UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Purple & Gold Scrimmage

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At this point based on what I've seen I'd peg the lineup like this...

- Giff

- McRae - Not sure about this pick...he needs to stay aggressive

- Harris

- Ambrose

- MJ

With the following coming off the bench....

- Black

- Tartt

- Logan

- Urli

- Barazza

I'm pretty much with you on these. The only addition to guys coming off the bench would be Metcalf. It was only one scrimmage but if he competes like that all the time I don't see how you keep him on the bench.

We've talked about how young this team is but we could start four seniors and a junior.

At this point based on what I've seen I'd peg the lineup like this...

- Giff

- McRae - Not sure about this pick...he needs to stay aggressive

- Harris

- Ambrose

- MJ

With the following coming off the bench....

- Black

- Tartt

- Logan

- Urli

- Barazza

I'm pretty much with you on these. The only addition to guys coming off the bench would be Metcalf. It was only one scrimmage but if he competes like that all the time I don't see how you keep him on the bench.

We've talked about how young this team is but we could start four seniors and a junior.

But then you are going 11 deep.....nine or ten deep is optimal but who do you sit? Based on what I've seen, just one scrimmage, Watts is not ready neither is Jake. Again, I might be wrong here because we haven't seen them play any games or practice but at this point Gavin is ahead of them. At least one kid will most likely be red shirted in addition to Jacob and Puk....already sitting out.

Are we going to be redshirting anyone else besides Puk ? Would seem to make sense to do another player or two. 16 guys playing is highly unlikely. Plus it splits up a huge recruiting class.

Iati is red shirting I think..... I believe because he has to sit out a year due to the transfer rules...

But then you are going 11 deep.....nine or ten deep is optimal but who do you sit? Based on what I've seen, just one scrimmage, Watts is not ready neither is Jake. Again, I might be wrong here because we haven't seen them play any games or practice but at this point Gavin is ahead of them. At least one kid will most likely be red shirted in addition to Jacob and Puk....already sitting out.

As we're early in the process and we never know about injury or illness, I wouldn't worry about going 11 deep. This will evolve naturally. The dog house is still empty at this point also. With more palyers available, it creates a better competive practice where you can earn or lose some minutes.

Coach Brown's thoughts from his web-site:

10.24.09:

We just finished our Purple/Gold game. It was a great event. We had a terrific crowd despite the monsoon like weather conditions. The event was well organized. Charlie Voelker and Matt Roche did a great job putting this event together. Our team has a lot of moving pieces this year and we are excited about the potential of this team. We have a nice combination of younger players and veterans.

We are on the bus on our way to our first scrimmage of the season. Nothing like practicing in the morning, Purple/Gold in the afternoon, and then a 4 hour bus trip in the evening. I am tired so I can only imagine how the players feel.

I decided to bring my 7 year old son Jackson on this road trip. My wife Jamie is a nervous wreck! LOL! He is sitting with Blake Metcalf and Derreck Tartt. They are great sports!

I am looking forward to watching us compete against someone else for a change. I am planning on giving everybody a shot tomorrow. The players have all worked hard and I have been impressed.

You can follow our program at Facebook.com/ualbanybasketball and at Twitter.com (uahoopswb) for daily updates. I just opened the twitter account a few days ago and made it public today. This way you will be able to keep up with Great Danes Basketball!

Haggy, I'm expecting you to come up with the name of the recruit in North Carolina.

I'm telling you, Boisy is your man for this, but here goes:

First, can we determine an approximate time for the practice tomorrow? Coach Brown's website listed weekend practices as beginning at 9AM, but with the students in class during the week you would have to assume an earlier start. If practice ends by 8AM and you throw in a shower, a ride to the airport, and time to get through security, you are looking at 10AM at the earliest, realistically.

So, using that assumption we can cross-reference Brown's earliest availability time to the list of departures to North Carolina airports that are found on the Albany International Airport web page at AIA Departures. The website only has departures listed for up until slightly before noon right now, and no flights directly to North Carolina cities are listed.

This will create another assumption that Coach Brown is not taking a connector flight to North Carolina, but with a cramped schedule that requires his presence in Hartford on Wednesday morning, along with a visit with a recruit, this assumption might be successfully argued.

