UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

That is certainly a good point. And if it is the case, then there won't be a Yankee conference worth forming.

Therefore, the best possible option is a new football only conference.

Again, maybe it would be easier if the America East formed its football conference, and invited these non AE teams as associate football members:

Albany

Stony Brook

Maine

New Hampshire

URI

UMass

Fordham

CCSU

Then, we'd be able to exclude a10 members that are just too far away geographically... like dayton, richmond, and charlotte. UNH, UMass, Maine, & URI would change mostly to eliminate travel and its cost.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is certainly a good point. And if it is the case, then there won't be a Yankee conference worth forming.

Again, maybe it would be easier if the America East formed its football conference, and invited these non AE teams as associate football members:

Albany

Stony Brook

Maine

New Hampshire

URI

UMass

Fordham

CCSU

Then, we'd be able to exclude a10 members that are just too far away geographically... like dayton, richmond, and charlotte. UNH, UMass, Maine, & URI would change mostly to eliminate travel and its cost.

Quite frankly I don't see the AE having strong enough leadership to put this together...Nero is blah.....

- Pluck CCSU out of the NEC and bring them into the AE in all sports, this would be a very balance 10 team league.

- You'd have a lot of difficulty convincing Maine and UNH to leave the best FCS conference in the country for an upstart league that wouldn't be eligible for the playoffs for a couple of years.

- The AE had it's chance a number of years ago...supposedly a couple of the non-football schools nixed the proposal then, what's to say UVM and BU wouldn't be up in arms if the AE tried again?

Albany

Stony Brook

Maine

New Hampshire

URI

UMass

Fordham

CCSU

Quite frankly I don't see the AE having strong enough leadership to put this together...Nero is blah.....

- Pluck CCSU out of the NEC and bring them into the AE in all sports, this would be a very balance 10 team league.

- You'd have a lot of difficulty convincing Maine and UNH to leave the best FCS conference in the country for an upstart league that wouldn't be eligible for the playoffs for a couple of years.

- The AE had it's chance a number of years ago...supposedly a couple of the non-football schools nixed the proposal then, what's to say UVM and BU wouldn't be up in arms if the AE tried again?

I agree with a lot of your points, except the playoff one.

The league would indeed be eligible for the playoffs right away, but under the current rules would have to wait 2 years for an auto-qualifier.

With that being said, its pretty much a lock that the winner of the league in the 1st 2 years would get a bid to the playoffs.

There are two hurdles for a new league from UNH, Maine and Umass's perspective:

1. competitiveness of the league nationally - downgrade

2. scheduling. These teams are now guaranteed to get the big time CAA south schools to travel to their place every few years. Along with schools like Delaware, come fans. A lot of them. UNH has poor facilities (for CAA standards) if they are no longer in a league with the teams its almost a guarnatee that teams like Delaware, JMU, W&M, and Old Dominion will never step foot in Durham New Hampshire again. Same deal for Maine and URI. UMass on the other hand maybe able to get the better home and homes because of their attendance and stadium and pure geography.

Another potential:

Add Charlotte to the CAA and add a 14th team from the North. They'd have to move Delaware and Nova to the North.

Play an 8 conference game schedule with 2 games against the opposite division (1 home and 1 away). that's only 1 long trip per year for the Northern teams. That may be the compromise.

North

Maine

URI

UNH

UMass

Delaware

Villanova

Stony Brook/Fordham/Albany

South

JMU

ODU

Towson

Richmond

W&M

Ga. St.

Charlotte

If this were to happen, we'd need to hope that UMass, UNH, URI and Maine would fight for us. We'd be a much easier travel partner than either Fordham or SBU.

... a joint A10/AEast football league would consist of:

Albany

Stony Brook

Maine

New Hampshire

URI

Richmond

UMass

Fordham

Charlotte

Could the AEast and A10 jointly sponsor this new league?

Pretty much along the same lines as the one I mentioned.... with the added value of Richmond. Would the addition of Richmond make it appealing then, or would it be perceived as a 'downgrade' ?

... a joint A10/AEast football league would consist of:

Albany

Stony Brook

Maine

New Hampshire

URI

Richmond

UMass

Fordham

Charlotte

Could the AEast and A10 jointly sponsor this new league?

