cards now.

No clue what #1 is, but I think its probably something academic.

And as for #2 I take that as meaning not in the cards now or in the near future.

No clue what #1 is, but I think its probably something academic.

And as for #2 I take that as meaning not in the cards now or in the near future.

Fair enough...so let's do something for University Field now.....and then keep trying for the new facilities. :ninja:

At the luncheon today..

Coach Ford was talking about the locker rooms, the weight rooms all being D1 but that our field is D3...he was asked about the stadium...and how it went through the Assmebly and never made it through the Senate (in regards to the budget process). He then pointed to Pres. Philip ...who said something like that there are plans B and C and that we will most likely not be able to get plan A due to the fiscal situation of the state.

I believe he said that the other plans would be more module and could be added to in the future. I didn't really catch the detail of what he said, so if someone who was there did please post it!!

Archived