Our next step is to identify what time AE media day begins in Hartford on Wednesday morning. The America East website notes that: "Fran Fraschilla, current ESPN analyst and former head coach at Manhattan, St. John’s and New Mexico, will serve as emcee for the luncheon, which will be begin at 12 noon." Now we need to make our third (and arguably most difficult) assumption: That Coach Brown will not be returning to Albany before flying into Hartford. With the typical North Carolina to Hartford flight at about 3.5 to 4 hours, an estimated travel time of 21 minutes (16.1 miles) from Bradley International Airport to the Connecticut State Capitol Building, and the likely desired impression of arriving 30 to 60 minutes early to the event, we are looking at a 6AM departure time from NC.

Using the BIA website we have planes possibly arriving from Charlotte, Greensboro/High Point, Raleigh/Durham, and Wilmington. Cross-referencing this list against AIA direct flight North Carolina cities, located at AIA to NC Flights you are likely looking for a US Air flight to either Charlotte or Raleigh/Durham.

So, by taking this information (which is loaded with assumptions) and plugging it into Kayak we might be able to track Coach Brown's itinerary. Using a fifty mile radius around both airports we can find a list of high schools, and by making final assumptions on the position that is being recruited, we could likely determine a list of available mid-major prospects. That, however, seems like a lot of work in order to determine somthing that might be released in mid-November during the early signing period.

So, like I said, Boisy is your man for this job. I'm going to bed. There are some audits waiting for me on my desk at 8AM tomorrow (today).

Other assumptions include:

More travel time will not be needed in Hartford. Arriving in a government town near lunch break can mean running into a slew of civil servants on the roadways.

By traveling directly to Hartford Coach Brown will need to travel with his bags. It shouldn't be an additional hazard, but it is a consideration.

Haggy, I'm expecting you to come up with the name of the recruit in North Carolina.

I'm telling you, Boisy is your man for this, but here goes:

First, can we determine an approximate time for the practice tomorrow? Coach Brown's website listed weekend practices as beginning at 9AM, but with the students in class during the week you would have to assume an earlier start. If practice ends by 8AM and you throw in a shower, a ride to the airport, and time to get through security, you are looking at 10AM at the earliest, realistically.

So, using that assumption we can cross-reference Brown's earliest availability time to the list of departures to North Carolina airports that are found on the Albany International Airport web page at AIA Departures. The website only has departures listed for up until slightly before noon right now, and no flights directly to North Carolina cities are listed.

This will create another assumption that Coach Brown is not taking a connector flight to North Carolina, but with a cramped schedule that requires his presence in Hartford on Wednesday morning, along with a visit with a recruit, this assumption might be successfully argued.

Our next step is to identify what time AE media day begins in Hartford on Wednesday morning. The America East website notes that: "Fran Fraschilla, current ESPN analyst and former head coach at Manhattan, St. John’s and New Mexico, will serve as emcee for the luncheon, which will be begin at 12 noon." Now we need to make our third (and arguably most difficult) assumption: That Coach Brown will not be returning to Albany before flying into Hartford. With the typical North Carolina to Hartford flight at about 3.5 to 4 hours, an estimated travel time of 21 minutes (16.1 miles) from Bradley International Airport to the Connecticut State Capitol Building, and the likely desired impression of arriving 30 to 60 minutes early to the event, we are looking at a 6AM departure time from NC.

Using the BIA website we have planes possibly arriving from Charlotte, Greensboro/High Point, Raleigh/Durham, and Wilmington. Cross-referencing this list against AIA direct flight North Carolina cities, located at AIA to NC Flights you are likely looking for a US Air flight to either Charlotte or Raleigh/Durham.

So, by taking this information (which is loaded with assumptions) and plugging it into Kayak we might be able to track Coach Brown's itinerary. Using a fifty mile radius around both airports we can find a list of high schools, and by making final assumptions on the position that is being recruited, we could likely determine a list of available mid-major prospects. That, however, seems like a lot of work in order to determine somthing that might be released in mid-November during the early signing period.

So, like I said, Boisy is your man for this job. I'm going to bed. There are some audits waiting for me on my desk at 8AM tomorrow (today).

While this is hilarious.....I don't have the time to do legwork like this......(don't ask why I'm making this post at 2:06AM....fine, I'll tell you anyway, the newborn won't let me sleep)

First thing you need to establish is if CB is recruiting '10 or '11.... B)

While this is hilarious.....I don't have the time to do legwork like this......(don't ask why I'm making this post at 2:06AM....fine, I'll tell you anyway, the newborn won't let me sleep)

First thing you need to establish is if CB is recruiting '10 or '11.... B)

I decided the non-stop flight option was an incorrect assumption.

There was a flight connecting to LaGuardia that leaves at 10AM this morning, and a 6AM flight to Hartford tomorrow.

I am opting for Raleigh-Durham over Charlotte...

Archived