UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

BU RELEASES RIVERA, 4 OTHERS

This is her stance, so far as she has told the media in the past:

Being Nancy Zimpher

'Something Zimpher is more familiar with is athletics. [uW-Milwaukee's] athletic department contains about a dozen sports. Students rally around athletics and it provides an excellent sense of school spirit. Athletics provide a lot of visibility, but academic excellence should be there to warrant said visibility, she said.

"I really think I have collegiate athletics in perspective," she said. "It's a part of an academic experience, the university experience, but I don't think it should be the driver."

Zimpher Leaves Solid Athletic Program [Though some reader comments argue that position]

"Nancy hadn't even stepped foot in her office on (Cincinnati's] campus and she was in Pittsburgh speaking to our presidents about Cincinnati joining the Big East. After hearing the presentation from her, it was only a matter of time before we continued the process and offered them an invitation to join," said Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese on Tuesday.

"We had to present ourselves. ... It started with our academic enterprise," said Zimpher

Zimpher also served a term on the NCAA Board of Directors for the Big East, so she's been involved at a very high level.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Report by Mark Singelais:

Binghamton coach violated NCAA rule this week

"In the Youve Got To Be Kidding Me Dept., Fox Sports Jeff Goodman is reporting embattled Binghamton head coach Kevin Broadus violated an NCAA rule on Tuesday when he spoke to two recruits at their school, a day after the contact period ended.

Broadus denied speaking to the two Notre Dame Prep (Fitchburg, Ma.) players, but both players acknowledged they had talked to the Binghamton coach.

If its true, talk about pushing your luck. Broadus is already on thin ice after six players were dismissed from the program, including guard Emanuel Tiki Mayben of Troy, arrested on charges of dealing and possessing cocaine.

The SUNY system has appointed a retired state judge to investigate and review the Binghamton athletic program.

One of the Notre Dame recruits, guard Antoine Myers, said Broadus asked if hed heard anything about the Binghamton situation.

I told (Broadus) I didnt, Myers said to Fox Sports. (Broadus) just told me it was a real bad accident."

I cannot stand ppl mixing up Albany and Bing just bc we are both SUNY's. Bing basketball does not HAVE over 700 wins in various lower levels before going to D1.

Also its stuff like this that makes me really proud of our sports history, from Coach Doc, Coach Ford and Coach Brown because I see the banners and I am proud! Albany Alums dont need to justify our wins!

I am sure everyone here feels like this already :D

Binghamton puts Kevin Broadus on a paid leave of absence for "continuing incidents of concern related to the men's basketball program.- Pete Thamel's Twitter http://twitter.com/PeteThamelNYT

from AE board...

"There have been continuing incidents of concern related to the men's basketball program that do not measure up to Binghamton University's high standards. After discussions with President Lois B. DeFleur and Vice President James Van Voorst, earlier today I placed Coach Kevin Broadus on paid leave of absence from his head coaching duties until further notice. Additionally, Coach Broadus has assured me of his cooperation with the upcoming athletic program audit being conducted by the Honorable Judith Kaye, retired.

Assistant Coach Mark Macon will assume the duties of head coach on an interim basis. He is an excellent coach and I have every confidence in his ability to provide strong leadership to the team. Our players have worked very hard in preparing for the upcoming season and I am looking forward to working with Mark in guiding the basketball program in a positive and successful direction.

James Norris

Interim athletic director, Binghamton University"

• 2 weeks later...

Binghamton University delegates tossed from SUNY meeting for drinking

In the presence of delegates from 64 State University of New York institutions, three student representatives of Binghamton University were removed from a business meeting for drinking alcohol.

"Student leaders are supposed to lead by example," said Josh Berk, director of academic affairs for the SUNY Student Assembly, which held its fall conference this past weekend at the Holiday Inn Arena.

The Saturday afternoon incident happened during the assembly's business meeting, during which resolutions are presented from various SUNY universities and colleges. BU's delegates requested a resolution to initiate a petition drive to lobby against Albany's decreased funding to SUNY, said Juliette Price, director of Communications for SUNY SA and a student at SUNY Oneonta.

During the meeting, three of the five BU delegates -- BU Student Association President Adam Amit, Research Planning and Committee Chair Lawrence Faulstich and Student Assembly Chair Elahd Bar-Shai -- left the meeting and returned with beer, said Berk, who is a BU student.

SUNY Student Assembly President Melody Mercedes asked for a motion to remove the BU delegates, which was offered and seconded, Berk said.

"It was a very poor decision on our part," Amit said.

Some, however, saw the ouster in a different light. According to Berk, the actions of the BU delegates are another blemish on the university, which has dealt with numerous instances of bad publicity in recent weeks.

"We have a terrible public perception right now and they exacerbated it," he said.

By Debbie Swartz •dswartz@gannett.com • October 25, 2009, 10:20 pm

• 4 weeks later...

Not to bring up an old thread, but I didn't think it needed it's own thread. For those who do not visit the AE Board this Hoopville article has interesting information on Binghamton's situation...

http://www.hoopville.com/2009/11/20/america-east-notebook-2/

I'll pull out those parts that talk about the Binghamton situation including rumors of what may come out publically from the investigation...

"Binghamton, of course, was the lone school with not represented at Media Day (no coaches, administration, etc), and while it’s understandable that the league, and Binghamton itself, did not want the event to turn into a Binghamton centered sideshow, the general feeling amongst America East coaches was that by not being their, Binghamton only made themselves more of a story. For anyone who thinks that Mark Macon(or anyone “in house”) is the answer to right the Bearcats ship: I’ve got a bridge to sell ‘ya.

Malik Alvin’s adventures in Walmart shopping/condom stealing, and Tiki Mayben’s arrest for cocaine were well published, but trust me, there is a hell of a lot more that has yet to go public (There are some pretty substantiated rumors of, among other things, Credit card fraud, Marijuana dealing, and improprieties an the part of several members of the basketball staff and athletic administration). Broadus allowed a culture at Binghamton in which men’s b-ballers were not held accountable for any of their actions, and were allowed to live above the law, and all the members of his staff were on board with it (without getting into specifics, some of them crossed the line themselves).

And what did Macon do shortly after taking over as the Interim head coach? He publicly lead the Bearcats in a sign of solidarity at “Midnight Madness” with the aforementioned Mayben, symbolically reaching out and extending T-shirts to him… yeah, that’s the kind of leadership that an already reeling program needs. To quote one America East coach, “Yeah, that was classy.”

You stay classy Mark Macon… you stay classy…"

Archived