UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

In that article, Maine's coach Cosgrove said:

He would like to see two former Southern Division teams bumped into a Northern Division with the New England teams. He suggests Delaware and Villanova.

I can't imagine Delaware and Villanova would favor it. And the league isn't about to start messing around with those teams.

Hold on a minute!.......Delaware and Villanova better be in favor of it!.......otherwise the CAA drops to 7 members in 2011 and/or 8 members in 2012. That doesn't even include Villanova, which even though they don't have many ties to the NE4.......I'm not sure how they feel about staying in a Southern league that includes one close rival (Delaware).......and a bunch of schools in Virginia and Atlanta? Does Villanova recruit most of their students from the South? Does the CAA REALLY want to constrict down to 7 or 8 programs with the specter of JMU and/or ODU and/or Georgia State going to an FBS situation??? Does the CAA REALLY want to lose all of New England, New York/Long Island as a recruiting ground for students and student-athletes, and also lose any media coverage that they currently receive? The CAA is in a pretty precarious situation now that full conference members NU and Hofstra dropped the ball (no pun intended). I've been saying that as long as the NE4 stick together on this one (or at least Maine, UNH, and UMass do)......there is power in numbers at the momenet.......but they need to play their cards right!

From a NE4 point of view.......the best thing that could happen would be this:

1. Stay committed to the CAA and demand that Delaware and Villanova be placed in the North come 2012 when Georgia State joins.

2. Hope that Charlotte in admitted in 2013 and demand that a Northern team also be admitted to the North (this opens up a slot for Albany, Stony Brook or Fordham). This would give Albany 3 more years to get their house in order facilities and scholarship wise.

That sounds quite a bit more difficult than just adding two quality teams to the CAA North. Replace the dropped programs, nothing more. There's alot of things that would need to fall into place, for your version to work.

Also, they'd be making demands on the CAA. That's bold, antagonistic (or at least could be interpreted that way) and most likely unnecessary. Villanova might be gone to the FBS, and that wouldn't matter if you just add 2 new teams.

Your idea doesn't sound very pro-Albany. What, you don't want us?

That sounds quite a bit more difficult than just adding two quality teams to the CAA North. Replace the dropped programs, nothing more. There's alot of things that would need to fall into place, for your version to work.

Also, they'd be making demands on the CAA. That's bold, antagonistic (or at least could be interpreted that way) and most likely unnecessary. Villanova might be gone to the FBS, and that wouldn't matter if you just add 2 new teams.

Your idea doesn't sound very pro-Albany. What, you don't want us?

Of course I want Albany in the CAA......but I said upfront that I'm looking at this from the NE4 point of view.

I'll ask you this again.........do you think that the CAA wants to drop to 7 members (6 league games) for 2011 and 8 members (7 league games) for 2012??? Maybe Delaware does because they think that they can buy as many OOC games as they want.......but I doubt that the other schools feel the same way.

By the way........most of the Delaware fans have been complete a-holes about all of this. They really are the most egotistical FCS fans out there!!!! (even topping UMass!). I'd love to see the NE teams ditch the CAA eventually......and JMU/ODU/GSU leave for the FBS........leaving Delaware to wallow with Towson in their own 2 team league......LOL.

Big 10 expansion update at 4pm EST today.

While it will take a few dominos to fall before it reaches us, a team moving from the Big East (e.g. Rutgers) or another FBS league to the Big Ten could effect our future standing.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/more/wires/12/15/2080.ap.big.ten.expansion.0103/

Big 10 expansion update at 4pm EST today.

While it will take a few dominos to fall before it reaches us, a team moving from the Big East (e.g. Rutgers) or another FBS league to the Big Ten could effect our future standing.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/more/wires/12/15/2080.ap.big.ten.expansion.0103/

Absolutely! It's gonna be interesting. Notre Dame would not affect as much......pulling a team in from another conference would.

I have to think this starts the BE implosion we all argued would happen.

The BE football schools need a big television contract...need a conference title game...and need to add teams. I have to think they would not want to lose Rutgers, Syracuse, Pitt or West Virginia...the obvious expansion choices IMHO.

Look for the BE to scramble...pick up Memphis, E. Carolina...and one other. I would not be shocked to see ND be that "One other" or UCF and/or FIU.

The BE football schools need a big television contract...need a conference title game...and need to add teams. I have to think they would not want to lose Rutgers, Syracuse, Pitt or West Virginia...the obvious expansion choices IMHO.

Look for the BE to scramble...pick up Memphis, E. Carolina...and one other. I would not be shocked to see ND be that "One other" or UCF and/or FIU.

Agreed Dane96! Good to hear from you. I've wanted to chime in on AGS but I can't stand that site (esp. that prick 89Hen)!

I think you nailed it about the Big East........i hadn't thought about that with the Big Ten announcement. If the Big East football schools split and are looking for 3 more members......that REALLY changes the landscape and will no doubt affect the A-10/CAA/AE/NEC.

Agreed Dane96! Good to hear from you. I've wanted to chime in on AGS but I can't stand that site (esp. that prick 89Hen)!

I think you nailed it about the Big East........i hadn't thought about that with the Big Ten announcement. If the Big East football schools split and are looking for 3 more members......that REALLY changes the landscape and will no doubt affect the A-10/CAA/AE/NEC.

I've been trying to get him to come over to CS.com for a while to no avail.

Archived