UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

BU RELEASES RIVERA, 4 OTHERS

Holy crap this is bad.

Google Binghamton University in Google News and you get this:

http://news.google.c...y&oq=binghamton

Ouch.

Over/under on Broadus?

I'll set the line at 2 days.

It depends on how much worse it gets...if the Thirer demotion is the bottom then he'll survive at least until the point where his contract will be more manageable. He just signed on for a new contract. The buyout is probably north of $1mil.

The bigger concern I'd have if I was a Bingo supporter would be....how do you rebuild? No reputable AAU or HS coach is gonna give him the time of day, coaches competing with Broadus for recruits WILL use all of this against Bing...Bing is going to be down for a while! Unless of course they can find the money (or reason) to flat out terminate him and completely gut the program and start building again.

I would assume that Bing would have been smart enough to put a "for cause" clause in the contract that would allow them to terminate him without penalty for something like this. I think that is pretty standard.

But then again, its not really standard to fire someone who is raising complaints against you either. That's what they did Sally Dear today. So, all in all, Bing isn't really the tightest run ship in the sea right now.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy crap this is bad.

Google Binghamton University in Google News and you get this:

http://news.google.c...y&oq=binghamton

Ouch.

Over/under on Broadus?

I'll set the line at 2 days.

It depends on how much worse it gets...if the Thirer demotion is the bottom then he'll survive at least until the point where his contract will be more manageable. He just signed on for a new contract. The buyout is probably north of $1mil.

The bigger concern I'd have if I was a Bingo supporter would be....how do you rebuild? No reputable AAU or HS coach is gonna give him the time of day, coaches competing with Broadus for recruits WILL use all of this against Bing...Bing is going to be down for a while! Unless of course they can find the money (or reason) to flat out terminate him and completely gut the program and start building again.

I would assume that Bing would have been smart enough to put a "for cause" clause in the contract that would allow them to terminate him without penalty for something like this. I think that is pretty standard.

But then again, its not really standard to fire someone who is raising complaints against you either. That's what they did Sally Dear today. So, all in all, Bing isn't really the tightest run ship in the sea right now.

I suspect if the NCAA comes in and opens an investigation... and releases their findings implicating Broadus or one of the other coaches on staff in NCAA violations, then that clause (if in the contract) could be exercised. I don't think it's happening in 2 days time. Who knows though, they might axe him and just pay that contract.

All during the last week of the Binghamton fiasco, I have become even more appreciative of the UA athletic administration.

When Scott Beeten (coach before Will Brown) tried to recruit students of questionable scholastic caliber, he was quickly dismissed. Virtually no public relations mess was created - just a quick uproar, and it was over. The school, the Athletic Department, and the men's basketball program just marched on. The situation with the stadium may not be the upbeat news for us UA fans now, but I am certainly grateful that we have Dr. McElroy at the helm.

I'm not a particularly great fan of the Bing U athletic program right now, but now I have some sympathy. Perhaps BU(NY) can look at UA as a model to how it extricates itself from the mess it's in.

All during the last week of the Binghamton fiasco, I have become even more appreciative of the UA athletic administration.

When Scott Beeten (coach before Will Brown) tried to recruit students of questionable scholastic caliber, he was quickly dismissed. Virtually no public relations mess was created - just a quick uproar, and it was over. The school, the Athletic Department, and the men's basketball program just marched on. The situation with the stadium may not be the upbeat news for us UA fans now, but I am certainly grateful that we have Dr. McElroy at the helm.

I'm not a particularly great fan of the Bing U athletic program right now, but now I have some sympathy. Perhaps BU(NY) can look at UA as a model to how it extricates itself from the mess it's in.

Can bing be stripped of its aeast title and appearance to the ncaa's. That would be great, we'd still be the only SUNY to go to the tournament. This would also give our respectable rivals the out right Conference Championship.

I have a hard time believing that KB, and the Bing men basketball team, will be nothing more then a bottom three team in the AE, for the remainder of the KB era. They have only ten players on their roster and three returning players. Add on to that recruiting right now for Bing and KB has got to be a disaster, who is going to want to play for a coach with all this negative attention? Also with all the new restrictions placed on him, how hard will it be to bring in new players? I have a feeling that the administrators at Bing might make it so difficult for KB that they force him to quit. Does anyone know if he quits that he forfeits the remaining money he is scheduled to earn?

Can bing be stripped of its aeast title and appearance to the ncaa's. That would be great, we'd still be the only SUNY to go to the tournament. This would also give our respectable rivals the out right Conference Championship.

I'm not sure if I want to see the AE strip Binghamton of its championship title last year. I suppose you could easily argue that point. I'm sure there are many UMBC and UNH fans who might desire a reversal of the outcome.

