UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

What kind of stadium does $60 million get you?

danefan

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone have any information on the Giants request for a turf field if they come back and how that might influence what the school does in regards to this new stadium that has been talked about for the past few years?

Welcome UA1844! Good to have you on board.

I hadn't heard about the Giants' specific fieldturf request, but it does make a whole lot of sense. They play on field turf an awful lot so it makes sense that they would want to practice on it too.

And I have heard Coach Ford's two "wants" are Field Turf and Academics (center for the players).

Yep...that's why we love Coach-- ACADEMICS ARE A PRIORITY! He could have asked for anything...but he stressed Academics

Thank you for the welcomes. This weekend I heard from old friends who still live in the area that the Giant's request was important. They said NFL player's incomes are taxed while they earn it practicing in New York State, is that really true? That seems like a lot of money for New York State if it is true.

Huh?

If that is true I guarantee you the Giants are paying the tax for them.

I highly doubt that is true. That would make you eligible for tax in every state you "do business in."

Your friend is likely very, very wrong. And this is coming from an attorney. Danefan could likely further elaborate...

Thank you for the welcomes. This weekend I heard from old friends who still live in the area that the Giant's request was important. They said NFL player's incomes are taxed while they earn it practicing in New York State, is that really true? That seems like a lot of money for New York State if it is true.

Welcome UA1844.

Usually with these matters, 96's stance is quite accurate.

It seems as though D96 and I agree 95% of the time. When we do have a difference in opinion though, you should adopt my perspective. :rolleyes:

Lol...

...and for the record; my marching band and other $$$ related issues where I call you out isnt really about you, rather it is based on frustration at the reality. Some of us on this board have many...many...many years and conversations invested with the University on this issue.

Sadly...some of us think this whole thing was mismanaged from the get...and now we are in a real bad spot.

Put it this way-- when the school gets their $iena together, which seemingly they cannot do, I will be making a 5-year pledge to donate to three specific things: football stadium, football schollies and a new Player/Foul Scoreboard that will hang off one wall in the RAAC for hoops. That will be in addition to my two ticket purchase, which might as well be a yearly 3 figure donation because I can barely make games anymore.

(and i am tired of hearing there are no state $$$; I work with state governments that are in worse positions that are in NYS that give away a ton of money to useless causes for constituents).

I, and others in a sadly increasing amount of numbers...are just sick of this garbage. I really believe that some powers that be dont realize how much they are alienating the alumni.

Taxation of professional athletes is complicated, but a general rule of thumb is that if players aren't NY residents then they are only taxed on income "earned" in NY. Because NFL contracts are not guaranteed money, their income is generally considered earned where the part of their contract comes into play which entitles them to compensation. Most NFL contracts have a per-practice compensation structure for mini-camp and pre-season practices and thus where those practices are held does determine where state tax is owing.

The same is true for regular season pay which is generally based on per-games played and is generally paid on a 17 week basis. NFL players have taxes withheld for 2 days worth of earnings in each state in which they have a road game.

Like I said, professional atheletes have very complicated tax issues when they don't have guaranteed money. NFL and PGA players have the biggest issues.

So a long and complicated tax-law story short is this - for most players (who live in NJ), NY will lose out on any practice money earned if the Giants don't come back to Albany. It may not be that huge of a # though because its only on the money earned in pre-season camp and not the big money signing bonuses, etc.

Disclaimer - if any NFL players are reading this post - please do not consider this legal advice. Thanks. biggrin.gif ]

Taxation of professional athletes is complicated, but a general rule of thumb is that if players aren't NY residents then they are only taxed on income "earned" in NY. Because NFL contracts are not guaranteed money, their income is generally considered earned where the part of their contract comes into play which entitles them to compensation. Most NFL contracts have a per-practice compensation structure for mini-camp and pre-season practices and thus where those practices are held does determine where state tax is owing.

The same is true for regular season pay which is generally based on per-games played and is generally paid on a 17 week basis. NFL players have taxes withheld for 2 days worth of earnings in each state in which they have a road game.

Like I said, professional atheletes have very complicated tax issues when they don't have guaranteed money. NFL and PGA players have the biggest issues.

Disclaimer - if any NFL players are reading this post - please do not consider this legal advice. Thanks. biggrin.gif

Good pts...and I guess my statement wasnt fully accurate. What i meant to state is that ANY guarantee money(balloon payments, etc) are not taxed. Neither is per diem.

We really should start a firm together (or just take over the athletic department and run it).

I cant say how I know because frankly it would get the person in trouble (not UA related)...but the average costs for a turf field is about $5-$7 a square foot. The average costs for straight-up steal bleachers for 15,000 seats is around $4.5 million.

Add on local costs, press boxes...etc...the school can get a very nice (read Hofstra-like) facility for around $10mm max.

This is the post I was talking about!

4.5 million for straight up steel bleachers seating 15,000!

What are the exact dimensions of a football field, including regular sideline space, and perimeter around the inbounds - in order to calculate field turf cost?

Whatever direction we go, I'd like to see seating that will accomodate 12-15k people ASAP, in order not to jeopardize inclusion with the CAA, if the chance arises.

And I think someone mentioned a while back that a brand new regulation sized track

could be built for around 1 million. I assume the quote was without seating.

4.5 million for 15k seats.

10k on the current visitor's side,

2.5k on both end zones.

Can we fit a regulation sized track in there?

If so, we have a soccer / track and field mini-stadium, when the BIG STADIUM eventually goes up.

Then, put down 5+ million annually towards the BIG stadium each year in construction or savings.

4.5 million for 15k seats.

10k on the current visitor's side,

2.5k on both end zones.

Can we fit a regulation sized track in there?

If so, we have a soccer / track and field mini-stadium, when the BIG STADIUM eventually goes up.

Then, 5 million annual towards the BIG stadium down the road.

I don't think its that easy. My understanding is that the $5 million per year is for "critical maintenance" not for new capital expenditures. I believe the President has final authority over the critical maintenance funds, but the legislature has to allocate any capital expenditure funding. If true, that means we can maintain U-Field with $5 mil a year, but not build a new one.

Archived