Pretty much the same idea.... with the added value of Richmond. Would that additional make it appealing then, or would it be perceived as a 'downgrade' ?

Its a better league with all of the full-scholarship A10 teams playing (sans Duquense and Dayton), but its still a downgrade from the CAA. At least initially it will be.

Plus it provides another two major media markets that are easy to travel to (Richmond and Charlotte).

The problem is its essentially the CAA's current problem in reverse. The travel costs for Richmond and Charlotte would be huge in that scenario. Everyone else is bussing to 6 out of 8 conference games. Richmond and Charlotte would be flying all away games except Richmond.

Another potential:

Add Charlotte to the CAA and add a 14th team from the North. They'd have to move Delaware and Nova to the North.

Play an 8 conference game schedule with 2 games against the opposite division (1 home and 1 away). that's only 1 long trip per year for the Northern teams. That may be the compromise.

North

Maine

URI

UNH

UMass

Delaware

Villanova

Stony Brook/Fordham/Albany

South

JMU

ODU

Towson

Richmond

W&M

Ga. St.

Charlotte

If this were to happen, we'd need to hope that UMass, UNH, URI and Maine would fight for us. We'd be a much easier travel partner than either Fordham or SBU.

This might make the most sense. And the least complicated.

This might make the most sense. And the least complicated.

I agree. Its actually just two leagues run by the same office with a scheduling arrangement.

And we wouldn't totally be shut out here because its very likely in this scenario that we could see a swap with URI (us to the CAA and them to the NEC and less scholarships).

There also some smoke around Nova right now. Some of the football alumns have said that they have been approached recently by the AD to discuss the potential move up to FBS and the Big East.

If those two things happen you could have this league:

North

Maine

UNH

UMass

Delaware

Stony Brook

Fordham

Albany

South

JMU

ODU

Towson

Richmond

W&M

Ga. St.

Charlotte

How clear is it that URI wants a downgrade? It's a big step down.

And it makes total sense that if anyone in the CAA wants to move to the fbs, it would be easiest for a big east member like 'nova, who can move right into their own conference. Interesting gossip there.

Nova does not have the automatic entry into the Big East (though I cant see the BE saying no). That ship has sailed (time constraints were put on the automatic move). Remember, they were not a founding member of the BE (from what I remember).

Nova does not have the automatic entry into the Big East (though I cant see the BE saying no). That ship has sailed (time constraints were put on the automatic move). Remember, they were not a founding member of the BE (from what I remember).

In reading the conversations on the AGS board....they had an open invite until '99 if memory serves but that ship has sailed according to the posters on AGS. They were not the founding members but came in a year later...again, if the information on the AGS board is correct.

Regardless of an auto entry or not, I'm sure they'd welcome them. It's a relatively small football conference, in comparison to others in the fbs.

How about Fordham and the Patriot league... have they expressed interest in leaving? It's a scholarship issue, isn't it?

I'd hope the fact that stony brook recently left the nec and committed to the big south, that Albany would be given preference to the caa north.

Regardless of an auto entry or not, I'm sure they'd welcome them. It's a relatively small football conference, in comparison to others in the fbs.

How about Fordham and the Patriot league... have they expressed interest in leaving? It's a scholarship issue, isn't it?

I'd hope the fact that stony brook recently left the nec and committed to the big south, that Albany would be given preference to the caa north.

Screw the caa or the possible recreation of the yankee conference and the a10. I'll really follow albany football if this conference offers us membership lol

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4735336

Screw the caa or the possible recreation of the yankee conference and the a10. I'll really follow albany football if this conference offers us membership lol

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=4735336

Fordie versus Joe Pa! Legends collide.

we could save money by replicating the famous Delaware pee wall instead of urinals

http://i235.photobuc...en/IMG_5453.jpg

(link instead of picture for the delicate-minded)

Hold up....you telling me you just walk up and piss on a wall...? LOL laugh.gif

An Italian marble wall at that.

An FCS football fan "must do before you die". laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

is this for real?? you gotta be kidding!

Archived