I'm content that UA is the only SUNY school to reach the NCAA more than once. In the next few years I hope we can add to the count.

This is all pretty tragic and...very sickening...while we may not like Binghamton very much and Broadus not an iota...there is simply no good news here...

Given the State's fiscal climate and the overall rudderless situation down in the Capital right now...something like this could provide ample excuse for the pols to justify cuts to discretionary moneys in the SUNY budgets under the guise of fiscal restraint..meaning potentially even less to NO money for completion of Project 2010...further this mess might also give folks on the SUNY Board of Trustees reason to question SUNY's overall involvement in Division 1...I'm not saying any of these are gonna happen...but it certainly could....so...I recommend against revelling too heartily in this mess as we could always end up suffering unforeseen collateral damage...lets hope the BUNY brass fixes it, straighten things up and lets the Athletic Department responsibly move forward and we should all be extremely thankful for the effective leadership that UAlbany's programs enjoy.

Hate to say it but I warned Commissioner Nero about a year and a half ago about Coach Broadus. I was going to post a copy of the letter here but decided against it. Either way it fell on deaf ears, Nero never even gave the courtesy of a reply.

I think I should have taken it up with the interim chancellor at the time (John Clark).

Makes you wonder if VADM John Ryan was in charge back in February of 2008 would we even be having this discussion?

VADM Ryan seemed like the kind of guy who does not stand for this kind of $iena.

It is a bad day for SUNY, the AE and Zoos across the world.

Flush Hard!

It's a long way to Vestal

Although I respect everyone's opinion, I happen to disagree with

this line of thinking.

IMO, it is very clear to everyone that binghamton is/has been their

own one-man-show for quite some time. They've distanced themselves

from the NYS system the best they've could, and when it comes down

to instances like this, that's quite beneficial for the SUNY system.

For example, in every single news piece that I've read about this

entire situation, I haven't heard binghamton mentioned as a SUNY, but

only as binghamton university. That helps.

Nobody in their right mind, will look anywhere beyond the campus of

Binghamton. It is clear as day, that the AD on the binghamton campus,

nowhere else, has developed cancer.... and needs to try to save itself.

It is quite clear it is a totally isolated incident.

I think Zimpher will see to it that binghamton cleans itself up, and stays

clean. I also believe that she will help protect everyone else in the

SUNY family, if any need arises.

IF the board of directors question the university centers involvement in D1 sports,

including all of UAlbany's conference titles and NCAA appearances, and all of the

national recognition it has brought to SUNY and UAlbany............

then they will capture the title of being the most ridiculous and ignorant

educational body in the United States.

This is all pretty tragic and...very sickening...while we may not like Binghamton very much and Broadus not an iota...there is simply no good news here...

Given the State's fiscal climate and the overall rudderless situation down in the Capital right now...something like this could provide ample excuse for the pols to justify cuts to discretionary moneys in the SUNY budgets under the guise of fiscal restraint..meaning potentially even less to NO money for completion of Project 2010...further this mess might also give folks on the SUNY Board of Trustees reason to question SUNY's overall involvement in Division 1...I'm not saying any of these are gonna happen...but it certainly could....so...I recommend against revelling too heartily in this mess as we could always end up suffering unforeseen collateral damage...lets hope the BUNY brass fixes it, straighten things up and lets the Athletic Department responsibly move forward and we should all be extremely thankful for the effective leadership that UAlbany's programs enjoy.

That's my concern too. There's an editorial in the NY Times on the Bing situation and it's titled "the state univeristy scandal."

How careless to title this repetitive dribble as he did!

Then he goes on to say the JEWEL of the state system.... in the same breath

with corruption, fraud, etc....? What a jewel.

I'm getting very tired of idiots and baffoons.

Anyone know who wrote it?

I don't see a name.

I'm liking Zimpher more every day now.....

SUNY steps in to oversee audit of BU athletic program

SUNY and its trustees -- not Binghamton University -- will oversee an audit of BU's athletic program, the state university system's top official said Friday.

http://www.pressconnects.com/article/20091002/NEWS01/910020398/

I'm liking Zimpher more every day now.....

SUNY steps in to oversee audit of BU athletic program

SUNY and its trustees -- not Binghamton University -- will oversee an audit of BU's athletic program, the state university system's top official said Friday.

http://www.pressconnects.com/article/20091002/NEWS01/910020398/

I would agree. I do like what I see so far.

How does Zimpher rate university athletics in terms of overall importance to the strength of a university or a state university system?

I'm becoming convinced she will be an influential champion for our academics. I'm curious on just how important she thinks SUNY University Center Athletics are...

Archived